1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple magsafe melting

Discussion in 'Software' started by Atomsk, 25 Jun 2006.

1. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

Jeez, that's kinda scary.

I hope that doesn't happen with my magsafe. Looks kinda like it arc'ed and burned the rubber/plastic.

How many other times has this happenned? I think it's just yours and some other guys right (2 events)

Oh and Sam0r... he looks better than Jack Black lol :hehe:

2. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

I think there have been atleast 2 other events other than mine the reason it looks arched is because while it was still very hot I yanked on it to disconnected it from the laptop.

3. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

the magnet part of mine does seem to get hot, but the plug/wire don't

4. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

Mine doesn't seem to get very warm at all. However, it has a habit (not sure if it's the computer or the charger) of not turning green when the battery is charged and the mac still saying its charged even though the battery is at 100%.

Overcharging...?

5. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

I dont know the little led is controlled by the motherboard but I doubt it is trying to over charge you battery.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I think that the LED indicator is controlled directly by the battery circuitry. In any case, it's a little bit worrying, but s*** happens, tbh. It's better than the dell laptop that literally spontaneously combusted. My MBP really cooks, especially when running OSX (I've actually heard the fan come on when running windows via bootcamp, never once in OSX). The whole area tends to get hot, though that's where the processor is I think so that's to be expected.

I'm inclined to think that it was just on the brink of breaking away, so the pins weren't making good contact, and thus caused some arcing or whatever that shorted it. Couldn't say for sure, but that was my first thought when I saw the pic.

Note to self... call Apple tomorrow about the heat. I thought some recentish firmware update was supposed to improve things, but it seems to get hotter now than it ever did.

7. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

The arching was not there during the incident it was cause by me freaking out and ripping the cable away from the computer.

8. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

I'd ask for a G5 Fully loaded + 30" screen as a compensation for olmost losing my home.(+offcours the new macbook)

L

9. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Only one 30" screen... a fully loaded G5PM can run two!

10. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

[rant]
    to be honest you people make me sick

you should be happy that they'll rapidly replace things that go wrong in the first place, as they could honestly fight it and say it was used improperly if they wanted to, and make you send them the objectfor testing and all sort of other things, and you'd be without it for weeks or months.

also, they have the right to ask you to take the images down because it can be considered slander.

that's part of why society is going down hill: because every feels they're entitled to things because something "might" have happened, or "oh, it scared me!" and "caused emotional trauma"

to be honest, get over it. you're getting a brand new power adapter and their customer service was quick to respond to it... much faster than any other company I've ever dealt with

[/rant]

11. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Seconded, although I think you were a tad harsh. I don't think they were actually SERIOUS about demanding a quad G5 or whatever it was, but I could understand someone wanting a whole new macbook(pro) because of this (The macbook(pro) could've been damaged).

Using blackmail against a good company (like apple) in my opinion is stupid. Its like picking on the disabled kid at school.

12. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

The only thing I expected from apple was for them to atleast say that they are working on the problem or that they have taken measures to insure that it will not happen again. Any statements about demanding free stuff were jokes, but I feel the public has a right to know what is happening to their products.

Last edited: 26 Jun 2006
  13. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Surely it's more like the disabled kid (with a broken laptop) "picking on" the cool rich kid?

Or did I take the analogy too far? Either way, I don't think Apple can be compared to a disabled kid...

14. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

Oh and with the comment about apple being faster than any other company you have ever dealt with they are one of the slower ones in my book. We had a kiosk machine go out at work so I called dell friday around 3-4ish in the after noon before I went on lunch today I had a new monitor in my office. I called apple sat and they havent even shipped my power cable yet. So it looks like it will be another 2 days before I get a working laptop for work other than my old crappy PII dell :waah:

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I mostly agree. But Apple can't take the pics down - they can request it, but nothing more. Slander (or libel, as it would be in this case) only applies if it's just made up - this factually happened, and there's evidence to prove it.

16. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

you are absolutly right and I have no intention of taking down the pictures if apple asks me. /edit by the way I made the front page of digg please digg and spread the word the public needs to know whats going on /edit

17. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

If you were using it in bed then you could of said goodbye to your family jewels, and then theres the second worse thing that could happen, your flat burns down..
    And you should make sure that this never happens again, but as you have said: this seems to of not been a wide scale problem that warrants a full scale recall, thankfully to all the othre Mac Book owners out there...

18. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

Always have a pillow between me and the laptop :hehe: but yeah now Im scared to charge it while im outside of the apartment :worried:

19. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

You ever seen fight club?

x = The probability that the part will fail
    y = The number of products out there with that part
    z = Average payout when it does fail

If xyz is less than the cost of a total recall, they don't do it. Although to be fair, a power cord burning up is probably not as serious as a fuel tank exploding like in the film.

20. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

This formula is totally not true they completely forget about the variable of what it would do to sales if this becomes a huge issue afterall no one wants to buy a computer that has a XX% of catching on fire.

Tags: