1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Icy Box being detected

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by SanguineRaven, 23 Jul 2006.

1. SanguineRaven

SanguineRaven What's a Dremel?

So last week I picked up a new router (WRT54GL), a new 500GB SATA hard drive and an icy box. The icy box is the IB-351 BL series, the model with both firewire and USB2.

The router was perfect, and I got the new hard drive setup no problem. So today I came to try my Icy Box with my 2 IDE drives I removed that were replaced by the new 500gb.

Connected it all up, powers up, the hard drive spins up and the LEDs are all on, but no signs of life on the PC. I have tried it with both USB and firewire conenctions and have tried 2 different PCs as well as trying 2 differnet drives:

Seagate Barracuda ST380021A 80GB
    Western Digital WD2000BB 200GB

According to the small leaflet in the box, the drives should be set to Master but this doesnt work, and I have tried cable select, slave and master with slave too.

So, any ideas? Is it faulty hardware or am I overlooking something? Anyone have a similar problem?

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Do ICY boxes take SATA harddisks? :eeek: I cant find an internal shot of the model you've identified.

Um is it formatted? Tried going into computer management - disk management and checking the partition on it? It wont show up til you do that.

Im not entirely certain what you're doing tbh. Tried plugging in the box after getting into windows?

3. SanguineRaven

Sorry I didn't explain well. Last week I had 2 SATA and 2 IDE drives in my case. I fitted my 500GB SATA to replace the 2 IDE's. So now I have 3 SATA internal and was trying the IDE's in the icy box. Both drives have been in use for a while and have data on them, and no it doesn't show up in Disk Management.

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Does a different USB device get detected?

5. SanguineRaven

Yep, the USB ports I used work with both my digital camera and my USB pen drive (just tested them now)

6. DougEdey

When you have it plugged in, does a "Unknown device" show up in device manager.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Rear USB or front USB? If front, try rear they are usually better. Otherwise your box is knackered.

8. SanguineRaven

Tried rear on two PCs. No reaction at all from PC, no balloon popup, nothing in Device Manager or anything :(.

9. DougEdey

Sounds like a faulty device, contact the place you bought it and request an RMA

10. fev

fev Industry Fallout

icy boxes und sata = yes