1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSU Mod/Sleeving

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Amjedm, 4 Jun 2006.

1. Amjedm

Amjedm Minimodder

Not sure if this is in the right forum.

Was going to mod a psu but need some help please as the only mods I've done to power supplies are change the fans.

I have a Enermax Noisetaker 370w ver 1.3. This has copper shielding on the main ATX and 12V, Aux and one molex connector. On top of this there is rigid clear plastic sleeving (about 3mm thick). I was going to remove the plastic and copper sleeving so I could route the cables better in a P180 case.

I only removed the heatshrink from both ends of the ATX cable to find the black wires don't have any sleeving, i.e. they are completely bare. This explains the rigid clear sleeving along with the copper sleeving.

Questions are

1. The black wires - are these ground only? If yes, any danger if they were to touch the case or other parts?

2. If I remove the clear sleeving I am going put some tape over the exposed wires and then use heatshrink on the whole ATX connector as well as the other cables (listed above). Any problems with this apart from they won't be flexible?

3. If I use the heatshrink - is this sufficient protection for the wires?

4. Any other tips?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited: 4 Jun 2006
  2. low_violet

low_violet What's a Dremel?

Black wires are ground only, but make sure there is sufficient insulation on them to make sure you don't get any sparks that could blow the PSU...

Don't bother with tape, that was a mistake I made before. Just use heat shrink to cover any exposed ends. As long as it sticks off the end of the wire and shrinks down to a small enough diameter you will be OK.

3. Amjedm

Amjedm Minimodder

Thanks for the information - much appreciated.

I was going to have a go at removing the clear plastic but after you're advice I won't.

The ground wires on the ATX are bare (as stated earlier) and actually wrapped around the other wires. I was shocked to discover this as I thought the silver bit around the main ATX was just some copper sleeving and not the wires themselves.