1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Thermaltake Armor, a little modding and some slight pimping.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by CraigEG, 17 Jul 2006.

1. CraigEG

CraigEG What's a Dremel?

The fedex guy was like "Is there a case in there or is it just the box?" Hhaha

My response was "I freakin hope so!" :hehe:

First series of 'mods' will be prepping and priming, this takes hours of labor and even more hours of dry time so I will just take a ton of pics so that when I start sanding and waiting for primer to dry I can make a VERY detailed review on the case. I couldn't find half of the detailed info I wanted when I was looking at it.

2. CraigEG

CraigEG What's a Dremel?

Got hung up in the Yankees/Rangers game in HD, sorry guys. I'll be heading to home depot/pep boys for supplies tomorrow. For now I just took the entire case apart, drilled all the rivets out, case is in a billion pieces.

Nothing better to do with a $170 case when you get it then rip it into pieces.

Got some pics.

Case and the cat! Look how it dwarfs my full grown feline!

[​IMG]

Here are some pics of parts and such.

[​IMG]

I'm not going to use the blow hole fan, yet. First the fan has to blow air through the hex mesh pattern of the top of the case, which is about 65% open. Then it has to go through these TINY holes in the plastic, completely making it pointless. Still debating on what to do with it.

[​IMG]

I also got a card reader from a friend for cheap, comes in handy when I want to load pics without having to use my gf's pc. My card reader, next to the power switch mounting piece.

[​IMG]

Here I did a test fit with the card read, fit great huh? NOT!!

[​IMG]

I markered where I need to trim.

[​IMG]

So a quick couple cuts of the dremel and voila! I wasn't worried all too much about being clean with the grill since once it is black you won't really notice anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stripped case sans body panels.

[​IMG]

I finished those last couple pieces and decided to call it a night. I will get my supplies and get to sanding/priming tomorrow. I am glad this case is a simplistic design. The aluminum is nice and thick, with lots of re-enforced creases and dimples.

I am gonna test fit some things with cardboard, make a mock up of the radiator, so I know exactly what to do with the radiator when it comes down to it. I see too many people that cut up a case and then paint it, just to cut it up some more when they start to get everything together.

3. kbates666

kbates666 What's a Dremel?

Nice Case, and nice project ideas. Hope to see more soon.

4. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

I don't know what people are seeing thermaltake cases are good. I love mine need to buy another.

5. CraigEG

CraigEG What's a Dremel?

I was really impressed with this case. It is a great alternative to the Lian Li's that everyone seems to have. I haven't seen too many people with the Armor full tower. Will update late tomorrow!

6. hydro_electric_655

Not a lot of people seem to be using Thermaltakes stuff. I like it.

7. CraigEG

CraigEG What's a Dremel?

They aren't so 'plain jane' with their designs. Some may find it a little dramatic and maybe "ricey", but I find some of their cases and most the of their products to be pretty well made for a good price.

I like the Lian Li cases, but they are all too similar. I can do a little bit more with this case without having to do as much, if that makes sense.

8. CraigEG

CraigEG What's a Dremel?

Got to sanding and priming tonight, gf started complaining about the smell of primer. So I will let it sit on the balcony and if it rains she will buy me a new case.

Pics tomorrow guys!

I picked up a high gloss paint for the outside of the case, along with a metallic dark gray interior paint. I will be getting some pieces of plexi soon to begin that fun project as well.

May the Dremel be with you! :dremel:

9. hydro_electric_655

Tell her she can sit on the balcony this case is priority uno.

User discretion this will most likely result in a slap in the face and loss of sexual relations or otherwise.

10. CraigEG

CraigEG What's a Dremel?

I told her to be quiet and light a candle or something.

Then we watched CSI. Sorry guys, my sex life is on a slightly higher tier then case modification!

Updates and pics tomorrow, I painted it at night, hopefully it doesn't look too bad.