1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer random shut off

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by jayron, 15 Jun 2006.

1. jayron

jayron What's a Dremel?

I own a Windows XP Home Edition Toshiba Satellite A75-S2112 Pentium 4 3.07 GHZ. The problem is that the computer will simply without any warning turn off.

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Are you running it on mains or battery?

How long have you had it for?

3. jayron

jayron What's a Dremel?

Re:

Had the computer since Feb 2005

The computer is running on AC Power and I tried it on battery it does the same thing.

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Have you tried it on AC power WITHOUT the battery in it?

5. LogicalJester

LogicalJester What's a Dremel?

Have you had a look in the event viewer to see if there are any errors relating to what happened when the machine powered off?

6. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Sounds like faulty power, or overheating. Does it get hot to touch? If so, that's a quick indication that things might be bad. A better one would be for you to download speedfan, and tell us the temperatures it gives you.

Other then that, it sounds like your PSU might be malfunctioning, to me.

7. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

If it's a sudden cutoff with no BSOD (even a split second flash) it's probably physical fault somewhere. I'm betting it's an overheating issue.

When the computer turns off, immediatly reboot and go into the BIOS and check your temperatures.

What happens if you try and turn it on immediatly after it cuts off? Does the on/off switch work immediatly or do you need to fiddle about with the PSU etc?

8. jayron

jayron What's a Dremel?

Basically this is what so far

No I have not tried using the AC Power without battery

The back gets hot

THe coputer sometimes shuts off and then when the power button is pressed quickly comes on and goes off

Please tell me what PSU is( newbie) and how to get temps from BIOS

also tell me how to use speedfan because i am fairly knew to hardware issues

Last edited: 16 Jun 2006
  9. ps90000

ps90000 What's a Dremel?

PSU is power supply unit, do you need to adjust the power cable in the back to get it to work again? Getting into BIOS, i've never had a Toshiba so someone will correct me on this, but when it's booting up, and you see the "Toshiba Satellite" loading screen, hit the delete button (not backspace) and it should go into BIOS. Press it every second or so while it's booting up if you want to be sure to catch it (it can be quick). If it's not Delete, it might be F2 or F8.

10. gideon

gideon What's a Dremel?

There was a case here with some crappy dell laptops were the casing rubbed against a chip, it broke some traces and the laptop did also random reboot when you applied some presure on the casing. ofcourse dell wanted to fix it but that would cost you LOTS of money. maybe it's something like that or a broken cable

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The Toshiba Satellite series are a bit prone to getting hot. If the back or bottom on the right hand side get obstructed, the fan/heatsink cannot breathe properly and it may shut down to prevent overheating. It may then take a while to cool down before powering up normally again. Therefore like most laptops it does not like to be perched on a soft surface, like a cushion or a thick carpet. It likes some clearance at the back.

Whether or not overheating is the problem can be answered by recalling whether the fan was spinning at top speed when the laptop shut down (it should become audible when speeding up).

In BIOS you should be able to read temps. Running Speedfan during normal operation will probably be easier and give you temps as they happen (MBM 5 most likely will not work).

12. lirenew

lirenew What's a Dremel?

help

Hi, I own a Satellite A75-S2112... I've had it since june 2005 and as of the may 2006 it started shutting off by itself. (I have to recognize that the first time it happened, the notebook was on my bed, but I've had it on top of a desk ever since, and still it will shutt off without any specific pattern... sometimes it lets me work for an hour, and other times it will allow me to work for 3 hours or so, but its becoming more and more frequent). I have my warranty papers back at home and the warranty has already expired, so I need help.

- I've checked and it doesn't feel hot in the back or on the bottom (around the fan area). Could anyone explain me with more details how to try to fix the problem, or at least how to try to survive in the meantime?

- Once it turns off, I've tried to start it again and before it starts running the windows setup it will shut off again. I manage to turn it on after a while without having to adjust any cables or connections.

- I can't recall any abnormal speeding of the fans.

- What is the "event viewer"?, how can I find it?

- What is a "BSOD"?

- I've downloaded the speedfan software, but I'm not quite sure how to use it. I let it run for a while and it gave me this reading: HD0:35C, but the help menu shows a Configuration window that I can't find.

- If it's a PSU malfunction, shouldn't the computer star running on batteries? It automatically turns of without even using any of the battery power.

13. rtcbad

rtcbad What's a Dremel?

A quick call to Toshiba's tech support...

Hope this helps everyone:

I just got off the phone with Toshiba's technical support group (800-457-7777). They indicated that this is a know problem on the Satellite A75-S2112. They also indicated that Toshiba has extended the warranty on this laptop for this issue only. This is great news because I bought my A75-S2112 over 1 year and 4 months ago. They gave me a reference number for my support case and the address of a local service center to take it in and have this issue repaired.

I would recommend to all who are having this problem to give Toshiba's tech support a call ASAP since it sounds like a visit to a repair center should do the trick. You must call Toshiba first to get a case reference number and prove to the repair center that you have called Toshiba and that Toshiba has extended the warranty in their system for this issue.

I am going to schedule a repair on my system as soon as possible. I will let you all know the results if I get a chance to post again.

14. arshad3108

arshad3108 What's a Dremel?

Shut off

Hi,
    Iam also having the same problem, I just talked to Toshiba Tech support and they said that it is not a known issue for this model(A75-S2112) so they cannot extend my warranty. since my warranty has expired.

can you give me more info on how you got extended warranty from Toshiba.

Arshad.