1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Heat - update 18-06-06

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by c.u.later, 28 May 2006.

1. c.u.later

c.u.later What's a Dremel?

Well, my naming sucks but here goes.

I've been getting fed up of my boring old matx pc, although it is qute powerful enough for me, the case looks a little bland. So when I got an old case off a friend, I looked at it, and it seemed to be the perfect size for my PC.
    I have no idea what the case is called, but it measures around 40x40x25cm (I think anway, haven't taken accurate measurements, just guesstimates.)

Anyway, onto the work. I plan to fit a watercooling loop in this case, a dual 120mm radiator, cpu and gpu blocks etc. First some shots of the insides of the case:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

basically showing how the case is layed out, with what appears to be very little room to place all I wanted.

Then the outsides, already sprayed as I began work before I started thinking of making it a project log:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

showing the paintjob in its current state.

and onto my next post:

Last edited: 18 Jun 2006
  2. c.u.later

continued:

I started stripping the case down, to see how much room there actually was to work:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ok, not very detailed, but showing the space available to me to install all this.
    then I started to unscrew the mobo, and surprisingly, this case has a removable motherboard tray!

[​IMG]

seeing this makes it a heck of a lot easier to work on, but I think I've already worked out the placement of the radiator, on the floor of the case blowing downwards, and it still leaves enough space for my motherboard.

[​IMG]

and that's basically where I'm at at the moment, just waiting to replace my dremel-clone as it came without some bits, such as the arbour! :miffed:

until next time,

c.u.later

Last edited: 12 Jun 2006
  3. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Looks like a cool project, but have you researched into if you can overclock that processor or not? Watercooling would prove unnessisary and expensive if you can't. Just thinking of your wallet.

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

i dont think he is using that hard ware, and im not sure you can WC a slot mounted CPU

5. c.u.later

o yeah, I'm not using what's in there :blush: just to clear that up, I am using:

Athlon64 3000+ Winnie
    Sapphire Matx board
    Nvidia 7600gt
    420w Aspire PSU / anything else if I can afford it
    DVD Burner
    160GB Hdd

c.u.later

6. c.u.later

01-01-06 update

well, got all my tools together today, and I decided to go with a Nexxos block afterwards as it is more suited to my setup. some pics of the watercooling I have:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as you can see, I also purchased a dremel-clone to help me in my work :D

c.u.later

Last edited: 12 Jun 2006
  7. c.u.later

Well, another small update before my exams finish and I can get started properly, so here goes:

I marked out and cut the mounting holes for the Radiator:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And also helping with some of the trickier cutting, my dad :p

[​IMG]

Then I filed down the edges to a smooth finish, and I'm just awaiting bolts to attatch the rad, should get an updat on sat/sunday

[​IMG]

EDIT: What do you reckon of the paintjob? looks a little bland tbh, was thinking having inverted color flames from the front, sound cool? any other suggestions?

c.u.later

8. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

I'm not quite sure on the paintjob, looks a bit odd in my eyes.

Anyway, I see you've already cut the hole for the rad. Does the rad leave enough clearance for the motherboard when it's inside? I hope it does, otherwise you'd have to fix up a new placement scheme for the rad...

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Welcome to the club of that-looking-case modders :) I guess you wont have terrible space-issues as you can keep the PSU in it's original place.. That case is very wide which give surprisingly much space!

Mankz_91: Yes, you can WC a slot-processor. Why not?

10. c.u.later

I gotta agree ReFredzRate, I thought it would look quite cool but it changes too quickly instead of fading as I'd hoped for :duh:

any suggestions on other paint schemes I could try?, always liked a metallic black or purple myself...

c.u.later

11. Axly

Axly slo-mo...dder

Ohh, an Enlight-case :)
    I just started up "Junior 2" this weekend on his own first case-mod. (I suspect I'll be doing quite a lot of the work for him, he's only 12 after all) Anyway, we're using a case just like yours as the base for the mod. Very nice to see someone else re-using those "old faithfuls"

12. Jipa

Yeah these are were pretty common cases in their times. Many clone-manufacturers using the same frame with different front panel :) I guess ppl usually find these too small in height or something as atleast I haven't seen any of these modified before.

13. Axly

Axly slo-mo...dder

We're going for psu and optical units on top of the existing case, so a "raising job" is coming up.. I'm quite curious how the rad will be mounted in this case, cause these cases are quite small.

14. c.u.later

The Rad will be mounted on the floor, with spacers to raise the case to let air circulate through it. You should see this in the next update as I've already fitted the fans, just the bolts need to be modified to left the shrouds fit.

I *MAY* be getting a 975x mobo and an 805d processor to fit in this case, or maybe an SLI capable mobo as I'd like SLI in the future, but I'm not sure if Nforce 4 will support conroe, anyone know?

c.u.later

15. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

go for an Intel Bad Axe mobo...

its a 975X board, but it has 3 x x16 PCI-E so you can get the atir treble Crossfire / phsicis working...

and, over on XS its the Ocers board o'choice (i think?)

16. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

name: What about RnB? (from red and blue off course...)

nice paintjob by the way!!

17. c.u.later

Update 15-06-06

Well, I've finally managed to mount the radiator in the case floor after a little trouble :D

so here goes:

[​IMG]

^picture of the original fan screw size

[​IMG]

^ and the bolts I put in, about twice the size, so I had to drill the holes out

[​IMG]

^one of the fans attached to the shroud

[​IMG]

^ both fans attached to the bottom of the case

[​IMG]

Then I ran into a bit of trouble, the heads on the bolts meant the shroud would no longer reach the screw holes on the side of the rad.
    To fix this I did this:

[​IMG]

^ cut out the corners! :dremel:

[​IMG]

^ corners cut out, and now it fits :D

[​IMG]

^the rad mounted to the shroud and fans, now in its home :D

and that's about it for todays update, expect another one either tomorrow night or on the weekend, exams finish tomorrow so should have a lot more time to get this done! :rock:

c.u.later

18. c.u.later

update 18-06-06

well, got it all in and a dry run of tubing going :D

only a few pics today:

[​IMG]
    the cpu block I'm using, an alphacool Nexxos

[​IMG]
    overview of my setup, tubing a little longer than I'd like but only way to stop kinking.

[​IMG]
    zoom in between pump and res, just cos i could :p

any comments?

c.u.later

19. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

why have u placed the pump on top of the radiator :confused:

20. Jipa

I guess and hope the pump placing is just temporare (ofcourse there's not much space but enought for a pump, right?)

But why is other fan blowing and other sucking air through the radiator? :eek: Some kind of feedback/loop :p