1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 No PS3 Pre-owned...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by acron^, 24 May 2006.

1. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

This has been denyed already (Sony DO own a patent for this method of single user protection, but they aren't going to use it).

I'm sure they aslo said that regarding Blu-Ray films a while back as well

2. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

erm doesnt that denial only state the PS3 wont limit games to 1 machine. nothing in it seems to say that they wont stop the resellers from selling 2nd hand software. or going down the licence root? Really hope Sony dont though so I'm forever hopefull

3. K

K 528491

There's no way Sony will enforce the single-user thing, as they forecast that most homes will have upwards of seven PlayStation 3's throughout the house.

4. dabblet®

dabblet® What's a Dremel?

Just my 2p - but wouldn't the PS3 have to be able to write blu-ray discs in order to "lock" disc to console? If so £425 (or whatever it is today ;)) seems cheap for a console & blu-ray player/recorder. [duck] runs for cover [/duck]

5. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Shall I be the first to say :lol:

6. soopahfly

soopahfly Minimodder

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,1689109,00.html

7. R_H

R_H What's a Dremel?

i know why sony is doing all this retarded garbadge concerning the PS3's price etc

they've got an enormous coke habit...it's the only thing i can think of that explains this behaviour

8. Echo

Echo What's a Dremel?

Thats insane.. Its sony's turn to fail like the gamecube did. Nintendo and Microsoft will rule this generation.

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

And the gamecube wasn't even a failure, it just wasn't a massive success. Among rentals, at least, it's a pretty even split between PS2, GC and Xbox. Because of the library of games, it really was a "kiddie system" so you'll be a lot less likely to find one in a college dorm or other location where there probably won't be young kids.

If all of this isn't a joke - and knowing Sony's history of monumental failures due to their arrogance, it won't be - they've really gone and just sawwed off their legs with a blu-ray disc. Tons of people do a vast majority of game renting rather than buying, and it's because of the price. If people can buy them knowing they can get half their money back from reselling it, at least there's some chance for them to buy it.

So, in other news, there will be no PS4.

10. Echo

Echo What's a Dremel?

Hillarious pun! But I fear you may be right...

11. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

But what you are ALL forgetting is that not everyone is a Bit-tech reading clued up Geek!

Many people who would buy these are spoilt brats, students (yeah, what else is the student loan for), fanboys and casual gamers looking for the next big thing.

They probably won't know or don't know the full details and go out and purchase a PS3 anyways.

12. Echo

Echo What's a Dremel?

True...

True...

True...

13. CJs06

CJs06 What's a Dremel?

Well, as far as this becoming PS3s downfall, I doubt it because buying pre-owned games isnt an essential part of a consoles success. Now as far as renting games, it depends on whether the console has a good game selection. The only way that I see the PS3 becoming succesfull is if it has a incredible game selection like the PS2 and PSX had. Then people even not having the ability to rent the game still have the will to buy those really cool games they have been waiting and wanting to come out for the PS3. If the PS3 doesn't have a good game selection, then not having the ability to rent games will hurt it but mainly the sucky game selection will kill it. Most casual gamers buy a system for the games not just buy the system to have the system. (I'm just stating an opinion based on speculation, disagree all you like, I'm not saying I'm right.)

Now yes, a mod chip and FTP access can easilly get you a copied game, which would make their move completely useless, but that is how it pretty much goes with fighting piracy. Someone creates a way to stop pirating and someone finds the key to get around that protection.

Then again, why complain, we have never really been able to buy pre-owned pc games at least from what I can remember and people dont complain about that. Then again it is really easy to copy pc games.

But, might I say... Oh well.

Last edited: 18 Jun 2006
  14. fathom17

fathom17 What's a Dremel?

7 ps3 in 1 home! :eeek: