1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Hybrid HD player from Samsung and Toshiba

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 22 Jun 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Sord_Fish

Sord_Fish What's a Dremel?

Yay!

Hopefully this will push the format war to data only now, or this could be the same as + and - DVDR.
    Also wounder if Microsoft will adapt this for the 360?

3. koola

koola Minimodder

Anything that pushes HD-DVD imo is good. Dunno if consumers will yet again splash the cash on one of these though...?

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I don't know who started this rumor back up again, but it can't be fact. Sony's Blu-Ray license specifically forbids creating BD/HDDVD hybrid players. Or maybe the boys at Samsung forgot about that...

Anyways, I'm going to sit this one out for quite a while. Like, until both have died and that Chinese holo-disc dominates them both for half the price and twice the quality.

Several HD-DVD releases are already combo flippers (DVD/HD-DVD), BTW.

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

A couple thoughts...

One, I think Samsung has the right idea with a dual format player. the HD-DVD / Blu-Ray "battle" hasn't created much noise, just a lot of confusion and reluctance to buy from the public. Samsung also has a lot more credibility at this point since they are ACTUALLY SHIPPING HARDWARE. Sony doesn't even offer a player yet and it's in their own format. The fact that they sell burnable BR disks but no burners is just plain surreal.

My hope is that sense will break out and both sides will realize that they are better off keeping their technology they've spent a fortune to develop and at the same time supporting the oter guy's format so they can actually sell hardware to customers.

Sadly, I doubt that's going to happen :sigh:

6. to_fast1

to_fast1 What's a Dremel?

there is a burner available from Pioneer

From Overclockers

Its good to see them merging the formats as long as the players dont cost as much as the burners

7. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

i heard from the local bestbuy dude that several customers have already returned hddvds because-get this-it refused to play in thier dvd player-ha! it is now store policy to ask all purchasers of hddvd and now bluray discs if they have a player for it. any way, hybrid players sound expensive and impractical. although not ideal, perhaps both can coexist if all movies are released on both formats. though eventually one will be more supported than the other (just my opinion, but bluray will have a huge user base with ps3, so in the end it may get more support).

I want a hybrid hddvd/bluray/dvd/cd disc!!!!!!
    cd plays the soundtrack on regular cd players, dvd has standard def and works in dvd player, hddvd has high def, bluray has uberhigh def for dell 30"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hbdvcd for da win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

This all is terribly waistful of resources, ok you may argue, we want the latest greatest, however in 10 years time it will all be in the bin, and the electronics giants will be selling us more 'future' technologies.

9. Lowsidex2

Lowsidex2 Minimodder

They are just blowing money. If they just came together three years ago and settled the format together both groups would be making an ass load of money and we'd all be parked in front of our 50'' plasma's going ''WWWWOOOOOOWWWWWWWW". Instead 99.9% are just sitting around with our you know what's in our hands waiting for something to happen.

10. Endoxus

Endoxus What's a Dremel?

Like above,

this is only one little format war, in 10 years somethign much better will be along.

i think this will go the way of the DVD+- battle, in the end everyone just starting making players that did everything.

sony needs to take a look at themselves, they CREATED this techonogy and now they cannot ship players, they have little content, they are creating rules to prohibit dual format players. what is sony doing? dont they realise that there is a limited time before iptv and streaming media take all of this over anyway. sure iptv is a long way from being anywhere near dvd quality but one day it will happen.

sony are too busy listening too all their lawyers, spending all their time trying to police everything, if they let this format out, and start getting content out then the people will come.

all in all i will expect to see dual format capable player released eventually, like the DVD +- war, in the end no-one cared as everything was dual format anyway.

11. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

its good to see somthing like this, poor saps that allready bought a HD-DVD player though
    This is clearly going to be the way to go until the format war is decided :)

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

samsung roxors :D i just love my samsung stuff, they work very well :D and they have the best memories around. imagine if they got into RAM production for computers.

anyway i will wait until this blows over and sony sues samsung :rolleyes:

13. Rjcc

Rjcc What's a Dremel?

do you guys have a source for this? because samsung is saying its not true, and although samsung and toshiba announced a partnership back in january, it didn't mean they were coming out with a combo player.

14. Rjcc

Rjcc What's a Dremel?

I'm still kind of wondering where this story came from, since neither company has made any such announcement. Is this a rumor, an insider leak? Is your source the tom's hardware article you linked to?

Tags: Add Tags