1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Spectrum Analyzer

Discussion in 'Modding' started by |V| 4 L k i 3 R, 23 Jul 2002.

1. |V| 4 L k i 3 R

|V| 4 L k i 3 R Minimodder

I'm looking to put a spectrum analyzer on the front of a PC, sorta like what is found here Project Anemone

I had found a couple of kits that would do 2 bands, but was kinda hoping for 10.

Anyone have a circuit for this? or perhaps know of a place with a kit for it? I have some soldering experience, so either would be just fine.

2. linear

linear Minimodder

Welcome to the boards.
    Sadly, that kit is discontinued.

The schematics for it have been posted by animeguru, a forum member:

http://www.animeguru.com/images/4300n.gif
    http://www.animeguru.com/images/4300o.gif
    http://www.animeguru.com/images/4300p.gif
    http://www.animeguru.com/images/4300q.gif
    http://www.animeguru.com/images/4300r.gif

*but* you can't get the IC taht does the snazzy multiplexing, so those plans are basically for study purposes only it seems.

The basic design is there's a bank of 10 bandpass filters, and the multiplexer strobes them rather quickly and draws each band in the spectrum one by one, but it happens so fast you see the whole display lit. A rather clever circuit.

Possibly it could be reverse-engineered and reimplemented around an LM3914 bargraph driver.

3. SiliconHell

SiliconHell What's a Dremel?

One question here ...........
    What the hell is a spectrum analyser?

4. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

You know the funky little things on stereo equipment and umm, winamp (;)) that have a load of bargraph style lights that go up and down to the music? That's a spectrum analyser.

It seperates the difference frequency ranges of the music, and makes a barchart of them all to put it simply. Then update this 20 times a second (or some equally fast speed) and you've got a spectrum analyser.

5. SiliconHell

How difficult would it be to rig up a sound sensitive one , like to a microphone

6. macroman

macroman The One

I just had a quick look at the circuit and I can't see anything that can't be replaced with an alternative. But I don't know what the actual chips are that are used in the kit?

Which chip is unavailable?

Hmm, funnily enough Lin, I am currently designing a multiplexed 3194/5/6 circuit which could probably be adapted as a spectrum analyser. Only problem would be the complexity of the filter PCB which might put some folks off building it.

7. AmPz

AmPz What's a Dremel?

It's the old telefunken A/D that is impossible to find. (not produced anymore).

It is a nice little project, but there is one or two downsides with that design:

1: It's sensitive to sound level, if you turn up the volume, the bargraphs will all hit the top. If you turn down your volume, then the bargraphs will also go down.

2: It can't be used for anything else than just a spectrum analyser.

A universal LED matrix connected to the serial port cost the same, but it can be used to display anything (scrolling text, misc graphics, etc..) Also, this way it's insensitive to changes in sound level.

8. SiliconHell

Where could I get one of the univesal LED's ?

9. AmPz

AmPz What's a Dremel?

At the moment: you dont'.
    If you want one then you have to design and build it yourself.

However, I'am working on one design that is close to finished.
    Check www.blinkenlights.tk for some asorted info and videos. (older info at the bottom of the page, new info at the top)

That Welleman kit mentioned above uses 100 LED elements (10*10*1). My design use 322 LED elements (23*7*2).
    Needless to say, the total cost of components is about twice the price of the welleman kit.
    Also, my version is (of course) designed to fit perfectly in a empty 5.25" bay. :D

Last edited: 29 Jul 2002
  10. |V| 4 L k i 3 R

Nice work

Ampz....all i can say is nice work. Would like to see a couple more vids when it is finished. Would also like to see if you're still going to possibly offer it as a kit. I LIKE it!!!

11. AmPz

AmPz What's a Dremel?

Re: Nice work

tnx! :)

There are 6 mpeg videos on that page... Is that not enough for you?
    The hardware is pretty much finished, so this is how it will look. There is pretty much only some software and stresstesting left to do.

12. ^KoC^R@

^KoC^R@ What's a Dremel?

little q

would it work if you don't use tri color leds, but plain leds? (u are using tree ledlegs, plain ones only have tree)

all of them blue :eyebrow: ;)

that would be rather costly, i can get 3mm blue leds at 0.6 euros tough

13. NiHiLiST

Blue and white would look best ;) and also be most expensive. In fact no; purple, blue and white would be the best :) Would prolly cost a few hundred quid to make even if tri-colour purple/blue/white LEDs existed.

14. NiHiLiST

Wait a second, 3 legs means dual-colour :/ Common anode and a cathode for each (or vice versa).

15. ^KoC^R@

^KoC^R@ What's a Dremel?

three legs can be tricolor too

AC (1anode+1cathode)
    CA (the other anode + 1 cathode)
    ACA (both anodes + 1 cathode)

16. |V| 4 L k i 3 R

Looked at your site again...didn't see the other vids....lookin good.

I hope things are goin well and keep us posted on this project. Will like to see it when its all finished up and perhaps get the schematics and software from ya.

17. AmPz

AmPz What's a Dremel?

^KoC^R@: I've never ever seen a tricolor (RGB) LED with only three legs. Don't think they exist since that would be a quite stupid pin configuration.

And, yes, it would work with only plain two pin LED's, but the current PCB is made for three pin LED's so I'd have to redesign the PCB if I want plain LED's.
    Besides, why would I want just plain LED's when I can have dual color LED's? I think red/green LED's look better than blue LED's.

|V| 4 L k i 3 R: The PCB's are double sided (they have to be professionally made) and the CPU need special software and hardware to be programmed, so you probably have little use for either schematics or software.

18. complexprocess

complexprocess What's a Dremel?

such as 1200 times per minute?

19. linear

linear Minimodder

Engineer humor is the best.

20. ^KoC^R@

^KoC^R@ What's a Dremel?

a tricolor led isn't the same as an rgb led... it does exist with three legs, i've got some over here

u don't have to want it dude, i was just asking if it was possible
    don't shoot me man
    u prefer red and green, i prefer blue (and white)