1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Older Strat game RA2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by zmodder, 14 Jul 2006.

1. zmodder

zmodder What's a Dremel?

I've gotten into the older strat series lately leik RA2, neone know a good site when i can get a good strat guide? i've been havin trouble with this game, in generals i have no problem deystroying a brutal army and same in Sc but red alert is alot diffrent in the way u produce units and buildings, also there are sooooooo many freaken units to choose from, ne good strats?

2. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

ah, gotta love old school CnC. Been playing a bit of it recently - yeah I bought First Decade (tho the bonus DVD is a pile of ****).

For strats and the like try www.cncgames.com aka RADEN. Tho when I played it for the first time I just played skirmish over and over till I learnt what was good and what wasn't...

At the end of the day if you're Allies, you pwned with crusiers and at sea, while the Soviets pwned on ground with mammoths.

EDIT: Thats the original RA sorry lol. In RA2 it was tank rushes for the win :thumb:

3. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Cruisers + Helicopters = PwNaGe in RA. Red Alert 2 was a blast to play MP on the LAN. We had 4 4 vs. 4 servers going at one LAN to do a mini "tournament " of sorts. Loads of fun.

Anyways, enough remeniscing, www.gamefaqs.com always has tons of strategy guides and FAQs and such. I use it for things of that nature (and to listen to people blab about why FF is the end-all-be-all of video games)

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Nah, get a swarm of Prism tanks. That's pwnage. :thumb:

5. zmodder

zmodder What's a Dremel?

i still cant figure out if i should go allies or soviet, i've been doin alot of skrimishes thats how i got good at generals but ra2 is completely diffrent, i cant beat the brutal army but i have no trouble what so ever defeating the medium one.

6. Xenred

Xenred What's a Dremel?

Agreed.

7. Krikkit

The allied army is easier to win with at first, then you get the nuances of the Soviet army shining through with experience (e.g. daisy-chained Tesla towers, all surrounded with Tesla troops.)

As I said above though, all you have to do to win with the Allies later on is get a swarm of prism tanks and roll over the Soviet defences. :)

8. zmodder

zmodder What's a Dremel?

tried that good strat, but doesnt work all that well online, i can kill brutal enemies with that but i think my base defenses are crap cause they come over before i have a chance to get there. What order do u build ur buildings in?

9. kbates666

kbates666 What's a Dremel?

With the Allies All you have to do to have good defence is daisy chain your prism towers together. Furthermore protect your prism towers with a few pill boxes. Only use your first troops to attack a base as a last resort.

Since RA2's soviet tanks suck compared to the mammoth tanks of RA I believe the Allies are now better(hard to believe). Mammoth's those were the days.

10. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

A group of Mirage Tanks with some Prisms as back up is a well rounded force. Mirage tanks destroy infantry and vehicles with just a couple of shots and Prisms blow up buildings with just 2-4 shots. Get a couple of them up to elite and you got yourself quite a force.

Might wanna back em up with Rocket GIs.

11. Krikkit

See I don't think you've quite got the idea of how many prism tanks I'm talking about here. I'm talking about a swarm to fill a screen and lag the app down when they fire. Before that just nestle yourself in your base with prism towers and pillboxes. :)

12. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Against the AI, as Allies, just turtle like hell, tech up really fast and get the GPS upgrade to see the whole map. Play as france and spam grand cannons everywhere. Also helps if you play on a map with loads of chokepoints. Pillboxes? Eh? A couple of mirages/prism tanks should take care of infantry, pillboxes are a waste of money imho. Then once your defence is up to scratch just build a force of chrono-legionnaires and keep wiping out their miners. No economy = dead AI. The rest is easy.

As Soviets its more tricky as the Soviets don't have a such a good late game. Thus, Soviets are better suited to rushing early on. Continual harassment of their miners using terror drones is essential (esp if their soviets as well). If you want to turtle a bit, play as Iraq and spam out Apocs + desolators in a 2:1 ratio. Unstoppable within reason :)

If you're getting beat early on, build a couple of GIs and deploy them or use your war miner as Soviets. Yeah I know, but your war miner has a crapload of armor and kicks ass vs infantry. It can take the hits while you clean up with what you've got.

You know you're a god of RA2 when you can beat 7 brutals AIs team up against you :cooldude:

Last edited: 28 Jul 2006
  13. Krikkit

Can't say I agree with your there - Pillboxes are a great anti-personel weapon, especially if you don't have the tech built up for expensive prism tanks/towers.

14. Ben

Ben What's a Dremel?

Then you get some basted with hover troops come and pawn you (you would be surprised how good they are in a big swarm, there cheap as well :)).

15. Krikkit

Doesn't matter - I've legged it through your defences and toasted your base by then. Then all you've got to do is destroy the fleet of prism tanks, and get prawned on my AA defences ;)

[edit]Incidentally, did anyone actually enjoy Yuri's revenge? I thought it was a bit cheap, with overly-powerful units and a frankly laughable storyline.

16. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Nah, its wasn't great, but the moon missions were kickass! But they nerfed Yuri prime :( I was raging

17. samw1se

samw1se What's a Dremel?

yuris revenge is great, boris i believe is a new character and he pwns. also battle fortress pwns with 5 elite guardians or 4 desos and boris. helis also pwn. yuris is great, but only online.

18. tecate

tecate What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

That is truly elite!

As far as Yuri's revenge went, I watched it just for the chicks in the movie scenes.

19. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

In RA2 yes it was. In RA all you needed to do was lure stuff towards the sea and let the Cruisers do the work :D

20. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Surprising your enemy with a swarm of those "stealth tank" thingies (can't remember the name, the ones that look like trees when they stop) is also a great tactic.

Tags: