1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors 0-60 in 4 seconds. 130Mph top speed...

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 21 Jul 2006.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

... So what, you say.

This is what. It's ELECTRIC. And has a 250 Mile range, and can be charged in 3.5 hours.

And it looks frigging cool, as any car that's pretty much based on the Elise should.

Ladies and Germs, I give you the Tesla Roadster:

[​IMG]

http://www.wired.com/news/wiredmag/0,71414-0.html?tw=wn_index_11

Where do I sign? :D

2. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

I want it!! and i'm american so i'm suposed to love gas eating cars :)

3. GreatOldOne

4. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

batteries wear out.... thats the only problem i see with it. unless there's some sort of servicing policy...

5. GreatOldOne

Batteries are supposedly good for 100K miles; Servicing costs are inclusive of the car price. Replacing the batteries would be expensive, but not overly so, considering the service interval.

The thing that bugs me about is that they're only going to be on sale in California, then New York. Anywhere else in the US will attract an extra premium on the price, and there is no plans at the moment to market them anywhere else in the world. So no UK cars. Which, quite frankly, is silly - considering that they're built at the Lotus Factory, and the cost of fuel here.

6. ajack

ajack rox

250 mile range isn't that fantastic. So if you want to take a trip >250 miles, you have to compensate for a 3.5 hour break every 250 miles?

Looks pretty damn sex though :)

7. GreatOldOne

More fantastic than any other electric (non fuel cell) vehicle I can think of. 250 miles is pretty much a weeks motoring for most people. Yeah, long distance travel may be a problem, but battery technology is only getting better.

8. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Another reason why it should be marketed in the UK rather then the US. We really can't drive too far and often don't.

'doc

9. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

well i doubt anyone really would be driving long distance trips in such a car, unless your byyourself, but if your witha family you know...

nice car though

10. GreatOldOne

Not really designed for that though, is it? According to Elon (watch the vid), these cars are basically paying for the next development, which will be more mass market / sedan / saloon style car.

I still think this is a fab idea. I don't do more than 250 miles in a week, so it'd be perfect - especially as charging would be done overnight. I'd never run out of juice. :)

Longer journeys would, of course, have to be done in the Jag. ;)

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I suppose putting the stereo up loud takes about 10 miles off your journey :D And at least you'll be able to hear it since the engine is silent at high speeds. Until they develop those batteries with nanotubes that can be charged in a fraction of a second I cant see people changing.
    Definately a step in the right direction though.

EDIT: I love the way that people think global warming can be cured by making electric cars. Where do they think the electricity comes from? Magical pixie dust?

I love the thought of integrating solar panel technology into the fabric of the cars bodywork, that would be cool.

12. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Two things bindi - firstly, the motor isnt silent - you can hear it when he's giving it stick in that video. silent when you're not moving (as the motor isnt turning)

secondly - he mentions that you can get a solar charger thing - so totally green friendly.

looks good to me.

13. GreatOldOne

Thanks for that, Homer. ;)

The SP's won't be integrated into the car (although I suppose they could, to give a trickle charge). They'll be installed at your house, and you pluc the car into that. The whole idea is that the SP will be a net power generator, so you'll make more juice than you use.

I think the noise it makes is quite cool - sounds like a turbine! :D

14. logan

logan flashback!

If money were no object this would definitely be on my shopping list.

Could be confusing only having 3 gears though - 2 forward, 1 reverse. (0-70 in first gear!)

If you're used to driving an automatic you might forget to change up if you only do it once, and if you drive a manual you'll have to stop yourself from changing early - will it have a beeper to remind you like some other near-silent car I can't remember?

In fact having no gear change (automatic or manual) until 70mph must be one of the contributing factors to such a short 0-60 time.

15. olv

olv he's so bright

At first i was a bit sceptical, but i doooo want one :D

16. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

I'd like to see the home-recharger for this, I reckon it's pretty big. Even if you can make a 3-hour stop, you'd still need a charger for it.

I really love to see them building electric sportscars. As a sports-car-enthousiast I'm really worried for the future, with rising gas prices sportscars won't be affordable anymore for the average joe (Elise etc..). I do reckon it's not quite the same as driving a gas-powered vehicle, but still a good step forward.

L

PS: how much will these cost?

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Solar would be great, although it never works at 100%, especially in this country. Im sure he's quoting for something like california. And silent, no, ok. But still it'll be extremely quiet not high rev engine noise down the motorway. Like sitting on a tram.
    Also solar cells need replacing quite often (in respect to most other energy production standards) and they cost a lot and there's a global shortage of the specific chemical they use in them.

Goo: I know he wasnt implying them on the car, but in the future I like the thought of generating your own electricity on the move so your car just keeps going in the sun. Getting the solar cells is tough like I just described above.

Only when the charge times and battery costs dont outweigh fuel then it will become a practicle move.

18. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

Gimme, Gimme, Gimme!

this is a pretty big step in the right direction ;)

Intrested to see how it turns out...
    Im hoping they are sucessfull... could be the founders of mass market electric cars?

19. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

The battries are only realy a problem if replaceing them cuts into the saveing made bu running on electrity compared to usein petrol. What we realy need is for one of our goverments or combination to set up races and get some big money into it. it will encorage development and raise the image of electric car more into mainstream.

20. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

That's the smartest thing I've heard all day.

Tags: