1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics AGP Upgrade Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LogicalChaos, 27 Jun 2006.

1. LogicalChaos

LogicalChaos What's a Dremel?

Well after a few good years my asus 6800 GT has just died on me :waah: Im going through withdraws not being able to play WoW Lol but anyways my question is should i buy a new card or should i replace the card i had and buy another 6800GT one thing i need to mention is that the video card is ""AGP"" so if i did upgrade i would need a agp card. My money is tight right now but in about a month im going to be able to spend around 300$ on a new card it has to be able to play WoW HL2 CSS ect. So what do you guys think should i go for a small upgrade? i plan on buying a new comp once Vista comes out so i still need a decent card to get me there, im also really intersted in what ATi has to offer at a midrange i havent really looked into there cards but thanks every one any advice would be appreciated.

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

What CPU do you have? You can get the 7900GT with 512Mb on AGP from Gainward and its very fast but depending on CPU it maybe better/cheaper to by a new motherboard with PCI-E and a PCI-E GPU

Edit saw the $ and thought pounds, oops.

3. LogicalChaos

I have Amd64 3400+ its clocked at like 2.4 or 2.2 and i have a gig of cheap kingston ram in there "I need a upgrade with that to :duh: "

4. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

As She/He said, as the Gainward card costs so much it really isnt worth getting AGP anymore and as you have a Athlon64 you might aswell go Pci-e now, and you can take over all your hardware u currently use minus the gfx card.

im sure $300 is enough for a 7600GT or a X1800GTO.

5. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

take a look here for socket754/pcie motherboards. pretty good prices so a upgrade to one should deffinately be possible with $300 :)
    click here

6. Max Tractor

Max Tractor Minimodder

I would not drop huge amounts on AGP, either try to pick up something similar to the gt 2nd hand, another gt/unlocking 6800, or go for pci-e

7. LogicalChaos

Great thanks everyone I think im going to go the socket 754/pcie route. So it looks like all also be getting a new mobo along with the video card =P

Last edited: 29 Jun 2006
  8. nigelnathan

nigelnathan What's a Dremel?

upgrade

I would go for intel core 2 duo motherboard with SLI PCI-E probably the gigabyte offer since that board can supposedly take the future 4 core chips.

9. iddqd

iddqd Minimodder

Not like that blows his $300 budget out of the water or anything...

Are you sure you want to go 754? The nforce chipset (if you go with it) really isn't as good as the 939 chipset, at least in my personal experience.

Tags: