1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Vista won't support CableCARD add-ins

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 4 Aug 2006.

1. MortarHeadd

MortarHeadd What's a Dremel?

DX10 isnt really that much of a block. Games that are really popular end up on linux as well as windows. linux has no DX at all. Besides, my mythTV box is running strong, and I don't plan on taking it down any time soon.

2. synapse1337

synapse1337 What's a Dremel?

LOL, no offense to all you linux people... but linux is just for people that need to feel all uber leet and special.

DX10 has always been specifially for Vista and will ONLY be. It's a question of the api's that are written around it. DX10 wouldnt be effective running on an XP Box... it just wouldnt take any of the features which make DX10 good.

MortarHeadd - the whole point of DX 10 is to offload cpu cycles as well as a number of other things at the api level to make gaming performance much better. With no DX10 you're basically wasting a great performance increase as well as negating the point of even having a new DX10 card or any future vid card.

Like all schemes that are supposed to prevent something or other... it will be cracked/hacked or some other solution will come along. Just a question of how long. People can just use STB's in the meantime and wait. Obviously it's a huge blow but atleast there is still a solution which seems more important to me.

Just my two cents...

3. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

those cable cards sound awsome... full quality ***!

anyone got any reason at all to use vista apart from dx10?

*also why is F T W censored?

(as far as I know that means for the win)

4. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

well I guess I do feel special as all my linux pc's never need virus scaning or defraging can run stabley for months at a time with full cpu usage and run faster than windows versions of the same aplications... did I mention that using linux can also save you from stuff like WGA? and that very good distros are free?

5. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

DX10 will never appear on XP.

6. bender386

bender386 What's a Dremel?

do any video cards support DX10 yet?

7. Dizman

Dizman What's a Dremel?

I think it also can mean **** the world.

And on linux, lets just say that it is really good for anyone who isn't against putting some work into getting their os just the way that they like it. But let's not get too off topic...

8. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Nope, the sysadmin of bit-tech doesn't like the term. He also screws with peoples avatars and custom titles :grr: :p

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I sincerely doubt that. No-one can force them to do a thing like that, and IIRC there are certain driver level issues that would prevent DX10 being used on XP without a mammoth ammount of work. MS are unlikely to undertake that work, considering that gamers tend to upgrade when they need new stuff to play new games. I'm fairly confident DX10 will be vista only untill someone works out how to make it work in *nix.

10. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I really want to hear that whole story some day :confused:

11. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

i'm sorry but did you miss the word "only"

MS have said why DX10 will be vista only, the way DX10 is made makes it incompatible with the back end of XP, porting it over would take a long time

i don't think MS will move DX10 to XP

but i don't think games manufacturers will make games DX10 only for a very long time, a lot of games still aren't DX9 only at the moment

12. Ringold

Ringold What's a Dremel?

There's more than DX10; some people have short memories or maybe just dont read the bajillion articles floating around! Most important thing to me is the ground-up rewrite of virtually everything which does what the industry has been asking for for years and will, after maybe some stumbling, make it more secure. Article at Anandtech has also shown that in some cases, even before serious optimization, it's also faster at certain things.

Which leads me to what I've thought all along: There shall be great whining, and much moaning, but at the end of the day, anyone that has an appreciation for OS's and what they can do for you, and has an urge to not be on a 5 or 6 year old OS, shall begrudgingly plop down the cash for the Ultimate Edition.

Regarding linux.. I thought I'd give Ubuntu a whirl, right? Everyone makes it sound like gods gift to linux n00bs, sweats by it, etc. Command line doesn't scare me much as long as I have an idea what to do with it, so unto the breach I went. Installed okay; except for the whole net access thing. Didn't like my laptops wifi card, and this aint exactly new. A year old, and about a year old model when I bought it. Tried three different methods, all three of which required obscure little apps that couldnt be done with a GUI and all took about 30-45min to find (the solution guides), then 10-15min to actually try. And I must've missed the geek memo saying that "binary" and "proprietary" data is the incarnation of the devil on Earth, 'cause virtually no media that the common person would want worked out of the box. Had to go get a ton of "evil", and honestly confusing and seemingly redundant, packages. What does one do in Windows to play every media file ever made? Download VLC. Done.

Like others said though, I bet it'll get cracked. I bet it'll get cracked in the Beta or Release Candidate stage, and it'll show up in bittorrent days before it even hits NewEgg or retail shelves. :D I just wonder if MS will be slightly complicit and not try to patch it away every month or they'll try to crush every last hack they find.

13. Risky

Risky Modder

I would just liek a PVR with vaguely 21st century software. I'm stuk with SKy+ here (terrestrial poor in this loc) and the interface is pathetic.

14. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

Built mine using the eVGA nvtv tuner, works great, I have one of the original media center tuners back from mce2002 (pre sp2) something like eMuzed or something, still works with mce2005, I dont see a real problem as long as some company is willing to make a tuner that is compatable, iirc the NVTV MCE tuner is only for MCE2005, and nothing else as it comes with no player application, but I am sure some 3rd party tv player app would work with it.

My HTPC

15. Fruitloaf

Fruitloaf Tinkerer

I've just pretty much switched to Ubuntu and whilst its not necessarily as easy as some people make out it wasn't that hard. My wireless card worked out of the box but not everyone does which is a shame. Wireless support is generally not the best but its apparently getting a complete makeover in the next version. Theres a great script thats available on the Ubuntu forums called Automatix or just what you do in Windows and download VLC.

If it weren't for gaming I would completely dump Windows now but as it is I think I'll have an XP partition for a long time.

16. fev

fev Industry Fallout

ok, so i've just taken a note of people who've said "nah i won't use vista... it's gonna be gay/crap/stupid"

We'll see who changes their mind when it's out. I've no doubt those people were anti-XP all those years ago

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

So? We've still got tons of games supporting back to DX7. Instinct tells me that DX10 games aren't going to eliminate support for pre-DX10, save Halo 2 and that's only because MS wants to force upgrades and has no other way.

fev - good point. But unlike XP which actually had some advantages, all that's really left of Vista is DX10 (with no supporting hardware) and Aero Glass. All the actually useful stuff was taken out due to time, and even still they're rushing things to meet a semi-deadline (which always results in crap software). 'When it's done' is the ONLY way to create good software, something that MS never seems to realize. Even security is becoming laughable... I remember back when hackers had to wait for the OS to be *released* before they ripped it a new one.

Of course, I rarely game anymore, so I'm all but converted to OSX. Only thing I use XP for now is to test my websites in IE, and I just pop open a parallels window to do that. And if IE7 beta is any indication of how Vista will be (was utter crap for me, somehow even worse than IE6), I won't even bother "buy"ing Vista.

Cthippo - re: f t w. RTT got sick of it. Simple as. Seeing as even the other mods and admins work around it, it's pretty much a joke at this point.

Umm... back on the orignal topic though... this is just stupid. Though I suppose that the pirates that they're trying to deter would run XP anyways, since it'll have lower overhead. To whoever made the comment about off-the-shelf PCs and being the uploaders, that probably is the case - almost certainly anyone who's going to be seeding pirate material is the DIY type. I can't back that up, but I think it's a pretty reasonable assumption.

18. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

I remember when the whistler beta came out, I was pretty excited actually, that I almost started to count the days until this XP came out, but then with the longhorn beta's, and now vista, its rather lame/slow/bulky/bloated it makes my 3.0E p4 run like a 486...., which is kinda lame if you think back to the new os's of the past,

95 > 98 for instance, basically the same os, with huge updates, yet if you instaled 98 on a 95 based computer, you hardly saw any preformace drop, if any due to a slightly more stable os...

and look at 2000, it will run on just about anything that is still around, just fine, a slick os. And xp was still amazingly quick on my old Toshiba Portege 7140ct with a 500mhz mobile pIII and 192 of ram.....

There is just no excuse for what vista is doing, dx-10 be damned, the new graphics technology is no excuse for an operating system being nearly twice as slow as its predecessor....

/rant

Tags: Add Tags