1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Dark Blade by G69T

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G69T, 30 Nov 2004.

1. jonnyroy

jonnyroy What's a Dremel?

Hard drives have powerful magnets inside already, so putting magets neer a HD is not necessarely bad, however mooving magnets or pulstaing electromagnets (ie. video caset erasers, or external screen degausser) are deadly because they disorient the bits on the platter.

2. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

thats what I thought.

3. CrazyModder

CrazyModder What's a Dremel?

I been following your log for months now " G69T ", I joined this forum just to pay my respects; fraking amazing job :jawdrop: , keep going :thumb: and I will keep reading. You work has inspired my and others, thanks :clap:

4. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

wow guys, I didn't mean the magnet bit seriously. it was just an analogy to the level of craziness this project is at.

G69T please update us!!!

5. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

Very nice man, shows what you can do when you have the tools and skill :)
    However, i think other people who actually have to measure, mod, calculate - i think they deserve credit
    Not to say your work isnt awesome, or that you dont think about it, but its alot harder doing things manually - and accuratly

A couple of points though
    1. How you going to do the idicators then, beacause atm you have 2 lights in allready, but you want the backlight to change colour when there is activity

2. The empty ports (atleast i assume they are empty ports) are rather high, and wont actually remove all the water from the system, also their very buryed -> making a tube closer to the outside so you can actually drain the system without dismantaling the case would be good

Their all i can think of atm

6. anarklov3r

anarklov3r What's a Dremel?

What water pump are you using? i need something that size for my mod :)

7. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

That looks like an Eheim 600.

8. yahooadam

Oh yeh that was another thing i was going to mention - the blades in the resovoirs really seem to impede water flow, before you were getting a turbine in there or whatever, now the blades move, and with an extra waterblock in there you could see how much slower it moved ...

9. SerKurtis

SerKurtis What's a Dremel?

It's a NewJet 1200. Like this
    It's a pump made in Italy, cheaper and quite powerful.

10. Daniel

Daniel What's a Dremel?

Impressive work..

11. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

All the water that flows into the res will flow out. No matter the course it takes (IE vortex or no)

I believe that somewhere in the logs its explained why the fins are there, i think that without the vortex, the heat is more evenly distributed... not sure though.

12. khendjara'aro

khendjara'aro What's a Dremel?

were it possible to spend $600,000 on computer hardware and components to put in this case, it would still not do it justice.

anything short of an 80 GHz processor should not even be considered.

i give up.

13. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

the fins are there to act as a sort of heatsink in the rez, it evens out the water temperature throught out the water so there are no hot and cold spots
    also they look damn sexy!
    good work G69T

14. yahooadam

however the pumps has to move them around, the energy has to come from somewhere, but i guess if it actually has a purpose it does make sense

15. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

you can see here that the fins move quite freely anyway and would not impeede flow too much

16. Forvak

Forvak What's a Dremel?

This is absolutely amazing. I know, you've heard it all before, but tremendous job. Im about to start a case from scratch using tools a bit smaller than yours, but now I realize that my plans dont even begin to scratch the potential of machining. I can't wait until the next update. I repeat what others have said, you should consider looking at getting the big names to sponsor you for the parts. This peice of art deserves nothing less than the best. Im another guy whos just registered to subscribe to this thread. Great job!

17. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

If you are bringing energy into this, then the heat from the water makes the fins spin... :rolleyes:

I was just talking pressure, cause thats what cooling systems use, not speed, water doesnt compress easily, so the pressure in the system should remain constant in a constant environment. However all the wiggles and niggles in water blocks would def. create a higher speed in that are, all the water that enters the WB will still leave the water block at the same time, to make for the decrease travel space, the speed increases, but the pressure remains constant.

Thats how i see it as working, but i assume that with as much planning as GT69 has done that either its benificial, or he got better pumps to compensate for them.

18. Nutty

Nutty What's a Dremel?

This is the far coolest mod I've ever seen! Really, really nice work! Looking forward to see the final result!!!

19. yahooadam

The heat from the water does not drive the fins, there is no converter in the system to change the heat energy into movement energy

Also beacause it is a centrifugal pump, a higher resistance through the loop will cause the water to flow (beacause nothing stops it slowing down) if it was a piston pump then the water would be forced through, but the compression cycle would be slowed by a higher pressure

Imagine it this way, you have a pump pushing water through a 1/2" barb, you then join a 1/4" barb - the resistance has increased, and the water flows out at a much slower rate

20. anarklov3r

anarklov3r What's a Dremel?

umm hey just a quick note..

that pump clearly states on the label

MAX 35c celcius..
    now..

most watercooling rigs under full load will still remain over 35c...

maybe you should check up what happens if water temperature raises above 35c?? it wouldbe a shame if that thing died on ya