1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple osx see xp?

Discussion in 'Software' started by phaSe, 14 Jun 2006.

1. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys,
    Im getting more and more tempted by these little Macbook things :rock: Im not sure if this is a silly question, but if you have two partitions with bootcamp, so you can run xp and osx, can each operating system 'see' the other partition?

I would be suprised if they couldnt though!

thanks,
    RoB

2. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

So you mean, tranferring data between them? I dont thibk that tranfering data is possible with boot camp but the other OS's do detect other partitions and "know" that they are there. But no data tranfer, the OS can be changed in a second or to with a ctrl command and you can access anything quickly and on the fly...
    And you can also run a flavour of Linux e.g. Ubuntu etc...

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Seeing as OSX is *nix based, it should be able to see the Windows (NTFS) partition, but not be able to write to it.
    I don't think there's a way of making Windows see the Mac (HFS) partition.

4. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Hmz.. I don't think you'll beable to read/write date from the other os-partitions. You could however make a 'work-partition' in format that bouth can read/write too.. but that still leaves the question if you can use it in os x and xp at the same time.

Don't know for sure

5. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

thanks guys, it seems it wasnt as simple a question as id thought!

i was really wondering as ill be using the laptop for work and being able to use files under both OSs would be really useful.

It sounds like i would need two smaller partions for the OSs and programs, and then another one formatted in such a way that they could both read/write to it (not at the same time).

Does anyone knoe what file system that would need to be?

Thanks again,
    RoB

6. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

to answer the question, yes OS X can see both a NTFS partition or a FAT32 partition with windows xp installed on it. However, OS X cannot write to a ntfs partition, it can write to a fat32 partition.

Windows xp does not see the HFS+ partition that mac os x sits on.

edit: also, in the next release of OS X (Leopard) supposedly they will support concurrent operation of os x & windows

7. K

K 528491

So you could format your drive so that it has three partitions: HFS+ (for OS X), NTFS (for XP) and then Fat32 (for all your files)?

8. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

thanks cderalow! That was a nicely complete answer :rock:

Three partitions it is then i think!

RoB

9. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

yes
    but then you have to put up with the inadequacies of fat32 :p

10. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

i've found it's just easier to use an external fat32 formatted hard drive, or a good sized usb key to keep any files I want to swap between os x and windows xp on my mbp

means I can have the largest possible partitions for the operating systems to sit on

11. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

12. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Umm... why has nobody touched upon this little gem of an app...?

Mediafour's Macdrive 6 is an excellent little program for WinXP that lets you read and write onto OS X HFS+ formatted drives and provides a slew of other options for you too.

But unfortunately, as others have touched on as well, so far there isn't any way for OS X users to write onto HTFS formatted drives.

edit: my bad, seems someone already has mentioned this.

13. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I'm sure this is redundant by now, but it's 3am so I just don't care:

Out of the box, OSX will see the XP partition. If it's NTFS, it's read-only; if it's FAT32 (only an option if the partition is under 32GB in size during setup), it's readable and writable. XP will not see or be able to use the OSX partition without some help from other software.

It's a bit of a PITA, but your best bet would just be a thumb drive or even email attachments for small stuff.

14. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

15. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

For reading from and writing to a HFS+ drive in Windows XP there is a little program called TransMac. I use it for my HFS+ extern haddrives. I reckon this should work perfectly for this.

So just save your files on the OS X drive.. and use transmac to transfer them too your XP drive. Note: you can't run files true this transmac, you need to copy them to the xp drive.

Good luck,
    L

16. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

thanks everyone! :rock: now i just need to find some ££££!

and nice googling dreamtheendless :blush:

RoB

Tags: