1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Has the RIAA done in file-sharing?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 14 Jun 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick What's a Dremel?

I just read about this story at http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=14947&Page=1&pagePos=5

this is just blatant propaganda to make them feel good about themselves while they sue helpless and defenseless college students. Since just about all file-sharing nowadays is decentralized (not including trackers), they will never be able to get rid of file-sharing, it will always adapt to get around whatever is done :-/

3. Glider

Glider /dev/null

1 word: NO :) Nor will they ever do ;)

4. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

Theres only one way the RIAA will put an end to music sharing/piracy....... make it all free!
    You go to the artists website to download the tracks, they get their income from adverts on the page.

No more need for big recording companies.. no more funding for RIAA

5. Glider

Glider /dev/null

In other words, let them pull a Google ;) But that isn't a good option, since 99% of the people nowadays use a adblocker or the likes...

6. quack

quack Minimodder

The words "Mission Accomplished" come to mind.

7. fev

fev Industry Fallout

if i want any song at all it takes no longer than 3 minutes to find it for free, so no they've done nothing at all. They've just made it harder for those who's understanding of P2P went as far as kazaa

8. Lo Pan

Lo Pan What's a Dremel?

Stupid people, P2P isn't all just the huge p2p databases in the major clients. P2P is anything that groups of people decide to share, it's a client/server system that cannot be brought down.

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

This is great news. If the RIAA focusses on something else, and everyone takes the spotlight off file sharing, it benefits all parties. The RIAA can say "we did it, we rock", the record companies can smile and feel smart, the public can go back to doing whatever they did before mass P2P, and the geeks who want to can keep doing whatever they want.

10. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Lets let their ignorance to the reality of the situation persist. Then all the stupidity can come to a close and we can be happy.

11. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I totally agree with specofdust and RotoSequence. If they think it's over everyone is happy.

-ed out

12. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

Limewire? :rock:

But as said: If they think its over, who are we to argue. :p

13. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

yes!yes!

ATTENTION RIAA:

You are great and powerful. We cower before your authority. We concede and will no longer pirate the timeless classical music by artists such as britney spears and ,err, whatever crap my thirteen year old sister listens to now. We will return to paying fifteen usd for a cd with one good song and/or downloading drmed/rootkit laden low quality overcompressed mp3s from apple(teh evil) which only work on crappy low quality low capacity incompatible ipods. You win, we bow to you. You may now go back to your fancy california homes and rest peacefully and never think about p2p again as you have successfully vanquished it. It no longer exists. Pay no attention to the seeder behind the curtain.

14. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Sharing was still alive and very much kicking last time I checked :naughty:

This sort of thing cannot be stopped altogether, no forms of 'piracy' can as there are far too many clever people out there.

15. markles077

markles077 What's a Dremel?

Ok.

Ok. So it's over. BAM. Done with...... Sure. Nothing to see here. Move right along. :worried:

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
    i think....wait......HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHA!!!!!!1111LOL....ok...i think they are the best and stoped ALL piracy in the world and deserve a reward, (a big golden cup of p**s and s*it) and now album sales will go true the roof......er.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! ...........sorry could not contain my self, i realy laughed realy loud when i read this story.

17. specofdust

specofdust Banned

God this thread has turned childish. It almost makes me wish I was an anti-pirate just so I could shout at some people and challange views.

Why is it that when piracy is talked about maturity so frequently seems to jump out of the window?

18. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

Specofdust, I'll see if I can try to bring some maturity back into the topic by asking a (reasonable) question :)

How exactly does the RIAA think that it has successfully stamped out file sharing? I mean... what do they think they did/what proof do they have that piracy has declined? Cause as far as I can tell, the article doesn't mention any of that.

*Off topic*
    Lazarus Dark - it appears as though we live in the same city :eeek:

19. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Hasn't anyone ever told you "Never let the truth get in the way of a good arguement?"

20. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

Cthippo, I'm sorry for thinking! :wallbash: :eek:

But really - I mean have they said that digital music sales (i.e. iTunes, etc.) have gone up? Or that they've shut down a significant number of p2p sites/programs? Or are they just going with a "gut feeling" that things are "getting better"?

Tags: Add Tags