1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Lock This Thread :)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nix, 6 Jul 2006.

1. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

I finally decided to start modding my Lian Li V300. Some people might ask why... as it is a nice case, which it is true, its a gorgeous case, but can be greatly improved on in places, and this is what i plan to do.

My plan is to modify the Lian Li V300 case, so that it can accomodate a full working Dual 120mm Watercooled system, and a full 9" Gfx card (which was sadly overlooked by Lian Li :rolleyes: )

I have already composed a review of my intial thoughts of the case which can be found here.. Nixehs V300 Case Review

Right enough of the babbling and on with the Project Log. I got some cutting discs for me trusty dremel today and instead of do all the modding in one go i decided to post it bit by bit as it might inform people about the good and bad points of this case and obvioously the moddability of this case.

I decided to strip the case down to its bare chassis, removing the majority of the bezels, fans and mounts and the accessibility port for sound, usb etc etc at the front, and this is what i got.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a closer picture of what i plan to be removing today. I havent decided on whether to remove the just the floppy drive caddy, or the bottom cd rom caddy aswell.

All i need to do is make room for the dual radiator and fans, and also the space needed for the 9" graphics card (X1900XTX)

[​IMG]

As i found out, the fan mount is detachable, which is going to help me a bit later, as i will definetly have to alter it to accomodate the mounting for the dual 120 rad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And after about 15mins of careful hardcore dremel action, i managed to roughly cut out the floppy drive... heres the wreckage.

[​IMG]
    What you see here is the bottom part of the floppy caddy.

Removing the floppy caddy on its own opens up a hell of a lot of space.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still wonder why Lian Li put the floppy drive space into this case. Ok so there might be the odd few users out there who use the space.. but most of us dont. And i think if they removed it, it would be the best case for sff'ers (if you dont mind the slightly larger footprint).

This pretty much concludes my project log at this moment. Obviously i have to do more work, but ill get round to that in the coming weekend, especially when i finally get the radiator ordered.

Also before i go, i noticed one thing that i have to modifiy around if i decided to remove the cd rom caddy.
    [​IMG]

This is the bottom most support of the HDD, now ive had a look and im sure it will be stable without it, but im not sure what it would be like for stabability and also if this will help absorb any vibrations.

Anyway, hope you like my first log.

Feel free to leave comments, and suggestions and constructive cristism.

Last edited: 2 Jan 2008
  2. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

It's a very beautyful case. And a nice chasis to mod. Looking fordward.

3. FooTemps

FooTemps What's a Dremel?

Nice! You beat me to it! I was going to get one of those and start modding it when I got my paycheck!

Good luck with the mod!

4. Noni

Noni What's a Dremel?

Looking good, great case!

5. trati629

trati629 Can I Fix It? :$ Well Yes??

I really like this case and thorght it will be a really good case to mod :rock: , Good luck

6. malccy72

malccy72 Minimodder

Are you planning a window in side or top?

Lovely case btw and look forward to continued reading of your log.

Thanks for sharing.

7. g_sanke

g_sanke I PREGUNTA!

nice case! i look forward to seeing where this goes

8. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

Dont plan on doing a top window as its quite crowded with the PSU, HDD's and the DVD Drive.

But will probably engrave it, or put some handles on it.

9. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Sweet, another MATX case with H20.

Will follow this one.

Regards
    BenJ

10. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

Hey guys sorry for the lack of updates, money problems and time restraints has ground this project to a halt, which obviously wasnt planned.

At the moment i am waiting for the website to get my stuff in stock so i can order it and put this case mod back into action.

But first off i have 2 dilemas.

First off ive been thinking of a name change for a while, but not sure to what. I do like Little Rascal, but ive also been thinking of something different like SilverStorm.

Anyone got any suggestions ?

The second dilema: Whatever i call it (most likely Little Rascal), i dont know where to put the name on the front.

I have 2 places where i can possibly put it.

At the bottom where the inputs are
    [​IMG]
    as i will be scrapping these from the front and most likely repositioning them on the back above the psu as theres enough room. But then how can i fill in those holes? I was thinking bondo, but then how do i get the same seemless brush alu effect on the bondo.

Or theres in the middle above the Power and reset switches.
    [​IMG]
    The black part is stuck on and can be removed quite easily, and i want the Little Rascal cutout of the case then have a lit blue acrylic behind it. Im not sure if i will need more space, so i might have to move the power and reset switches down, which gives me the same problem as the input cutouts.

Im still torn on which would look better.

Either way im still going to have to cover up the input mounts one way or another.

Any ideas guys?

11. FooTemps

FooTemps What's a Dremel?

for the bottom plugs, you could put your logo there instead and cut out that area and insert a piece of engraved acrylic.

12. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

OR, you could put a 2x20 char LCD or PLED there, in the bottom... and engrave it vertically, in the middle. IMHO that'll look the nicest, but it's up to you to decide where to do whatever you want :thumb: Good luck on this one

13. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

Im not sure if a 2x20 char LCD would fit there.

anyone know the rough dimensions on one of these.

Youve also got to remember there will be a 120.2 rad behind it, which wont give much room for cabling.

14. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

2x20 char displays aren't that big...And the cabling can be fitted anywhere... half a millimeter is enaugh for a flatcable ;)

and my 2x20char PLED display is not ever a centimeter thick... it can be put anywhere :)

and as for the width... It might just not even be wide enaugh to overlap both the outter holes there... so the size of that thing won't be any problem, IMO

15. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Cool your gonna try the Dual 120mm route i just bought one of these bad boys :) gonna try and Watercool it as well.

Will watch how u get on carefully :).

To cover the front ports thought about a piece of polished stainless or aluminum or even just covereing them with an anodised piece to match the case.

Morgan.

16. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Wow! very nice start :)
    I'll be tuned with it!

17. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

holy thread revival batman!

18. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

WOW! I didn't se the date on the last post!
    n00b thing...

My bad...

19. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

eh, i dont really mind.
    its alright though.
    besides, if you wouldnt have posted this i wouldnt have seen Hephaestus

20. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

Haha ive just noticed this thread revival.

Yeah sorry but this mod has currently been put on hold. Though im going to be starting a new project log which will replace this one on a Mini-itx scratch build that will be taking on the name instead.

Here are some screenshots to show you what it will be like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just to let you know, it will be roughly half the size of the V300, just slightly bigger.