1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

homemade water cooling for everyone ;) - january, 2006.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by turpija, 5 Jan 2006.

1. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Of course, I forgot about the reserator.
    Although, it's also a pump as well, so it's more all-in-one than heat-dissipating-res.

2. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

you could use the pump in the resortator to get it back into your case :) :)

apparently the resorator pump is really unrealiable though, so its not somthing i would reccomend

3. hellas91

hellas91 What's a Dremel?

Looks amazing :jawdrop:

4. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

I believe the Reserator is Aluminum, as is the XSPC. Something the size of a reserator, if made of copper, would be 80+ lbs, cost about 4x as much, and not cause the corrosion of the aluminum.

5. NoahFuLing

NoahFuLing What's a Dremel?

Doesn't anodization fix that problem? I always thought that that was one of the properties of anodization.

6. andersson.j

andersson.j What's a Dremel?

Anodization works, but it wears off since the water is constantly moving. And a scratch is enough to break it. So when you use a metal fitting with an anodized alu thread you will most probably break the anodization on a few spots = corrosion.

With 10-15% Zerex it will take long before corrosion becomes a problem, but I still think it's stupid to mix metals when it's so easy to avoid it! A loop with alu and copper will last for a few years, a loop with only copper, brass and silver will last almost forever.

If you use alu in a loop, stick to alu only and you won't have a problem.

7. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

as far as i know, anodization adds a more reactive metal on the top, so it would only be a tempory fix, as even if you didnt break it, the more reactive metal would come off eventually

8. hllywood14

hllywood14 What's a Dremel?

love it

great mod

9. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 What's a Dremel?

where 2 get copper??

this is an awsome mod. Been following it since day one. By the way, does anyione know where to get the raw copper blocks?? I might make my own blocks soon. :D

10. BrinNutz

BrinNutz What's a Dremel?

Pretty slick man...Damn good work...Wish I had the ability to do that, it'd be fun!

11. Forvak

Forvak What's a Dremel?

Very cool! This is really inspiring. What is the final weight of the case with water?

12. turpija

turpija What's a Dremel?

Well it was fun while building it, now it just sits in corner and working, just like that :yawn:
    I don't know how much it weights, but only i can say it's heavier than my 21" monitor, which is around 20kg.

anyway, water started to get dirty (because i didn't clean all blocks properly), so i've throw it an put new one, without antifreeze. it's now transparend and actually nicer, and i put small neons so it now glows in two color ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Denied

Denied What's a Dremel?

That last photo is awesome! I have to give it to you, you have really pulled off a brilliant finish on this case. I know exactly what it's like to build something only to have it fail (like with your first resevoir)

Brilliant work! You are an inspiration to those who aren't happy with store bought!

14. gideon

gideon What's a Dremel?

that last photot is nice looking into the tube :D

15. Stuntman

Stuntman Minimodder

Amazing! This project is... oh man... just so sweet! *pleasure twitches*

16. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Well done. It turned out fantastic.

Reading your log has inspired me to get on the w/c bandwagon too. I've already purchased a 16 speed drill press and sourced copper to start milling my own waterblocks.

17. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

best water cooling mod i've seen for ages. I havent read the entire lot i must be honest but it looks amazing!!

oh and i thought i recognised that naked case, and then with the front panel on i was sure, hehe i have the same one, go AOpen ;-)

18. ps90000

ps90000 What's a Dremel?

Nice job!

19. bozar88

bozar88 What's a Dremel?

I'm very impressed, you have inspired me to do something similar (for graphics card only for now). Was it expensive to buy copper? I don't want to buy whole blocks, I'd rather buy 1-2mm sheet and weld a "box" with the maze inside. Top and bottom would be from thicker copper - about 5mm in order to be able to fit the connectors and make it perfectly flat

20. jakeiswicked

jakeiswicked What's a Dremel?

Amazing job! Easily one of the best I've ever seen and the fact that nothing stops you and there's always a way forward is really cool.. unlike me who still hasn't plucked up the courage to install my non-custom built watercooling :hehe:

Its amazing work but i think all that in a nice big, new Lian Li, would look even better still, but i guess you cant have everything and the case still looks pretty dam sweet ! Superb work on the Radiator, Reservoir and blocks.. best I've seen and great improvisation