1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors BTCC to race through Southampton...

Discussion in 'General' started by MonkeyTurnip, 16 May 2006.

1. MonkeyTurnip

MonkeyTurnip What's a Dremel?

Southampton Echo Front April 11 Page

Southampton Echo April 11 Page 2

You couldnt imagine what thoughts i had when i saw this, i was so excited, i booked of the 1st of june (well my Birthday is on the 4th and i had the 2nd off).

they say they needed £35,000 of local sponsorship, so i got on the phone and phoned all the local companies i have worked for that would be interested, and they were. they donated a sum of money to the cause. i showed it to my Director (not the same one who i have been complaining about) who races motor bikes, does hill climbs in a porche 911 race spec and a mini cooper race spec and he was very excited and interested and took this idea to the board, who i beleive are looking into the idea of sponsoring the safety rails for the event.

the on thrusday i see this artical in the Advertiser exactly 1 month on

Southampton Advertiser 11 May front page

WTF!!!!! yes its going to be on public roads, but they will be shut off from public access.

Newcastle held the event recently, London had the F1 cars and im dam sure there was loads of laws broke that day not just the speed limit.

im reserving Judgment on this as i am waiting for a Phone call back from the Department of Transport a gy called Roger, who is looking in to the application from Southampton City Council and im also waiting for the Special Events team of Southampton City council to finish their lunch to find out from them if its the press blowing this out of proportion.

2. gm_crop

gm_crop What's a Dremel?

Its probably some bollocks to cover up the fact that they would have to turn a speed camera off for a few hours or something like that.

3. MonkeyTurnip

there are no speed camera in that area/the roads where they propose the exhibition

4. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Damn the freaking government. Why do they always have to intervene and stop people from enjoying themselves, since this is OUR city, why should the central government block these events just because they are breaking the speed limit? If the area is cordened off I don't see a problem. Perhaps we should move the event to within the docks, which is private land!

I just hope it'll be on next year and the BTCC doesn't give up on So'ton. :waah:

5. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

But just think if they didn't turn the speed cameras off (if there was any along the course) i'd love to see the pile of photos and the amount of fines dished out.

Could be a whole seperate race within the race to see who gets the highest speed and largest fine.

6. koola

koola Minimodder

That just plain sucks! What a real shame :(

7. MonkeyTurnip

Just received this email from the Department of Transport

she called me Mr Monk :D

8. MG Man

MG Man What's a Dremel?

I got well peed off by this situation too.

I've been to Brands, Oulton and Thruxton so far this year for BTCC, going to the WSR(Team RAC) factory next week, but this would have made my year. (I don't live in Soton, but damned near it!)

the suggestion that the alternative is to be in Mayflower park just seems ridiculous, as the cars would still only be ticking over, somight as well hold it on the city streets....

I'm sure it's just someone on Soton council with too much interfering power that has blocked this

Al

9. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

if they can put the F1 down regents street in london, why on earth cant they put a few touring cars thru southampton?!?!

Tags: