1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good laugh about Mac vs. PC Commercials

Discussion in 'General' started by CaseyBlackburn, 25 Jul 2006.

1. adam197

adam197 What's a Dremel?

I was going to pick through Stwongbad's post but I see DreamTheEndless has already done that, and did a very good job too.

I like the current ad campaign. Very much my style of humour, yet still (somewhat) informative. Isnt the Mac guy from Dodgeball?

2. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

Yes, that would be him.

3. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

you're all idiots.
    Every OS Sucks

(yes, i have a mac and a wintel machine, and run windows, linux and OSX regularly.)

platform agnosticism. it's the new black.

4. dwightschrute22

dwightschrute22 What's a Dremel?

Anyone see John Hodgman on the Daily Show the other day? He was explaining net neutrality, and said something to the effect of "imagine I was a computer". John kept needling him, "well what kind of computer? Perhaps a personal computer? What would you call that exactly". Twas amusing!

5. CaseyBlackburn

Yes I saw that, was pretty amusing him beating around the bush to make him say "I am a PC"

6. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Can you PLEASE PLEASE stop arguing?!

Both OS X and Windows XP have their downfalls, granted windows has more because its so widely used, and os x has less because its not as widely used.

But to just sit there and flatout say 'Oh macs are crap' is absurd. IMO they're both pretty good, windows excells at gaming, and quite a few other things. OS X is great for stability, and OS X seems to be quite a bit snappier on X86 than windows xp from what I've witnessed.

Just stop arguing about this subject, because it'll go on forever, as long as people have their opinions on something.

</rant>

7. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Tell me where you can buy a Mac motherboard to swap into your existing system and I'll stop saying it.

If a new bit of technology comes out, say Core Duo, I don't want to have to buy a completely new computer to take advantage of it. I want to buy the bare minimum amount to make the upgrade, so CPU, motherboard, maybe RAM or graphics card if my old system doesn't support DDR2 and PCI-E. This is completely possible with a PC, and completely impossible with a Mac, where (unless I'm totally off-base here and hidden somewhere in the depths of beardy-land there are fantastic upgrade prospects) the only way to upgrade is to buy a new computer.

That's a case, a PSU and an optical drive that you almost definitely don't need, RAM and a graphics card that you probably don't need, hard drives that are nice to have but your data is already on your existing ones, and a whole extra lot of fluff that really turns off people used to actually being able to upgrade their computer in the traditional PC sense. I've not bought a new computer since the mid-90s, I've just changed the innards bit-by-bit and the gradual evolution has kept me on or near the cutting edge every step of the way.

So no, you can't really upgrade a Mac. It's a completely different philosophy whereby when new tech comes out you sell your old system and buy a shiny new one. The PC user's point of view is that we look down on it because this is what we used to do before we realised that constant upgrading was the better option. People who do it the other way with PCs are looking for the easy way out and are probably computer-illiterate morons. Enter the Mac, where that's the only way to do it apart from some 'token' upgrading of little stuff like adding more RAM or changing your graphics card or hard drive, and it's pretty obvious why lots of us have the viewpoint we do about Macs.

OSX, on the other hand, is a very capable and powerful operating system that I am looking forward to trying out on a hardware platform that I don't find inherently annoying.

And none of that had anything to do with Mac commercials, the constant petty oneupmanship is getting very tired these days...

8. CaseyBlackburn

You kind of make it seem like a Mac is a laptop. But you can upgrade a Mac alot more than you can a laptop. I've got to run, I'll edit in more of this later.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Jul 2006
  9. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

Bah - Motherboard and CPU is a computer - everything else is just add on. On a mac, you can upgrade the everything else. Mr. "I can buy a new motherboard but I don't want to buy a new computer" - buying a new motherboard is buying a new computer.

10. Kameleon

This is a ridiculous assertion. I guess that means my new computers cost about a tenth of what yours do, then...:rolleyes:

11. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Thats what every OS license agreement says.

12. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

Uhhm everybody chill
    /runs for cover :worried:

Its been argued about a million times. as said above, both have there pro's and con's depending on what product you want and what you want to do with it!

On topic again: I think those spots are quite amusing...and so true.

13. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Apple are a company exactly like Dell, apart from Apple make their own OS. All of the Dell's I've ever seen use completely different standards than custom built PC's.

You can't compare a macintosh to a custom PC, because its a CUSTOM PC!

You can't really upgrade a Dell now, can you? Can you change the motherboard on the Optiplex systems? No. Hell, you can't even put a decent graphics card in because they use half-height PCI-E slots.

14. Kameleon

Thanks, I was going to add a little bit about Dell in. That's what I was talking about when I said "this is what we used to do before we realised that constant upgrading was the better option. People who do it the other way with PCs are looking for the easy way out and are probably computer-illiterate morons".

No, you can't compare a Mac to a custom PC, but there's nothing in the Mac world that does compare, and this is the disadvantage to the platform. Sure, the PC world has companies like HP and Compaq who make things that are functionally the same as Macs when you want to upgrade them, but it also has the possibility of custom-built systems too, whereas there is nothing on the Apple side of the fence. This is my point, the rest was just philosophising on whether this is one of the main reasons for the PC user's hatred of Macs.

15. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

I see your point Kam, and I resepect it.

Although, Mac's can be upgraded, although really the only thing that can't be upgraded is indeed the motherboard. You can buy processor upgrades for the older mac's, and now the newer intel ones (apart from the laptops, but I've only ever personally seen one laptop which had a socketed processor).

Although imo if you build a custom pc, you should be able to install any OS you chose, Windows, Linux, Unix, etc, and I think this is mainly the problem with it. People buy a custom pc, and are legally limited to Windows, or an OSS alternative. People WANT OS X on their custom PC's, but Apple, at present don't allow this.

Although, I've read on another forum, that Apple *might* let OS X out to the wild. But I personally don't see this happening.

16. simon_C

simon_C Minimodder

*SIGH*

i swear, every time someone starts a thread that mentions mac and pc in the same paragraph ends up in this argument.

in the end what difference does it really make?

why do people care so much about what the other person likes?

i buy macs because i like macs. pure and simple. end of story.

people like what they like and there is absolutely no reason to argue or fight over it or even critisize other people for choosing one or the other.

IN THE END IT COMES DOWN TO TWO LITTLE WORDS:
    PERSONAL PREFERENCE

now please, enough of this mac/pc crap.

17. CaseyBlackburn

Sorry for just trying to show a picture.

18. simon_C

simon_C Minimodder

hey its alright. the pic was funny (this is coming from a hardcore mac user)

its the other people im mad about not you.

19. customh

customh conflagration.

Damn right. But Kameleon will say forums are for discussion. And they are. But not flamer discussion with anger in your tone like you're the only right one in the place. Ahem... thats all.

Good film, the rest is spam...methinks anyways. (even if it is a joke)

Last edited: 27 Jul 2006
  20. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

mac users have every much as right to express their love for their machines as PC users!

say it loud!
    say it proud!
    i'm a mac user!
    :worried:

(sorry, the "personal preference" thing set me off :p )