1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Broken DVD Player

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Tyler, 19 Jul 2006.

1. Tyler

Tyler What's a Dremel?

Okay, I just bought this used DVD/VCR Combo from a local business that was having a sale. I bought it at my own risk, and it was only 5 dollars. I thought i knew what was wrong with it. So when I got home and to my surprise, the fuse had been blown on the power supply. So I went to my local Radio Shack and picked up a pack of four for about $2.99. So I went home and put a fuse in. It worked for about 5 seconds, it turned on and everything. Then the fuse went poof. I called up the radio shack after blowing every fuse in the pack. They said that it could possibly be a bad power supply. I wanted to get a second opinion before i actually sprung for a new one. If you can answer this, I would be eternally grateful. And if someone could lead me to a cheap power supply, that would be awesome. Tyler

2. agent420

agent420 What's a Dremel?

The power supply in most consumer appliances like dvd players is typically not a replacable unit; more often than not the supply circuitry is on the same board as other components. Also, many times in devices like that you have multiple 'non-standard' voltages.

What did you think was wrong with it?

3. shotgunefx

shotgunefx What's a Dremel?

For what's worth, I somewhat recently dismantled one of mine for parts when it broke (probably about 2-3 years old) and was somewhat suprised that the PS was on a seperate board.

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Most of the home electronics I open up to look at now have seperate PSUs, since it makes it easier if a spike hits a unit to transfer a PSU straight out.

Do you have any pictures of inside the unit?

5. Tyler

Tyler What's a Dremel?

My power supply is a seperate board from the unit. it is only connected via ribbon cables to the main board. And actually, i read that you can get higher voltage fuses, so i think im going to try that and then resort back to here.

6. deiol

deiol What's a Dremel?

The fuse is blowing for a reason, the manufacturer doesn't just put it there to make their item not work. Its there to stop providing power to the unit if something is out of spec, to prevent damage to the unit or even fire, so don't put a higher rated fuse in. The fuse will pop if there is either too much current being drawn, or if there is a short. If it immediately pops, then its probably a short somewhere after the fuse, so look for anything shorted out.

7. shotgunefx

shotgunefx What's a Dremel?

Like deiol said, DO NOT DO THAT. You very may well end up with a $5 incendiary device.

8. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

sure. nails and wires work good as well. *smells burned electronics and watches magical blue smoke*

9. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

See, the thing about fuses is, they blow when there's a fault so the expensive stuff doesn't get damaged. The usual practice is to fix the fault before fixing the fuse. :duh:

10. Tyler

Tyler What's a Dremel?

It doesnt just blow automatically. When i plug it in it works fine itll power on fine, then when i go to look for a dvd to play. It blows the fuse.

11. elctroJunky

elctroJunky What's a Dremel?

Maybe the DVD Drive is the fault?
    Does your player have a standard IDE DVD-ROM drive?
    If so, measure the voltage to the drive and see if there's something wrong.
    I once had a DVD player with a faulty power supply. But no fuse to blow, the DVD-ROM drive (standard IDE) blew up. I found out, that the power supply put out 24V across the 12V line.
    I would have been happy if a fuse blew first...
    So, disconnect the PSU from every other electronics in your DVD player, put a new fuse in and measure the voltages.