1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Fairly Complex Window Design

Discussion in 'Modding' started by HapeMask, 23 Jan 2006.

1. HapeMask

HapeMask What's a Dremel?

I'm hoping to paint this symbol below onto my case's window in either black or white spraypaint (haven't decided which yet), along with some other things to be done later. I'm having trouble deciding how to mask it out, and I was thinking about just printing it out (its a 3k x 3x px JPG so I can print it fairly large) and then cutting out bits with an exacto knife, but I'm wondering if there's a better way. For the thin lines I was thinking of using a very thin white paint marker or something of the sort. Any suggestions?

Symbol (congrats to the first person to recognize it):
    [​IMG]

My poor plain case :):
    [​IMG]

2. doryakov

doryakov What's a Dremel?

your opinion is ok .

3. obzelite

obzelite What's a Dremel?

i'd reverse engrave it, fill it fluro paint then mount uv leds in the sides of teh perspex so the logo glows.

4. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

5. MonkeyTurnip

MonkeyTurnip What's a Dremel?

i second the vinyl decal idea

6. HapeMask

Stickers

I really like the sticker idea, especially because I wouldn't have to rely on my so-so painting skills, and it'll be removable. The one thing that might be a concern is the price of the sticker and the fact that vinyl stickers show air bubbles very clearly. I'll have to send them an illustrator file later today and see what they say in terms of $$.

7. Gto

Gto What's a Dremel?

^^ so im guessing you making a Full Metal Alchemist window will look sweet man, the vinyl idea is a good one but i imagine it would be pricey.

What i would do is goto a hobby shop and buy that rubbery paint stuff they sell for masking off stuff, then print the logo and place it on the opposite side to the one you want it sprayed onto, then masking tape it so it wont move, flip the plexi over and paint over all the lines on the sheet you want in the window pattern as accurate as you can. once thats all done let the rubbery stuff dry then just spray a light amount of white paint over the whole thing, then coat over it again but this time only right near the pattern lines that way when it dries you can get a kinda sandblast effect going on (you know like on the glass doors). once the paint is dry peel off all the rubber thingy and you should have a really nice looking window, Good luck m8. (also just though, you can spray it with that snow spray stuff you use at christmas on ya windows, to get that sandblast looking effect even more accurate instead of spray paint).

8. obzelite

they only really show air bubbles under big areas, thin lines are usually no problem.
    easy way to apply them is to put a drop of washing liquid into a spray bottle and spray the area u want the sticker, apply the sticker and squeegee the air and water out.

9. Gto

Gto What's a Dremel?

That will work really good if it was window tint, but vinyl is thicker so i imagine small air pockets that will remain etc, but they still wont be noticable unless you are u are up-close to the window. Also squeeging such thin vinyl lines might end up ripping it etc?

10. obzelite

Vinyl does come in different thicknesses, but every one we use here is thinner than window tint, the only advantage of window tint is that you can be fairly brutal with it compared to vinyl, other than that you apply them basically the same way.
    And using a squeegee isn’t a problem if the application tape used to hold the whole design together is decent. 3M make a clear application tape that is vinyl as well, its really good for doing intricate stuff, plus allows you to position the vinyl as you see exactly where you are putting the design.
    i'd offer to cut it for you, but shipping halfway round the globe will cost more than the sticker.

11. Gto

Gto What's a Dremel?

Sweet didnt know that about vynl, will be looking to get me a nice window decal for me car maybe then ^^, now all that matters is what the price will be for a smoked black flame effect for driver and passenger side windows on a car, basically full window height coming from back of car then fading away at about 1/3 of the window forward with small flame tips at that side.

12. HapeMask

Yep, you got it :) I'm also going to be taking the tattoos from Scar's arm (thank you google!) and putting them on various parts of the case. Still haven't decided what to put in the white cube area though. I also decided to go with black for the design, as it will be easier to see with all the white LEDs I'll be placing in the case.

13. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

FMA rocks!!!
    @GtO i believe you mean that latex paint stuff, your idea sounds interesting, please explain your idea more clearly i dont quite understand...

14. HapeMask

If I understand him correctly, what he's describing would result in a white window with clear lines denoting the symbol, and a slightly fuzzy effect due to the thicker paint around the lines themselves. That sounds like a sweet idea, but I'm not sure how much light would actually show through. I won't have time to make the illustrator file to send to quickstickers.com until tomorrow after school, but I'm not expecting something within my price range. Another idea occurred to me, and that would be breaking the symbol down into primitives (hexagons, circles etc. and using big pieces of paper to mask the easy parts, then painting the small parts by hand. Vinyl would be nice though. Once it's up on my site there will be an image below with a cheesy photoshop mockup of parts of the design.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wish I had bought a case without a window in it, so I could cut out the logo, but I never planned to mod my case at the time I bought it. The white "paint" doesn't look too great with the gray/silver case. Right now the black lines looks better to me. Time for sleep, more to come. I might make this into a project log if it looks serious, but I dunno :)

Last edited: 24 Jan 2006
  15. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

You could always payup and go for laser etching.
    @gto - Keep an eye on my site there will be tutorials on applying vynal to a car (aswell as unercar lights and rebadging).
    Its the modding project ive got planed after my current pc mod.

16. HapeMask

Sounds nice, but definitely not an option for me :)

17. Gto

Gto What's a Dremel?

If you look at HapeMasks great PS work, then the second picture is what i was reffering to ending up with, use the print out as a guide then trace it onto the window with the latex, paint over it once its dried and peel off latex to end up with the effect.

Sweet i look forward to that then m8 ta.

Also Hape m8, hope the case turns out sweet since id love for a fellow otaku to have a nice anime case ^^.

18. HapeMask

Thanks for the encouragement :) Since the updates won't be too frequent, I'm going to take pictures of the progress on the way and then make up a project log page afterwards. 50 white LEDs are coming in the mail from ebay soon! (at 7.95usd shipped I couldn't pass it up. That's about 16cents/LED) :dremel:

19. Caliber Mengsk

Caliber Mengsk What's a Dremel?

O_O.... Do you still have the Illustrator file???

I work in the graphics department of a college and have access to a vinyl cutter. I have been searching for the past few minutes through google to see if there are already any illustrator files for FMA. (if no one has already said it, that's a transmutation circle from FMA... If I recall correctly, that specific one is the circle used to transmute a human body.)

It would be great if you still had it. If you did, I wouldn't mind sending you the cut out vinyl... It'd only be like a buck to send being about 12in square.

Let me know. Email me at Caliber_Mengsk@yahoo.com

I would be sending through snail mail though. (I can cut out designs for free as long as I don't get too rambunxious {sp})

I was planning on making a car decal for my back window with it if you wanted to know.

20. Caliber Mengsk

Caliber Mengsk What's a Dremel?

Oh, and if you do the other FMA files in illustrator, I could also do them.

(I have been thinking about making decals like this and selling them on ebay for a while... Can't sell it if your a business, but you can sell it as a person. Yay to loopholes in copyright laws of that sort.)