1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Homebrew CNC Machine

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by JavaDog, 8 Apr 2005.

1. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

As fun as the electricity chat is, time for an update! My FTP access is back up and running - so here is Part 1 of the 'big update' (part two coming shortly):

Marking where the upper gantry-plate meets the gantry sides. You can see that I have drilled and tapped the holes into the lower gantry-plate:

[​IMG]

Mounting holes drilled for the upper gantry-plate:

[​IMG]

Now to drill and tap the holes in the upper gantry-plate:

[​IMG]

Drilling holes on the ends of these long plates was a PITA with my little drill-press. I needed to undo the base and reverse it so that I had the clearence.

Gantry plates mounted up (not all the bolts are installed in this picture) and the Y-Axis plate clamped up to make where to drill:

[​IMG]

Y-Axis plate drilled, tapped, and mounted to the gantry supports (I need to get shorter bolts):

[​IMG]

Y-Axis ballscrew/slide assembly clamped up to the plate:

[​IMG]

MDF top (not cut to size yet) to get a good idea of what she is going to look like. There is 5.5" of clearence between the bottom of the Y-Axis plate and the MDF top:

[​IMG]

2. gideon

gideon What's a Dremel?

NICE i love it

3. Pooleo

Pooleo What's a Dremel?

superb work.need part 2 of the update. lol
    keep up the amazing work

4. AmmoCell

AmmoCell What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: <-- I'd add about a zillion more, but that'd be a tad too redundant...

Just plain awesome. And now I'll leave you alone and let you get back to the updates... :D

5. forester joe

forester joe shhh. can you hear your PC?

are the massive parts really a must?
    it seems that the alu plates and the MDF are very thick.

did you calculate that to be necesary? or just keeping on the safe side?

6. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

One could certainly make do with less. There are plenty of people that make capable Hobby CNC machines out of MDF - and they work for light materials just fine. However, since 99% of the work I am going to be doing is in Aluminum - and I want to do some work in Stainless Steel - I made it very rigid.

The more rigid a machine is, the better it holds tolerance. Also, eventually I will be upgrading the machine to the more accurate Linear Guides. The limiting factor in this machine, other than physical size, will be the spindle (router). :thumb:

Oh, as for the MDF top being "thick". It is just standard 3/4" MDF, it is used as a spoilboard - nothing structural about it. For those that don't know, a spoilboard is a surface that your parts are clamped to and that when cutting a part through - you will cut into the spoilboard a little bit. Eventually, when the spoilboard is cut up too much - you throw it out and put a new one on.

7. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Omg that's something BIG :) Really looking forward to see how accurate and goooood this is! I've sometimes thought about making one of my own, it would just be something smaller...

8. Mule

Mule What's a Dremel?

Must... Have.... UPpp...Dattte!!

I cruise by here almost everyday, but no update :waah:

You got a new job? :hehe: AWESOME work!!! can't wait for update!

Cheers,

Mule

9. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

no Automatic tool changer or automatic pallet changer? :p

10. timstolt

timstolt What's a Dremel?

Great work!!!

Yeah, javadog, no automatic tool change? Really- I'm disappointed! *winks! I just stumbled upon this forum from hackaday.com and have since read the whole course of your project! I can't express how neat I think it is that you're doing this!! By the way, what was the job you got fired..err, releaved from? Also, I remember you mentioning that you're 23; how is it that you've come to have so much knowledge of machining? (I'm putting these questions to you because I am impressed, not doubtfull, just so you know! ;) Anyways, awesome work! (I registered here on bit-tech.net just so I could post here, and subscribe!)

11. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Ok, bolted the Y-Axis Ballscrew to the Crossplate.

Now to make the Z-Axis!

Here is how the Ballscrew and Linear Slide will be laid out (more or less) for the Z-Axis:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have to drill the holes to mount the Z-Axis plate to the Y-Axis Slides:

[​IMG]

...and counter-sink them:

[​IMG]

Here is what it looks like bolted to the Y-Axis:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see that I need to make a bearing-block for the end of the ballscrew, and finish up the Z-Axis...

12. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Making the Z-Axis Ballscrew bearing-plate. For ease, I decided to make it out of polycarbonate. I will make a new one out of aluminium down the road...

Forstner Bit, Poly-carb and the top OEM bearing-block:

[​IMG]

Drilled with the bearing mounted:

[​IMG]

Mounting holes drilled and tapped:

[​IMG]

Re-Tapping the end of the ballscrew:

[​IMG]

All done and mounted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to mount the linear slide...

13. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Dual row of holes drilled for the linear slide:

[​IMG]

Tapped:

[​IMG]

Mounted:

[​IMG]

Now I wanted to add some physical stops so I didn't lose the slides off the end of the rails (big PITA):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That will do it, not going anywhere now.

Ok, now I needed to add a 1" thick block to get the mounting height for the ballscrew and linear-slide even:

[​IMG]

Marking the holes:

[​IMG]

Drilled and mounted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I drilled and tapped four mounting holes for the plated that will hold the router to the Z-Axis assembly:

[​IMG]

On to the Servo mounting!!

14. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Laying out the cut-lines for the Servo mounting plates:

[​IMG]

All cut:

[​IMG]

Now, where they mount to the machine itself, I wanted it adjustable - that way I can get the belts on and tensioned correctly.

First, drill a bunch of holes:

[​IMG]

Then, file like the Dickens:

[​IMG]

Now to drill the holes to mount the servos to the plate:

[​IMG]

Then using two different step-drills I enlarge the center-hole to fit the little lip on the servos. That way they will sit flush against the plates:

[​IMG]

Perfect:

[​IMG]

This is the Z-Axis Servo Mount, but you can see how the Servos fits like a glove:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Of course, I need to mount the Servo to the front plate for the X-Axis!

Here you can see where the spindle for the X-Axis ballscrew come through the front frame-plate:

[​IMG]

The Servo-Mount all finished:

[​IMG]

Then I had to enlarge the hole for the X-Axis ballscrew to fit the hub of the Pulley. Since I have a small drill-press that couldn't reach, I used my cordless drill (worked like a champ):

[​IMG]

Back to the Y-Axis plate and the Servo Mount. I needed to notch the spot where the plate mounts to the Y-Axis cross-plate:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perfect!

[​IMG]

Except for...

16. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

This big glaring mistake...er rather, just something I didn't think of:

[​IMG]

With the servo mounted this way for the Y-Axis, the Z-Axis servo would hit it when it still had almost five inches of travel left:

[​IMG]

So, to re-work the mount and swing the Servo to the other side. I decided I would just use a second plate and make some stand-offs.

Cutting the stand-offs:

[​IMG]

So, it would make the mount work like so:

[​IMG]

Of course, I broke my nice 4mm tap:

[​IMG]

Now I will leave you with a teaser of the finished machine:

[​IMG]

17. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Actually, yes - I'm co-opening a Coffee Shop/Bakery.

I would love to have a spindle that could make use of an automatic tool changer. Maybe on the next machine...

I was canned from a Technical Support position with a large distributor - but I am glad to be free of the Cubicle Hell. My Happiness and Health aren't worth $15 an hour.

As far as knowledge goes, same thing as everything I do. I self-teach myself and ask tons of questions of those who have been doing it much longer than me. Trust me, I make plenty of mistakes along the way! :D

18. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

polycarbonate Z-Axis Ballscrew bearing-plate

I'd probably replace that sooner then later i don't trust the polycarbonate to hold thoses threads under that kind of vibration.

Did you mention in the beginning that thoses servos are?? they look 300+ oz.

also if in the corse of things if you find that DeWalt a little to underpowered I love my Hitachi M12V 3-1/4 HP though it's shape may make it kinda hard to mount. But it can spin my 2.25" raised panel bit through an OAK panal in a single pass.

nice work though

19. OldY

OldY What's a Dremel?

WOW, that looks amazing and can't wait to see it finished!!! Have you tested it yet?

20. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Yeah, me neither. It will be the first thing the machine cuts.

They are 360 oz-in. A lot of people have used them, with good results.

Yeah, should be pretty easy for me to step up to a larger Router should the need arise.

Thanks! Just buttoning up the power-supply and control system. Going to be spinning the motors this week. :clap: