1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple magsafe melting

Discussion in 'Software' started by Atomsk, 25 Jun 2006.

1. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

But the thermal paste solution isnt a full solution, because it isnt the full problem in the first place. Sure it will help out some but if you notice the laptop isnt any where near as hot when running off of battery, its only when charging that it becomes a stove top. I want to get rid of the biggest heat problem before fixing the smaller ones.

2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

it gets hotter when connected to the charger because the CPU sets itself to a higher speed.... :idea:

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yes, assuming that it basically uses SpeedStep, it's not the processor. I was doing some pretty heavy sketchup work off of battery and it was no warmer than when browsing or merely idling on battery, but merely idling when plugged in got it cooking. Even now it's been charging for just five minutes or so, and it's already warmer than it seems it should be, though not uncomfortably so.

4. Fod

on battery, the maximum clock speed is limited to something like 1ghz. sure, it stepsup and down but it's still bound by a limit. changiing the power scheme to 'better performance' lets it scale up to the full clock speed of the chip, but it will still scale as needed.

i believe that when running off power, no scaling is done whatsoever. the CPU will run at full pelt no matter what, unless you choose the 'better energy savings' scheme.

5. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Surely its not limited to 1ghz.. I know you can change the CPU speed to either Highest, Automatic or Reduced.. but I cant see them limiting it to 1ghz and there not being any way around it.. :eyebrow:

6. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Not sure whether you are talking about the MBPs or the MBs, but the MBs will speedstep all the time, on battery, on power, on everything.

The thing is.. running at full pelt heats up the MBs too much, so average running speed of a 2GHz is actually 1.63GHz or less and then it just speed steps it up when needed.

7. Fod

i guessed what speed it;s reduced to, but when you unplug it it defaults to the power saving mode which sets the max speed pretty low. you can override it by clicking on the battery and changing the schema.

but my point was, by default throttling is disabled ENTIRELY when on AC. of course it woud get hotter. (case in point, i am using my macbook pro 2ghz 7200rpm on my bed right now, plugged in, but with the power scheme set to 'reduced energy whatever', and it's not much hotter than when on battery, because throttling is enabled with this scheme)

8. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

I know that when its on battery it speed steps but even when Im playing world of Warcraft I have noticed its cooler on battery, could it be still underclocking while Im in a game?

9. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

google for a little app called CoreDuoTemp and find out for yourselves..

edit: adding these shots to show you...

[​IMG]

Not sure if it's the same with the MBPs but here, even if you plug it into the AC supply and select best performance... Speed step is ALWAYS ON.

And at 1.5GHz, it's running at 57 degrees idle.

[​IMG]

It's 57 degrees idle and now 63 degrees when i'm typing this with a desk fan directly blowing on it! (for those that want to ask, yes the fan is actually on..)

edit: this link is to an online database of Intel Macs (MBs and MPBs) temperatures during idle and at load.

Last edited: 2 Jul 2006
  10. Firehed

Hmm... thanks for that proggie, nifty little thing. I never quite got the speedit kext working right with a $5 dashboard widget I got (little system monitor thing, worth the five bucks imo even if there are free ones about) but now that seems to read correctly too. Probably because it didn't have a proper installer last I checked.

Anyways, my MBP is reading 32c or so right now. But for the few seconds I got it working some time ago, I saw readings into the mid 70's (160+F). Literally hot enough to cook meat. As I'm typing this (on my desktop, it's just sitting with dashboard overlaid right now) it's got to 43c, and it's on AC power but fully charged - it only seems to start really cooking when it's actually charging.

*glad for matte screen*

/edit - just tested as per that website, about 48c idle, 81c load :eeek: Currently at 53c and the entire left side of the system is uncomfortably hot to the touch.

Last edited: 2 Jul 2006
  11. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

well aparently my core duo is always running at 1.5ghz :worried: I could not get it up to the speced 1.86 no matter what I did :waah:

12. simon_C

simon_C Minimodder

kick up photoshop cs and itll jump right up there...... does right up to 2.0 every time with my macbook

13. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

bit of a bummer how a 2.0Ghz notebook purchase doesn't actually run at 2.0GHz!

It'll run at 2.0GHz when it feels like it, and when it gets too hot for it's own liking it'll slow down again!

14. simon_C

simon_C Minimodder

its like that with most notebooks really. my mom's vaio does the same thing. its 1.7ghz amd clocks down to 1ghz when under light load. as soon as any load is applied it kicks up to the full 1.7, just like my macbook...

15. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

Wow that did it hmmm but I still wonder why it doesnt bump it up to 1.86 in WoW or even Quake IV :worried:

16. simon_C

simon_C Minimodder

rosetta PPC emulation.

17. Firehed

Which would take even more CPU time, not less. That does sound unusual. Though I suppose if you're popping out of the game to check the clock speed, it might downthrottle in that short space of time.

18. simon_C

simon_C Minimodder

no im saying that photoshop uses rosetta and WoW and QIV run native.

19. Firehed

I didn't even know WoW and Q4 existed in Mac version, but whatever. Regardless, games quite rarely won't max out the CPU unless they're quite old, though I supposed SMP-ready games (I know the latest Q4 in Windows, at least, is) may not either if it's GPU-limited. It seems very unlikely that the emulation is the cause regardless, at least to me. I think if you've got the temp/clock monitor overlaying the 3d video output, it will show it clocked up all the way - I'm assuming that Atomsk has to alt-tab (option-tab? I never remember quite how it converts) out of the game to check, and I think it much more likely that it is running at full speed while actually in the game even if it's not when the game is in the background or closed.

20. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Edit: previous post now deleted, but the sentiment stands.

Thread necromancy is frowned upon. Start a new thread and word carefully your question.

Kai: "You know what, Gibble? You're a rotten kid. You dumped gongslanger into the toilet, and you wake the dead. And when you wake the dead, fatso, form dictates, you join 'em! Eat up! Chow down!"

Last edited: 12 Sep 2008
Tags: