1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding MDVA Lite now available

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mashie, 5 Jul 2006.

1. mashie

mashie The one and only

Only the 5v line is needed to drive the MDVA. As for power draw only 8 LEDs are on at any given time thanks to the LED drivers so 500mA should be more than plenty.

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Awesome. Only 8 LEDs are on at a given time?

[​IMG]
    (sorry for swiping your bandwidth, I'll rehost if you want)

Are they just flashing insanely fast, or have I missed something? I checked the video (of mode 1 anyways) just to make sure it wasn't some bizarrely long exposure. Is it acting rather like those LED-writing things (where you spin it and get letters from ten or so LEDs)?

/me orders two regardless :)

erm... just went to order a pair of them... any reason that the email address isn't @mashie.org?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

3. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

I belive that he has it set up so that the LEDs are flashing on and off at such an insanely high rate of speed that while only 8 are on at a time it seems like they all are lit up.

IIRC I belive the term is multiplexing.

Last edited: 10 Jul 2006
  4. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

I would imagine thats his paypal account email which is most likely his main email. I just bought one and I'm sure mashie is 500% trustable. :lol:

5. Firehed

Oh I totally trust mashie, but I tried to go to the domain that the addy was at, and it redirected to one of those link farm parked pages. I'm more nervous that there's something funky going on at my end. But if you just bought one and noticed the same thing, I'm quite a bit less concerned (unless someone f00ked with mashie's page!).

6. mashie

mashie The one and only

Well I have used johan @grundstrom.com for the past 7 years as my main email (since it is my name after all, unfortunately that domain is owned by www.nameplanet.com). When I got mashie.org a few years later I decided it was easier to just keep the old address since it already was set up for everything including paypal.

As for the LED functionality, you can read about the two AS1100 LED drivers used here.

Edit: Don't worry about my bandwidth, the server is on gigabit so will not die anytime soon ;)

7. Firehed

Works for me :) I just got your response the the paypal payment message so it's all good. Thanks for the data link too.

I wasn't too concerned about the bandwidth, it's just a general Bit thing to re-host others content. I figured it wouldn't be a problem especially since you're selling the thing. Just thought I'd offer :thumb:

8. offroadracer789

offroadracer789 What's a Dremel?

since you are not going to make another batch of these, are you planning on releasing anything else?

9. mashie

mashie The one and only

Nothing planned. It is more or less impossible to make anything in small scale and even think about making a profit. The reason is simple, people are used to the price you can reach from 500.000 unit batches made in China. If you only do like 500 units you end up at a price point where people simply won't spend any money.

10. offroadracer789

I got it today.

I always thought you lived in the US on the east coast. I dunno where i got that from, but it arrived without any damage at all. Even though those bubble envelope things always seem to deliver stuff safely, i'm always afraid the item will be damaged somehow.

I'll post it in the modding section, but i am working on a mini panel thing that i will have on my desk. My local electronics store caries the exact same 3.5mm audio connectors, but i think i might make a new adapter using better connectors. From my previous experience those connectors were inferior in sound quality to some of the other 3.5mm connectors.

Have you tried copywriting the design and sellling the rights to a company that has the abilities to bring this onto the mainstream market? I can see this as a popular product if it was supported by a company that could market and mass produce it.

Thanks for the great product, too bad this wasnt profitable for you.

Last edited: 13 Jul 2006
  11. Firehed

I got my set today, works great :) For the record, I used my multimeter to check the current, doesn't seem to peak over 150mA so it should be totally safe for a USB-powered gadget (I'm going to give that a try later on).

12. offroadracer789

when i hooked it up to my ipod with the power connected to my test power supply, only one side showed activity. This power supply has power stuff flawlessly before, and the molex connector i used was correctly wired up, so i hope that it just has something to do with being hooked up to an ipod.

I did finish makling my stand for it, but i cannot find my digital camera.

13. Firehed

Probably. Each set of lines is one band (or so is my understanding), so either the audio plug wasn't pushed in all the way (I found the socket side to be rather tight) or it's just the generally not wonderful output on the iPod. IIRC it's seven bands and there are fourteen lines of LEDs, so I'm more inclined to think the former.

/edit - in fact, I can confirm that. If you leave the cable disconnected and just tap either the left or right pin with your finger, half the thing lights up. Gotta love analog.

It's now running off of USB power... totally rocks. Except that I had to find and then destroy a spare USB cable (I've got more than enough female USB sockets from mobo backplates, but never a spare cable!)

Put up a rather 30-sec ghetto video on youtube, with the sensitivity set a notch too high: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzTL2Ks-K-g (audio is much perfectly synced to the visuals, youtube just mangles it)

Last edited: 16 Jul 2006
  14. mashie

mashie The one and only

It is either the audio plug that isn't plugged in completely or it migth be some issue with the cable itself, I have seen a couple with broken wires in the past. To verify if it is the cable that is the cause just turn the connector facing the PCB around 180 degrees and the other side should light up instead.

15. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Yay! It arrived. Works great and once my project is closer to completion I'll work on making a temperature-to-sound circuit.

16. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

How were your MDVA's shipped? Still waiting for mine here.....

EDIT: Never mind, came today. One of the extentions for the buttons was cracked off but thats perfectly ok becuase their coming off anyway. This is an amazing product, thanks for sharing it with us mashie!

Last edited: 19 Jul 2006
  17. mashie

mashie The one and only

A few more shipped out today, not sure if it was any of you here at bit-tech that ordered.