1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Why Vista is late?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 16 Jun 2006.

1. Wrigley1

Wrigley1 What's a Dremel?

I hope Vista crashes and burns and dies and melts and everyone goes to Linux and play Cube (or I guess WoW for all the noobs out there). However, more likely is people will buy it simply because they always buy Microsoft and they feel they need the latest Windows. It won't matter that it sucks.

Of course, I say all this because I'm posting this off of an old 400mhz PII that I'm running Puppy Linux on. :p

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Curse you for stealing my joke!!!

In these sort of situations it's never just one thing. Poor management probably is a factor, but so is project complexity, changing demands on the system, personnel shake-ups, etc. It's never just "The problem is caused by..."

That said, I'm of the opinion that vista will suck on the scale of black holes and cosmic singularaties. It's going to be easy to use, which means even more morons will be using it, and the DRM and security features are enough to turn me off. In the end I predict it will be troubled but successful, if for no other reason than that morons are the largest segment of the population.

3. Chuckysan

Chuckysan What's a Dremel?

But we don't have a choice. Its Vista for all of us or be left behind, and that I think is the sadest of all the truths.

It has nothing to with "the morons" buying into Vista or "Corporate inroads". In the end, its the games market that dictates hardware and software development. If we want to play the next big game, beit Duke or HalfLife3 or whatever title Blizzard comes up with next, we are going to have to have DirectX10. There is no ifs, ands, or buts about it. And we all know DirextX10 is Vista only. Period.

4. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

People seem ot be missing the point, if DX10 is Vista only, developers arent going to adopt it rapidly, or make their games DX10 only - their not stupid, it would cut out far too much of their market

5. Cthippo

A few years ago you could have said that about the browser "market". Basically you HAD to use IE because the only option was netscape and it sucked badly. Today, Firefox holds over 10% of the market share, Opera has a healthy chunk and they're only getting bigger. In browsers you DO have an option now. Obviously OS's are different, but my browser example shows that there is hope.

I think another point is that While we are stuck with Windows for high end gaming, that's one of their last strongholds. Most productivity tasks and all general use tasks (web browsing, basic office tasks, etc) have a variety of options as far as platform goes. Gaming is one of the last things you can only really do on a windows box, and they're chipping away at that little by little. As linux and mac gain greater acceptance I think you will see a push for cross platform gaming support in the next decade.

6. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

I would've never guessed to to be management's fault.

7. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Give em as long as they need, the longer, the more time they get to polish this OS, quite complaining, I doubt anyone here built a rig just for vista anyways.

You perfectly fine with XP.

8. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

:D not to make laugh about all of this, . . . but that, that blog is really funny.

9. Echo

Echo What's a Dremel?

HaHa..

this is why windows' names are no longer dated ie. windows 2000...

10. moddenmania

moddenmania What's a Dremel?

Well they aren't polishing off the god damn operating system they're finishing it the bugs thats not polishing thats finishing. Shall I start to count the number of xp bugs. If they can't get me a new and improved os every 3 years instead of 5 then there'll be a new os and let me tell you it ain't gonna be linux thats for damned sure

11. DaSuperFly

DaSuperFly What's a Dremel?

So many people still don't get that many versions of Linux are not noob friendly. The death of Microsoft is not a good thing, they only have a monopoly at the moment because they beat competitors a long time ago. Since then to produce a competing OS takes a lot of capital in terms of time, people and cash, making it difficult for a new competitor to enter the market.

12. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

thats exactly the problem, an OS is so complicated it takes alot of work to make them, nowadays it would be almost impossible to sell your operating systems, if they didnt support windows features

13. moddenmania

moddenmania What's a Dremel?

I don't know it may be apple that could jump in here if they started to sell their operating system alone. But maybe they don't want to go down that road let me tell you that there market share would increase incredibly

14. Cthippo

The world is not noob friendly. Maybe if we quit making computers so simple that anyone with a double digit IQ can use them, the really dumb people would quit using them. If you think that stupid people with computers only affects tech support people, let me offer you some other examples...

When was the last time you bought somthing from a spam message? Somebody does. If you read the interviews with spammersd they universally say that they wouldn't be in business if people didn't buy things from the spam they send out. Want to get rid of spam? Get stupid people to quit responding to spam.

When was the last time you Googled "Free screensavers"? I read (perhaps posted here) an article recently that said that 65 of the top 100 links on Google when you enter that term comtain malicious code and / or spyware. It's the people who visit these sorts of sites using Windows and IE who get "recruited" to be in botnets and send out spam.

Do you forward every joke, chain letter, funny picture, etc that comes into your inbox? I bet you get mail from someone who does. Aside from the sheer volume of crap you get to delete, I bet some of those messages contain malware or are being harvested for email addresses at some point.

Probably 80% of computer related headaches come from two groups of people: The really smart people who write viruses and create botnets, etc., and the really stupid people who perpetuate them. We can't do much about the former category, but making computers harder to use might go a long ways to reducing the latter.

15. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

An OS is a language, if you live in a place everybody speaks english you won't like to have to speak say german, that's the biggest advantage Windows has.

Tags: Add Tags