1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 7950 Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vash-HT, 10 Jul 2006.

1. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

I bought a 7950 a couple weeks ago, and its receiving much lower benchmarks than I've seen on the web. One example is a 8100 in 3dmark05, much lower than some ive seen of around 13000 at the same settings. Here is the system I am running it on atm:

Athlon 64 3500+ S939
    Abit AN8-SLi 16x
    1Gb OCZ Gold
    Antec Truepower 2.0 430W

I was thinking it could either be my PSU or my mobo. The AN8 is listed as compatible on nvidia's list, but i believe there is a 32x version as well. My cpu is kind of low for this video card, but i dont think it would account for that big of a difference in score. My psu is also a little low, but iw ould think it would crash without enough power. Any suggestions are welcome.

2. Dgephri

Dgephri What's a Dremel?

my guess is CPU bottleneck...
    but did you update to the version of your BIOS listed on that compatibility page?

3. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

with only 430W behind the card it's probably downclocking so it can still run, I'd reccomend you get something above 500W of a decent brand like Tagan, Antec, Silverstone .etc :thumb:

4. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

as of right now my bios is the newest version they have on their site. Im planning on upgrading my cpu, so Im not too worried about that. I forgot to mention that when i run cpu-z it says my pci-e slot is only using 8x instead of 16x, would this make a large difference?

5. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

PCI-e X8 could be a major flaw in why you were getting bad scores, have a look in you bios and see if there any SLI or PCI-e bandwidth options.

6. Dgephri

Dgephri What's a Dremel?

from what I read on the GX2 reviews, that is typical, each half of the card is using 8X or some such, so that is how the mobo sees it.

Tags: