1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics dualie monitor advice needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Geek, 28 Jul 2002.

1. Geek

Geek What's a Dremel?

So I want to go to two monitors. Right now I have a Voodoo3 (old, but it works for me :--) Should I buy another vid card (PCI), or just pick up a cheapy dual-head card? Also, any recommendations for said cheapy dual-head card are welcome - keeping in mind that this isn't for Quake III or anything. Sub-$80 if possible.

Thanks!
    Gordon

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Id probably just get a PCI TNT2 , should be able to get one for around £30 ($45 - £50)

3. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

I've heard of voodoo 4's running £20.

4. Geek

Geek What's a Dremel?

I could also get an ATI Radeon 7000 w/ 64MB DDR for $45 - but is there an advantage to having two cards?

Gordon

5. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

If you don't need to spend the extra money, there's no reason to. That's the primary reason to go dual vid card. If the 7500 wasn't ATI it would save you a lot of headaches ;)
    If you wanna spend the extra money go for the 7500. BTW, is the current card agp or pci? I forgot which voodoos were the first to go agp.

6. Geek

Geek What's a Dremel?

Mine is indeed AGP. The PCI card I'd get (Jaton TNT2) is $34 shipped, so the price isn't a big difference. Are there even pros and cons to consider at this point?

Gordon

7. jamnog

jamnog Guest

i have agp card and pci card ill try them out in the same mashine and let you know i think the pci it rage only 4 meg but shure twin veiw is not a problem. should be trying after i have my bath and soemthing to eat as my spare monitors are out in the shed atm
    would you like me to try this in 98, 2k or mandrake?

Last edited by a moderator: 29 Jul 2002
  8. jamnog

jamnog Guest

didnt have any headache

wee i have two monitors on my desk and one has a smaller res (because its not such a good monitor).

rage pci 4 meg : should go up to 1600 by 1200 according to properties works as a different res desktop to the left
    prophet pro agp : this is my normal card works fine as it allways has no conflicts and it has a tv out wich still has the same properties acts in the same way.

oh yea there where no problems with me having a pci gfx card and the agp card, so it would be fine for a double display i had no special devices it was in the properties of win2k
    if you where to go for getting a nice new gfx card then having a pci second card would allow you more choise than if you got a dule... or you could have three monitors...hmm ... yep well the third monitor in this case is a television but it is the same with dule cards well thats it i think just typing now for the sake of the dolphin team ... hmhmhhhmm i would think people would sell a pci card like that for next to nothing and if i wqas to be getting a g4 i would get a crappy little pci to cover the second monitor (tho this is the first time ive tried having two.

so pros and cons would be money based get shopping geek

Last edited by a moderator: 30 Jul 2002
Tags: