1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding How do you plan mods?/Modding questions

Discussion in 'Modding' started by R_H, 10 Jun 2006.

1. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

You can get a generic dremel for 20 bucks at shucks auto parts store. Works just as well. Some people complain about them breaking but seeing as you can get 6 for the price of one dremel branded......

2. R_H

R_H What's a Dremel?

schucks? Do they have a site? I've never heard of them before

3. Noobkiller

Noobkiller What's a Dremel?

sorry dude if i'm adding to the pain, but you should get a heat gun just in case you want to bend plexi-glass

4. R_H

R_H What's a Dremel?

no pain at all, i do in fact plan on bending plex

i think these will be the dimensions of the case 60cm(W) 120cm(L) 60cm(H)

5. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

I first draw some rough sketches on paper.
    windows, fans, ect.

Then i start to draw the case (as it is original) in sketchUp, then I start to test with different colours and windows ect. Then I can almost see how the case are gonna look ;)

6. R_H

R_H What's a Dremel?

i've starting sketching some of the case out

i'm thinking of building some of it in duplicate so that when i feel like water cooling everything can be swapped out (thoughts about this?)

7. R_H

R_H What's a Dremel?

i have 2 more questions

1) what would be the best/easiest/nicest looking/cheapest way to change the color of cables?

2) is it possible to mod a psu so that pushing the power button once turns the lights and cooling on and pushing it again turns on the actual computer (or something along those lines)

8. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

1) cable braiding kits (ACRyan's MORF is quite good) will change the colour of your cables, and keep them more organised :)

2) yes, a modulo 2 counter would do that

9. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

I like modding "off the cuff"

Plop it on the bench.. Study it for awhile.. Then just go with whatever feels right that moment.

10. R_H

R_H What's a Dremel?

i have more of an idea what this mod will consist of now

revised dimensions: 90cm-120cm*60cm*60cm (L*W*H)

curved front bezel, (2*5.25" bays for optical drives, 1*5"-7" LCD, 4USB2.0, 2Firewire, Mic+Headphone jacks)

6 or more internal 3.5" bays, room for 2-3 radiators, 2 pumps and 2 reservoirs, removable motherboard tray mATX-EATX, bottom mounted PSU(s?), 8*120mm fans

HD caddy 90-120cm*60cm*25cm-30cm (16*internal 3.5" bays, ~250W PSU (from SFF case?), 4 or more 120mm fans, thick noise insulations

i think i'll build the hd caddy first before trying to build the actual case

i hope i haven't bitten off more than i can chew :duh: :worried:

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

How do you plan mods?... Measure, read, look at case galleries, sketch...

Mostly, I just work things out in my head. That can literally take weeks before I do anything. I go back and measure again, see if components fit this way and that, read if it is feasible to do it...

Then when I've made up my mind on what to do, I work out how to do it: tools to use, sequence of actions, and, if project logs are involved, when to take pictures.

12. R_H

R_H What's a Dremel?

could anyone offer some comments/suggestions about these thoughts, thanks :)

13. R_H

R_H What's a Dremel?

been thinking a bit more about the color theme of the case

this is what i have in mind:

chrome, black, dark purple and maybe gray

14. R_H

R_H What's a Dremel?

i got all the tools...didn't get any of the sanders (already have a sheet sander+don't need a random orbit)

15. Phat Ass

Phat Ass What's a Dremel?

Hi, coming a bit late to this thread but as its still apparently in the planning stages i'll go on anyway.

i've planned many... many... cases/mods and some have come out nicely and others fallen by the wayside. In terms of the actual planning and working out fo how to do things i can take anywhere from 10 minutes to a month ro plan something. The first mod i did was a dual fan bracket for another mod i was planning, that took all of two to three days from design to completeion (i think).
    The next was the dual case build for it to go in. That took me the best part of a few months (at the end of term oddly) to come up with a decent start point, then over about three weeks i changed the design a bit, twaeked it here and there, To make it easy to follow i use a version system and at every change to the design i made a revision number, just like software and such. So at around v11.1.2 on the 20th sheet of A4 in about a week, i started work. The biggest problem was that the deisgn i had left did actually work how i wanted it to do originally, and the original idea wasnt feasible or worth while as i was moving out to uni so soon after its completion.

One of the current projects, Serverama (a custom case btw) has been running for the best aprt of two years, and there was a year of design before that after Plain Lazy (which may or may not be there now). Thats been through an entire case redesign and rebuild after 6 months of work, which sucks frankly, but its slowly getting close to the end. I dont want to put you off making the custom case, far from it, but i will say that when you deisng something like that, you have a certain level of "yeah that'll work, i'm sure of it".

What ever you deisgn (sadly i know where of i speak :() you will find yourself making on the spot, unplanned changes. Dont do what i did and go back to the drawing board for an hour and think about it, play with the case, ideas and just sketch things loosly if you think they'll work.

Generally most of the things in Serverama have been designed with the case infront of me and so some extent 'bodged' almost. There been no where near as much design done as previous attempts, and this ones got the furthest :) Generally planning takes the longest, then gets thrown out of the window :)

In contrast the server rack i made took about 2 hours to make and two months to geta round to finishing it. Similarly the other project ive got on the go atm is a new case for my Modular Jukebox also took barely a day of planning and deisgn, although the general design of the case has been in development on the side for the best part fo 6 months or more.

Anyway, planning good, but dont be surprised when it all has to be modified a bit to work fully. Sketch Up is good but nothign beats working with the actual materials.

16. R_H

R_H What's a Dremel?

ok, so basically what you're saying Phat Ass ( :hehe: sorry) is that you shouldn't spend to much time trying to rework your plans ?

and btw, does anyone know of any tutorials that explain how to dismantle a logitech G5?

17. Echo

Echo What's a Dremel?

Plan twice... Cut once...

18. R_H

R_H What's a Dremel?

ok

it's been awhile since i've posted here, was busy with other stuff

anyways, i'm about to start the planning in a 3d program (the way my minds), but before i do that, i have a few random questions

1. are the dimensions (lwh) the same for all HDs?
    2. would 2"(5cm, as i work in metric) be enough space between HDs (that are mounted in a heatspreader)
    3. with regards to the HD, what wattage of PSU should i be looking for? would a SFF shuttle PSU be enough?where should i buy the PSU from?
    4. are there any sites about modding PSUs out there?

19. Lucanus

Lucanus What's a Dremel?

How I plan my projects? I usualy start with pen, paper and a decent ruler.
    Once the basic idea is on paper I switch to Sketchup.
    Project Pandora started just like that and is now well on the way (060625).

20. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

I'm almost up to my 30th completely custom machine. I used to be less plan-oriented but my ideas and goals have become far more complicated. And anything complicated requires a good plan so I've worked out a comfortable process that prevents most of the unwanted suprises involved incomputer related projects.

1. Functional goal
    2. I usually make a rough sketch of what I want it to look like or operate
    3. Part list (everything I want in the case)
    4. Design a rough 3D diagram in Milkshape 3D using template parts to figure out how to build the case
    5. Take ALOT of measurements to confirm or correct the rough model
    6. Use online material supply catalogues to refine the dimensions of the parts on the rough model to match what is available at the best prices (sheet thicknesses and such)
    7. Make a more detailed 3D model of the complex parts in Solid CAD, from which I can make part template decals
    8. Make a long detailed list of the square size pieces I need to cut with the table saw and what materials to cut them from.
    9. Cut out all the parts for the most important assembly.
    10. Measure and apply decals to those assembly parts or draw the required tooling marks on it using a mechanical pencil and carpenter's square.
    11. Machine and finish the assembly
    12. Remeasure finished assembly
    13. Double-check the fit of each assembly before moving onto make the next assembly.
    And so on and so for until it's all done.