1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Sensitive switch for a DDR pad?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Emon, 27 Jul 2006.

1. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

A friend of mine is building a (well, many) DDR pad, and is looking for the best solution to detect steps. Apparently the arcade versions are pretty sensitive, and he wants to duplicate that. We were thinking about a piezo force sensor of some kind, but we aren't really sure what to look for. He wants something robust, so sheetmetal and a nail like other home DDR pads isn't going to cut it. There's also the issue that the controller needs to continually send a signal when the player steps on an arrow, it's not just one tap.

I'm just posting here on his behalf because he's lazy and has actually gotten me interested in the project.

2. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

3. Nezuji

Nezuji What's a Dremel?

When I was dreaming of building a DDR pad, I figured on building an arrangement with two strips of sheet metal, mounted on weather stripping, one stuck to the "pad" and the other stuck to the "base", being mounted in a cross shape, such as:
    Code:
    (Viewed from above)
       ___    ___
    /\ \ |    | / /\
    \ \ \|    |/ / /
     \ \ \    / / /
    \ \ \      / / /
    |\ \ \    / / /|  /__ Extra support
    L_\ \/    \/ /_]  \   blocks in corners
    TOP       BOTTOM

/\  /\
    \ \/ /
     \/\/ /__ Contact point
     /\/\ \   in the middle
    / /\ \
    \/  \/
    That leaves plenty of space to solder wires to the metal strips and put some heavy-duty springs in there. You'd definitely want a debounce circuit in there, though.

Personally, I liked the little bit of "travel" that was in the original arcade machine pads, and that's what I was focused on replicating with this (untested) idea.

I've got a feeling that the original machines just used a pad that was hinged on one side, with the free side being supported by springs over a heavy-duty momentary switch, with some padding and supports to stop the switch from getting crushed.

Nezuji :)

4. TimEG

TimEG What's a Dremel?

5. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

I would think to use conductive foam since the closer both ends are, the less resistance there is across.

6. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Get a think layer of plexi glass then use a non contact capactive sensor switch array. This will creat a impulse controlling a relay which will control the board like a normal controller. When a foot or hand is near the board it should pick it up and react.