1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony Blu-ray player delayed again

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 12 Jun 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Can be another two years late as far as I'm concerned.

The need to switch from DVD to HD-DVD/Blu-Ray at this point is not necessary.

3. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Same here i'll be waiting a couple of years

4. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

what kind of stupid world do we live in where the movies are guaranteed to come out on June 25, but the players could be delayed for months? Who would bother to buy the movies if they couldn't play them? I can see rich guys who love their toys buying a player when only 1 movie was available, but movies without a player?

From the beginning, I was rooting for Blu-ray -- after all, it's technologically superior at least in terms of storage capacity. It SHOULD have also had the benefit of greater technological readiness, since I keep hearing stories about how Blu-ray players have been out in Japan for at least a couple years.

Now, with Blu-ray's "superior" DRM rumors, it's "superior" price (why the high cost for technology that's been mass produced in Japan already?), it's lateness to market (after it could have had an advantage due to the delay in HD-DVD), and the fact that sony likes to show off its ineptitude in knowing what consumers want (see: their stupid rootkit CD's), I'm beginning to have my doubts if I'll bother with either of the two HD formats. They probably won't be around that long anyway -- VHS stuck around at least 20 years before an upgrade (DVD) was available, DVD's only been around for about 6 years and it's getting upgraded...so if we progress the trend in an irrational way ( :D ), HD-DVD and Blu-ray should be obsolete in about 2.3 years. Will players even be under $100 by then? Probably not...I'm waiting for my holographic disks in Super HiDef.

5. phat-ant

phat-ant What's a Dremel?

hehe EQC i like the sound of Super HiDef :p
    but for now id love to have a basic blueray / hd-dvd 5.25" drive but seeing the cost of a blueray drive they are taking the piss. i was one of the first on the dvdrw band wagon paying some 260 quid for a 2x dvd burner but i sure as hell wont be paying 550+ quid for a damn blueray drive.
    all i want is a player only so i can watch the hidef movies on my widescreen tft :)

6. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

Yer I agree with you Phat-ant... I am going to wait at least 2/3 years to see what the state of play is between the two formats and see if, by then, it'll be easier to see what format is the more popular and is being implemented to a greater degree... then ill make a decision, but only then...

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Like with my DVDs, I really have no plans to get a HD player of either format. I'll get one drive for my PC of the winning format (as far as -R storage, I'd hope it's blu-ray, but in the long run I'd much rather have HD-DVD), rip my movies to an XviD format and be done with it. Of course, that's after DVD Jon puts out DeAACS, but he's got the website for it and is probably just waiting for a drive to reverse engineer.

TBH, I think both formats will be dead in the water if there's even some moderate change to online video-on-demand. If the internet isn't shut down entirely (which isn't entirely unreasonable with some of the laws we've seen recently), I'd imagine considerably faster speeds will be available and content providers will eventually do the math.

8. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

doesnt affect my plans atall, im not going to be an early investor
    When BD R/w drives are reasonably priced, and the media, i might get 1 for backup, but i dont care until then

9. 3.5SE

3.5SE What's a Dremel?

I think that when both camps realize that the consumers are sitting on the fence about which format to choose that they will be back at the table and ready to green light dual format players / recorders. This way they both profit from the sale of their media and the consumer wins too. Right now it's greed talking about who's going to win the format war. I'm riding it out.

10. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

None of this is even worth bothering about until Studio's start using HD Camera's to record footage, and thats all a long way off.

The current films available on HD Format are not full HD quality. Sure they look a little better, but are just ported over.

According to the BBC, Holywood film studios are holding off on moving to HD recording because of quality being too high. Make-up no longer works the same way and actors are starting to look like real people and not models. Currently all major make-up manufacturers are trying to find a solution. Another alternative being worked on is real time digital editing. It's still in its infancy but making very good progress. Holywood studios have stated that they will not embrace HD Recording fully until a solution is in place.

Although apparently Vivid (XXX production company) have been recording in HD for 3 years. I was sure that those girls did not look as good as they used too....hmmmmm

11. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

thats a load of crap, the picture quality of studio masters is still miles ahead, aslong as they use the master, we will still get HD content, we will slowly work our way up to the point where we practically have a master copy in our homes

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

will wait until the format wars is over and buy one of the winning format players 1 year after.

13. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I'd rather have a dish washer TBH, I could almost buy 3 for the price of a BR player too.

As with almost everyone, I'm waiting till the format war is over, or untill I am willing to buy a PS3 after a few price drops.

14. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

i want an explanation dangit! theyve had years to perfect it, whats the holdup. they already said all br players will be firmware upgradable, just give it to us and fix the problems with a fw update

if ps3 is delayed till after christmas, wii and 360 will take over, esp if 360 has a hddvd drive by christmas. not that i care about ps3 (i wanna wii-lol), but its crucial to br penetration (hmm... that didnt sound right)

15. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I'm still holding out for smello-vision where you can smell the action!
    even on a tech enthusiast site it seems like you would be troubled to find an early adopter in this format war especially when we all know there will be a <$200 player in the not so distant future and besides I suppose I need something that can play hi definition content too.
    I'm also holding out for the Dynamic backlighting technology that bit tech previewed.

16. Rjcc

Rjcc What's a Dremel?

17. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

I'm with you....from what I've seen, Brightside is amazing.

Also: according to arstechnica, the delay is partially due to getting the AACS encryption to work properly, and partly to make sure all the players work with whatever it is the studios want to put on their disks.... Maybe that second point is valid (although they've had years to get it right....), but delaying things to put harsher DRM is just lame.

18. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

There are many reasons to avoid HD movie formats, but this isn't one of them. Movies from big studios are generally shot on 35mm film, which has a resolution of 4,096 × 4,096. It'll be a while yet before consumer formats catch up. :)

19. friskies

friskies What's a Dremel?

You will all buy a player and you will love it.

20. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

The first blu ray player on the market will be the PS3.

Tags: Add Tags