1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did I fry my MB? (Update - It's alive!!!!!)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Crops, 21 Jun 2006.

1. Crops

Crops What's a Dremel?

Just got a new processor and fan and decided to swap out cases at the same time so I did a complete system breakdown and rebuild. Everything went smooth --plugged everything in and hit power. LEDs in my CPU fan blinked once, and this little light next to the power input on the board turned on -- staying on --- yet nothing else.

So I took out the new processor and put back the old --- same thing.
    Took out RAM and tested board with old proc and RAM one stick at a time --- same result.

What could I be missing? There were no beeps -- pretty sure my case speaker is shot -- so no additional info available there. Help me guys. My lady is wagging her finger at me... I may never be allowed to open a machine again (it was hers).

Many thanks.

Edit to add sys specs:
    Socket A Gigabyte GA-7VTXE+ w/ 768MB RAM
    AMD Duron (Morgan) 1.0 GHz & 128 MB HIS Radeon 9250, 80GWDHD + 250G Seagate HD

Last edited: 26 Jun 2006
  2. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

Ouch... I had a similar problem once, try plugging a high speed fan into the motherboard cpu fan plug. This happened to me with similar symptons. I think it was because my motherboards safety feature stoped it from booting with a low speed fan. So yea, just hopping for luck, plug a 80mm high speed fan in and see if it helps.

Other then that, doesent look good... make sure your psu is working well.. if you can put a psu that you know is working in that comp.

Edit: Welcome to the forum!

Last edited: 21 Jun 2006
  3. Crops

Crops What's a Dremel?

Put back all original stuff incl fan and still nada! Yikes. Not lookin' good.

4. bubsterboo

Hm, doesent sound right for it to break in this situation. Have you tried to get ahold of another psu that you know is working, made sure the atx cable to the motherboard is securely in, And if you have other power cables that you need to connect... like the 12v cable. And this might sound silly... and im sure im wrong, but just throwing it out there, have you made sure your powerswitch is connected to the right motherboard pin?

5. bubsterboo

A simple way that you could tell if your psu is completly broken would be to take a piece of wire, or a paperclip... and on the atx motherboard power cable connect the green pin to a black ground pin while having a cd drive or somethign hooked up... see if the you get power.

[​IMG]

6. Crops

Crops What's a Dremel?

do you mean pins 14 to 15 on the main cable, while i have the 4 pin peripheral connected to a cd?

7. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

Yes.

8. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

have u tried clearing CMOS using those little jumper thingies... Thats my magic problem solver. If it don't boot, check everything is plugged in and clear cmos. Makes it forget everything...

TBH, I have no idea what it does, but i read it on a forum and just did it one day when my new ram stopped the system booting. It worked!

Do it at your own risk though!

9. bubsterboo

When you short 2 pins on your motherboard near the battery, it clears the CMOS... meaning that your bios is resetted, so your motherboard no longer has memory of anything. In some situations this helps, for example your motherboard might register your cpu or ram incorrectly then when you boots it doesent work.

And yes Crops thats what i meant.

10. bender386

bender386 What's a Dremel?

also check to see if there is any dust in your cpu/ram sockets it happend to me once. just cleaned the sockets of dust and crap and it worked after that

11. Crops

Crops What's a Dremel?

Still working on my problem --- I'll update with progress in a day or so to let you all know how I made out. Thanks so much for your help thus far. I've learned quite a bit through this process.

12. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

One thing I have seen before is if you get your Floppy or Hard Drive cable turned around backwards it can cause symptoms similar to this.

On the 40/80 pin cable for your hard drive(s) (assuming they are PATA), and the cable for your floppy drive (assuming you have one), make sure PIN 1 on the cable (corresponding to the red or black stripe on the cable) is matching the PIN 1 on your MoBo and the respective drive.

If you are fortunate, they will be annotated with PIN 1 clearly marked. However, if not, an alternative arcane marking on the MoBo is to look at the stencil on the MoBo (the drawings and lines). If there is a box around the header (the place you plug the cable into) then there may be a single corner cut off the box - this can also be used to indicate PIN 1. Finally, on your hard drive/Floppy drive (if PIN 1 is not marked) - 90% of the time, PIN 1 will be the pin closest to the power cable.

Good luck!

13. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

let me rephrase: Try turning your IDE cable around.

I would also double check your front panel connectors/usb connectors, i once wired them slightly wrong on a m8s pc and it had similar problems.

14. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Single corner cutoff? What PCs have you worked on riluve? Seriosuly.

All IEEE IDE connectors have a matching central extension/socket, the devvice (mobo/cd/ide) has a slot cut out on the bottom middle. The cable has a small tab which lines up.

15. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

um-seriously just about every manufacturer except maybe DFI and usually about 6 months before they are on the open market - but why are we getting into a pissing contest?

As for the assumption that it is properly keyed and labeled - well I guess you live in a cushy world - I see un-keyed/unlabeled cables/MoBo's everyday. To me, assumptions are bad things that should be minimized. If that results in a verbose post - oh well, life goes on.

Edit: Oh, I've never really worked with Dell either, now that I think about it. Never worked with TI, but that doesn't seem surprising - and I never worked with Motorola, but it looks like that will change soon. OK, and I never worked with ATI directly, so besides those 4-5 manufacturers, every other one that comes to mind.

Blimey - ok, I never did anything with compaq while they were compaq, but I did work with a division of HP that absorbed part of Compaq (I mean so I was just a building or two away from was use to be Compaq) - so what, now thats 6. I guess there are just too many manufacturers and not enough time.

Ohhh - and now that I think further about your post, maybe you are thinking I meant a corner cut off the header itself. But no, I think I said clearly, I mean on the stencile on the MoBo.

Last edited: 24 Jun 2006
  16. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

riluve, you live in a sucky world. I havent seen an un-keyed IDE slot since.... ever in an oem box. What crap manufacturers are you dealing with? :eyebrow:

Dell, HP, E-machines, both of my custom boxes... all of them have keyed IDE sockets. The only one that doesnt is an ancient Pentium motherboard in the AT form factor. :eyebrow:

And what manufacturer is crap enough to not use the silkscreen layer for component labeling?

17. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

:-(

Intel

Cisco

Those two I have seen in the past two weeks. I would think its most common on an Intel MoBo though - those tend to be what I see most of.

OK - worst thing I ever saw a customer do was a double keyed PCI card without even a fitting for a back plate and nothing on the stencile to indicate which direction was which. So it was just a guessing game on how to properly insert the freaking thing into a slot. (It might have been PCI-X, but anywho) So over the course of a week we managed to burn out two power supplies because someone had plugged it in wrong.

Yeah - that is the suck.

Its amazing, manufacturers will spend $10,000 to save a dime.

EDIT: Oh wait - they are using silk screen, that's what i am refering to when I say stencile, but they don't always spend the time to make it clear - like actualy enumerating PIN 1 - they may throw an arrow in there for PIN 1, but I have seen the "cut corner" thing more frequently lately - in a fashion after a PLCC socket.

Last edited: 24 Jun 2006
  18. Crops

Crops What's a Dremel?

Ok -- bought a new MB incl new proc. Used all the old componants except RAM in the new system and everything works a-ok so PSU, vid ard, all pci cards, even wires periferals - HDD's... evrything tested and working.

So on a lark I went through the process of hooking up the wires etc to revisit this fried MB..... HOLY CRAP ---- it starts working, beeping, CPU fan spinning like crazy --- I'm so shocked I'm not ready. Nothing's connected properly, my backup monitor might not be working so I see nothing. I quickly shut it all down. Re-group... I might actually salvage this thing. I will update by day's end! I now need some case screws and cables etc. before I continue. HOLY BOY!

19. Crops

Crops What's a Dremel?

It's all fixed and folding hard ! What did I do? I left it alone for a couple days. Plus I checked and sorted every pin and jumper I could find. You guys were great with your help and suggestions.... In the end I could not say what the trouble was except there was a short for sure. What specific thing fixed it I'm not sure, but if I had to give anyone in a similar boat any advice it would b to sleep on it and start fresh at a later date.

Many many thanks to all!

20. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

Glad it all worked out for you. Although it's a shame that you had to spend money on the new motherboard and processor, now you don't need it.