1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Prey demo is out

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 22 Jun 2006.

1. Vergil_117

Vergil_117 What's a Dremel?

Wasn't wolf 3D's AI system based if the nazi sees or hears a gunshot. But its clear you haven't played against halo 1's AI.

2. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I heard Halo has a good AI, but I was refering to FEAR as the yardstick for how good an FPS should look. It also has a damn good AI, but that's beside the point.

Interesting thing will be to see if Prey manages the Doom 3 trick of wowing all the reviewers but being outed as a monumental turd a month later.

3. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Tried the multiplayer, pretty good, although only two levels at the moment.

Anyone got widescreen working?

4. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Well. I really enjoyed that, its very much my sort of game so I'm left rather pleased by the whole experiance though the main weapon sounds EXACTLY like the machine gun from Doom3 :blah:
    Nice use of the engine too I thought. Though I dont quite understand why people thing fear looks so good. Imo the graphics in FEAR were quite horrible but thats just my 2 pence. :thumb:

5. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

What were you running it on? :eek:

FEAR looks uber, most notably because it has good dust effects from bullet impacts and great gunsmoke effects. That's the sort of crossed t and dotted i that I've not seen a Doom engine game use. Also the weapons models and enemy models are much better in FEAR.

I dunno. Maybe I just wubs FEAR. :rock:

6. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

I thought the graphics were nice, they shouldnt have started it off looking into that sink though as that just looked terrible

7. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Yeah. I guess I just don't like fear. The bit that put me off that I remembered (I think it was anyway) it started off in a car or something and the texturing was plain terrible.
    I run on an X800 and when I tried fear everything was on medium.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

X800GTO with 128meg DDR mem and everything on high at 1024 works great. Not choppy at all.
    It's better than most people give credit for. It's still pretty fun with the teleporters, reverse angle walkways and body-leaving, despite it's cliche-esqness. The best part about it is the REAL language, cause I sure as hell would be swearing too.

Ok: hands up whoelse killed all the "escaped" humans they saw?

edit: Aww man, sod the enemies he was actually sick LOL! That and flipping the gravity around is totally quality. I dont care if the AI is non existent, it's shoot everything and run around on walls fun.

Last edited by a moderator: 22 Jun 2006
  9. BFGunrunner

BFGunrunner What's a Dremel?

FEAR looked alright but Doom 3 looks more polished.

10. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

I thought it was fun. Graphics weren't great, but that doesn't really bother me, the portal and gravity effects are cool.

Runs around 30fps on my 7800GO (256MB) / 2GHz Core Duo / 1GB RAM @ 1600x1200 (full detail, 0xAA 8xAF) - couldn't get widescreen to work.

Can't hold a candle to we've seen of crysis tho, there's one game I'm really holding out for.

11. Vergil_117

Vergil_117 What's a Dremel?

This is what I get for running an ATI X200.
    But besides the uber horribleness of the game running on my PC, it ran quiet smoother, event the menus (which loaded correctly) ran without a bit of lag (unlike D III).
    http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/6769/prey6sn.png

And I still perfer HL2 for story and graphics.

12. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

I think the game is great. The singleplayer is the best part, I find it immersive and the shooting mechanics and the extra wall walking, gravity flipping, and portals keep the gameplay fresh.

Its an FPS so I don't see why people expect something like they've never seen before, but for what it does, it does great.

I like all the added touches too, like the arcade machines and juke box in the bar, the random people and aliens walking around, how all the people look and sound different. I stood infront of the people processing machine for about 10min, everyone who came down and got spiked looked and sounded different, and they all screamed something unique, usually along the lines of "oh god I don't wanna die".

The multiplayer is just deathmatch and team deathmatch and feels like the regular Q4 or any other deathmatch, so I'm not too impressed. Hopefully the full version will have some more interesting gameplay modes for multiplayer.

13. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Very true. But both Doom 3 and HL2 were FPS games. One sucked hardcore, one was awesome. There's definitely some margin of error as far as gameplay is concerned - it's more than just aiming and shooting. HL2 made you do a couple physics-related puzzles that worked for gameplay which really hadn't been used before, whereas D3 overused the standard "lights out, start shooting" thing while forcing annoying run back and forth gameplay to force along a both annoying and hugely unrealistic storyline.

There's definitely innovation in FPS gaming. There's only so much you can do with an RTS or RPG as well. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. As they tend to say, there are no guarantees in this business. Something that works in one game may not work in another, and sometimes trying something totally new pays off where other times it crashes and burns.

14. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

I liked it, looking forward to the full version... cool effects

15. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

i couldnt seem to change my settings

i selected 16:10 - but that doesnt open the options for Wide resolutions, and ontop of that it wouldnt even let me select 1600x1200
    Edit
    Oh yeh i have a x1900xt ....

16. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

poop to ntl and their stupid silly bad unreliable connection!

17. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

I liked the prey demo. As far as innovation goes, I've never played any other FPS's involving an indian, his dead grandfather, and his dead hawk. The spirit walk sure seems like a new idea.

The weapons- I think they need more refinement, particularly with the sound. The one thing that disapoints me the most about the weapons is how I could kill those odd ball shaped creatures with one whack from the wrench, but it took quite a few more shots when using the second gun. It kinda seems like the 2nd gun was under-powered.

L J

18. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

I like it...it's fun, all that gravity stuff etc. . And the graphics imo are good.

edit:/ I killed every escaped human...uhhm I mean relieved them :p

19. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

SPOILERS....

I liked it. Especially when you walk into that room with the small round rock in a display case. When you go through the portal you see an absolutely gigantic monster run in, and at first you don't know what's going but then you realize the portal actually shrunk you and you are walking on the same small rock. Then the character says exactly what I was thinking in my mind "That was ****ed up!"

20. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Well I loved it, given the shite that was Doom 3 and Quake 4, this actually had things in it which made my go "wow, that was cool".

It's not all about shooting things :)

Tags: Add Tags