1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Is it worth getting an Xbox 360?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by AlexB, 25 Jul 2006.

1. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Hey.

I ordered a 42" HD Ready TV last night (a proper 1920x1080 one) - is it worth getting an xbox 360 to play on it, with a couple of good games, or is this generation xbox as **** as the last one?

I'm a bit fussy when it comes to games, so im not sure if I'll like the Xbox. On my PC I love Racing Sim's (GTR, GTL, Gran Turismo etc) but hate arcade racers. I love Counter-Strike, Call of Duty Multiplayer (single player is boring) and love battlefield 2.

Are there any good racing games out on the Xbox, and how does the controller deal with the shooters?

So, is it worth me getting a 360? Or should I just make do with my PS2 for now? Does it really do justice of the HD telly?

Cheers everyone!
    -al.

2. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Why not go down the shops and have a play for yourself? Only you can decide whether or not you'll like a console.

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Friend of mine loves teh same PC games as you, bought a 360 with GRAW.

He's never looked back since.

4. mushky

mushky gimme snails

PGR3 is very good. I would class it as arcade, but I class GT4 as arcade. Forza 2 should be good when it comes out.

5. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Yeah, PGR3 is good, when you can figure out how to brake. A proper racing gamer should use a wheel. FPS will work better on your PC, and most racing games on PS3 will be on PC as well, so yes, it is worth buying a 360, as long as you can live with the dodgy controller. I tried it out yesterday getting my new router, and it has excellent graphics performance, pretty much on par with current PC's in quality, but nowhere near in terms of actual power. I'd look around for a wheel that has a clutch, if there is one, so you can do clutch kick drifts in PGR3. :D But most of the games on PS3 will be on Xbox360, if not all, where as X360 has games to itself. Use the PC and the Xbox, but there are only a few games that are actually decent that are only for 360.

6. eUphoria

eUphoria What's a Dremel?

Im going to buy one for games like PGR3 and forza 2, and halo 3 when it appears of course! I think it'll look a lot better by a fair margin on an hdtv than a ps2 tbh! Like otehrs have said - go play! :D

7. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

I bought one yesterday ;)

8. Trekari

Trekari What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't buy a 360 if I were you.

Here's my story for why not:

http://forums.xbox.com/5663809/ShowPost.aspx

9. DougEdey

So you are trying to say that because you personally had this problem (which I have never heard anyone else having) no-one else should buy a console?

10. Trekari

Trekari What's a Dremel?

11. DougEdey

I'm talking about the fact that you opened your case and then were angry that you couldn't get it repaired.

The reason behind this is that by opening the case you may have done some changes to the internals and if a service person tries to do some testing you may cause injury.,

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Im still holding out on a 360 til December because im SURE they will re-release a new model with a HDDVD player in it after Sony brings out the PS3.

13. Trekari

Trekari What's a Dremel?

Their warranty says nothing about not being able to get it repaired if you open it. My warranty period has expired, so I should be treated like every other post-warranty customer.

It would've been $129 to send it in, and I would've been pissed if I'd sent it in only to find out the internals were dusty and someone just blew the heatsinks clean. Since nothing said I couldn't get it fixed and my warranty was *well* expired, I decided to open it myself to make sure it wasn't a dust/heat problem.

For them to make NO notification whatsoever about opening it makes it unrepairable at ALL is what has me so pissed.

14. Vergil_117

Vergil_117 What's a Dremel?

X360 is somewhat worth buying now, but I wouldn't suggest it till later this year or next. By them all the game lock ups, bugs, and other issues will be fixed.

15. DougEdey

That's what I'd call common sense I'm afraid,

voided warranty == voided support in my eyes.l

Anyway, getting off topic and I don't want any flame fest

16. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I want one, but not right now. short of cash and waiting for a sale or price drop. So prob looking at christmas :) I like the Table Tennis game and cant stop playing it everytime I pas virgin Megastore. I kick all the kids off and hog it all day :) until they kick me out of the shop :(

17. img

img Minimodder

waiting really to see what the new consoles bring to the field. really like the idea of the Wii being a bit different. Having the same games out each time a new console comes along with better graphics isnt my reason for buying one.

18. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I'd say it's worth getting. This fall/winter alot of the advertised game for the system are going to be released. Chromehounds is out already, Oblivion is out, Ninty Nine Nights is coming out next month I believe, along with Dead Rising, Saints Row, and later on Gears of War (is it still this year? or was that Too Human?), Bomberman, Timeshift, 360 is looking really good this coming holiday season.

19. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

If it's out of warrantee, it's voided. Cracking it open doesn't void an already void warrantee. In fact, I'd be surprised if what they said wasn't illegal (I'd also be surprised if their 'opening voids the warrantee' would hold up in court, since you didn't sign anything agreeing; implied terms don't do much). Out of warrantee does NOT mean unservicable.

Anyways, I wouldn't bother. I've wanted to rent one for a while (which I can do for free), but I'm still waiting for a game to come out that looks worth playing. Not to mention some of the early ones outright molested games, though I'd assume that's been fixed by now. We've got 40 games for the 360 where I work, and the system we rent out destroyed at least five of them so far, from what I can only assume is an optical media equivalent of a head crash. I'm surprised the laser can still read anything.

20. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

if youre thinking about getting a 360 then do some research/play some of the games before hand. as ive been seeing a hell of alot of people getting rid/bored of their 360's due to no games being available for them. for me personally, id love a 360 but id only want it for one game (PGR3)
    other than that, theres been very little thats cought my eye thats not already on or coming for the PC.

Tags: