1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I deleleted my MBR, please help

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by bbigboy101011, 11 Jul 2006.

1. bbigboy101011

bbigboy101011 What's a Dremel?

ok, so i have this old 1 gig drive that i want to install windows 95(long story and completely legal) and my "expert" brother deleted the partitions my zeroing out the MBR, please help me.

2. LogicalJester

LogicalJester What's a Dremel?

Go to www.bootdisk.com and download a win95 boot disk with CD Rom support.

Boot off the floppy... and run fdisk. You should be able to use this to recreate a primary partition on the drive.

Now format the partition with the switch /s to make it bootable.

FYI if it was me, I would copy the I386 directory from the CD to the new partition. then run set up from here, as this means you will not need the CD each time you make a system change in the PC's later life.

3. wsurritte

wsurritte What's a Dremel?

its WIN95 directory not I386. I386 is NT Based (NT,2000,XP) Win 9x use the name of the os.

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

WOAH! Just get hold of a Microsoft utility called fixmbr first. It MAY be able to recoup the MBR from the harddrive information

5. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

So you are installing win98 on the drive. Do you need to recover data from the partitions?

If not dont bother about the mbr, as you can recreate it with the new partition(s) using fdisk.

6. LogicalJester

LogicalJester What's a Dremel?

Ooops... absolutely right... WIN95 not I386!! Sorry, it's a long time since I used Windows 95!!

I kind of assumed that his brother had intended to wipe the drive, but yes, you may be able to use this utility if you want to recover the data, but if you are starting from scratch, you can just go down the fdisk route...

7. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

if you've an xp installation disk load it up goto the console and type "fixmbr" finished :) and on that note im off the play CS:S while the eve servers are down

8. bbigboy101011

bbigboy101011 What's a Dremel?

i used fdisk to fix the mbr problem, now i just have to install windows 95, thanks for the help.