1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Passively cool a p3

Discussion in 'Modding' started by steveo_mcg, 18 Jun 2006.

1. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Hey folks can any one help, I’m looking for a way to passively cool a p3 its an 800 i've got but i could trade for some thing slower. I want to build a totally silent Linux X terminal using left over’s. I've got an external power brick thingy for power and cf disk for booting so the only moving part I need rid of is the hsf. If any one can point me in the direction if a suitably massive socket 370 heat sink I’d appreciate it.

2. forester joe

forester joe shhh. can you hear your PC?

I'm thinking of modding my P3.
    but I don't think I'll go passive. instead I want to go for a vent and use a large fan in low RPM. that should prove ALOT quiter than the whinney 40mm stock fan. :dremel:

how does that sound to you?

3. steveo_mcg

considered that but the stock 370 coolers i have would (i assume) over heat with just a case fan a couple of centimeters away

4. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

It really depends, the PIII was considerably cooler than the PII it would be possible to passivly cool that, if you had any sort of airflow around the thing and a large heatsink with tall fins on it...

One thing you may want to consider if low volting that 40mm fan... you could mod it down to 7v, I bet that would cut down on a good bit of noise, or you can always invest in one of the larger amd coolers that go on socket A, since they fit the socket 370 clips, ones with the 60mm fans on top

Cheers, WarriorRocker

5. steveo_mcg

Would a socket a fit, i know the tabs et al are the same but are the clips the clamping down to the same height ie, if i put a largish cooler would i crush core of the p3?

6. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

Since the cores on the top of say amd Durons and Athlons are the same as how the PIII is setup I wouldnt see why it would, best bets when doing this kind of thing is, if it feels wrong dont do it, if you have to exert alot of pressure, stop

7. steveo_mcg

just tried a socket a volcano 6. The standard clamp was too tight didn't do it any favours i don't think. i'm guessing the socket for the 370 is marginally wider and this hs is marginally taller. I streched a socket 370 clamp and i seems to have fit but a bit tight and seems to have left little bits of silicon rubbed on the bottom of the cooler no so good. Any other ideas?

8. Denied

Denied What's a Dremel?

The P3's should be a socket 370 which is very similar to socket A (462). I run GlacierTech Igloo's on my 800s at home and they have an 80mm fan on top but unfortunately they are still a bit loud. That said I wouldn't be too surprised if you could run that heatsink without the fan and still not cook the chip.

My suggestion would be get something that is suitably chunky and is purpose built for socket A/370, for example GlacialTech Igloo 2520 Pro or the Zalman CNPS6000-Cu. Then setup your BIOS to shutdown the machine should it go over a certain temp threshold. Then boot and run... see how you go.

I would personally recommend the Zalman purely since it is DESIGNED to be run passive.

Hope this helps.

9. forester joe

1) my original offer was to use a DUCT, that would (a) concintrate the air flow, (b) partially contain the fan noise.

2) if passive is a must - the Zalman flower sounds like a good direction.

10. Rai_Polo

Rai_Polo What's a Dremel?

Why don't you water cool your cpu without fans on the 240/360 rad. This should solve your noise problem if you opt for a near silent pump. On the other hand this may be out of your price range. You may even be able to get away with a pumpless setup depending on what kind of outofcase monstrosity your willing to live with.

11. steveo_mcg

Nah i think water cooling is out side the remit of this project, its as much an excercise in recycling as it is in silence don't realy want to spend much money on it. I think the zalman would be a good idea the most intesive thing this box will do is loading the kernal after that its all the work is done on the server so that and some ducting should do the job if needed.

12. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

The scythe katana should be perfect for what you're trying to do. With enough surface area I've kept several P3s cool with as little as 10CFM @ 9Dba. But use ALOT of surface area and an effective vertical stack setup it's not hard to passively cool a P3 provided you used the right thermal paste.

13. steveo_mcg

Thats a spicy meat ball! I'll have a look in to that seems like a proper hard core zalman! Cheers all i'll let you know how i get on.

Edit: I've <ahem> found an old socket 7 cooler from what i can only assume is an oem vendor like compaq or the like just run some tests and it stay stable with cpu burn-in for a while but the heat sink becomes very hot to the touch after about 10mins still with some ducting and one case fan it should do the job.

Last edited: 20 Jun 2006
  14. Denied

Denied What's a Dremel?

Damn! I can't believe i forgot about Sycthe... My apologies for not suggesting that as a course of action too... nice work Slug.

15. forester joe

Well I did it! :dremel:

my cpu fan was making very disterbing sounds :worried:

so I go out my new thermaltake fans, put together an air duct...

I'll post a log over the week end. still have to upload the pictures. look for it :D

16. TRG

TRG What's a Dremel?

One Thing

noone mentioned peltiers. they would definiatly allow you t go passive, so you would need no fans... oh well, it's too late now.

17. steveo_mcg

Dude thats kinda over kill :jawdrop: this is just a recycling project don't want to get silly now :worried:

cheers joe that would be helpful. I've got it going with what i assume is heatsink from a socket7 oem job i've currently put the psu right beside it so it is being cooled by that but its messy and i want to use the powerbrick any way.

18. blaffer4x4

blaffer4x4 What's a Dremel?

Good point Joe Forester.
    Maybe you can just take a Zalman 7700 Cu and take of the vent? That thig is capable of cooling my 4200+ passive @55 degrees (it is capable of doing it, didn't tell I use it passivly ;) ), so I think a PIII 800 should love it.
    If you really want to go nuts, try to fit a Sonic Tower on it

19. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Peltiers on a passive system... That is as good as not putting a heatsink on (even worse)....

20. blaffer4x4

blaffer4x4 What's a Dremel?

That's right (did'nt see it last time)
    Peltiers get hot on one side and cool on the other... if you cool the hot side enough!
    If you just run it on a processor without heatsink, it will HEAT UP even more...
    Not such a good idea if you ask me.