1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Pc Media Chair in development Wat do u want in it???

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by GameChairDeveloper, 5 Aug 2006.

1. GameChairDeveloper

GameChairDeveloper What's a Dremel?

hey guys/girls
    well like the title says my company is currently in the development of a pc media chair. I know what your thinking...its already been done. Well to be honest not what we are developing. My company has a patent on a special type of speaker only available in japan. And we have already incoporated it into a living room media chair (which is doing very well at the moment) I have 2 chairs sitting in my living room and I gotta tell you it is awesome! But im sitting in my computer chair most of the time and I want to get that same incredible feeling. So I am currently in development of designing a prototype with the patented speaker as well as some other options.

Here is where you come in:

I want to hear from all of you hardcore gamers who spend hours on the computer and play lots of different games...What kind of things would you like to see on this chair? I want to build a gaming chair that all of you would love to have in your room. So feel free to give any opinions...and I will try my best to design it accordingly. Also If I recieve enough feedback from you guys then I will offer a discount once the chair is finalized and put into production as a thank you from me and my company. So Thanks again guys...

2. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

although in the wrong forum...
    wheelie and swivley chair...

wires would be bad for the above, so perhaps wireless... buuuuuuuuut who wants a battery on their chair?

perhaps an idea such as -> http://www.afrotechmods.com/cheap/arnoldpad/arnoldpad.htm
    that provides power without wires.. a mat of coiled wire with a chair rolling around in top, perfects... maybe

headphone outputs somewhere easy to reach, and out of the way... side of an armrest? and have a mic input there also... and a usb port for the hell of it...

so now you have a speakered chair that never needs to be powered, and has a wireless transmission for usb, audio in/out

what more could one want? a margarita maker built in :)

3. GameChairDeveloper

thanks for the ideas, i actually already have the headphone/input/microphone outlet and am working on a custom amplifier to push all the speakers. I really want to go wireless but obviously that will put cost up. Im speaking to a few developers on the power source and remote and seeing if i can do the wireless without outrageous prices. I want all of you guys to have a chair w/o breaking the bank =p thanks and keep the ideas coming. like i said discounts will be provided to the ppl who help w/ the chair.

4. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

hey, couple of ideas,

you could have a retractable plug, and a battery in the chair, and then when you go to bed, you can plug it in, and when you need to use it you can unplug it again.

other than audio and usb ports over a wireless connection..im not usre what else a gaming chair would need.

maby a drinks holder? or two infact.

5. GameChairDeveloper

definitely a good idea but i think having to charge a battery might be a problem for some gamers who spend insane amounts of time on the chair =p
    plus having a battery on the chair is a lil much. I dont want it to be like all the other bulky ugly looking chairs on the market =p *no offense to those who have them* still a good idea tho. thanks!

6. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

It should look like one of those crazy expensive office chairs. Can't remember how they are called. Headphone plug seems like the most important extra to me, as the cable always gets in your way. Most important is that its a good chair.. no point in having all those gadgets in your chair if its not comfortable.

If you already going to need a wire..then you might aswell go ahead and add an USB hub. Then maybe a automatically cooled beverage holder (a peltier would work).

All that I can think of (thats reasonable).
    L

7. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

the powers going to be a problem, especially to either make the cables easy to hide or the battery system.

i think batteries can be almost instantly discounted as they will always limit the duty cycle the chair can be placed on because you can rig it up to run for 12hrs or a day but your still going to have to spend time charging it. you could use Li-ion or Li-po (and their nasty tendency to rupture and catch fire if mistreated) batteries to keep it compact but then you run up the inherent cost of those cells and the extra monitoring circitry and increased time it woud take to charge. sealed lead acid, Ni-MH and Nicd batteries are out as well really because they are bulky and heavy.

i think the best way to make the cable inconspicous is for them not to look out of the ordinary....so if you had a RJ-45 socket and a power jack on the chair then a Cat5 cable could run from a breakout box behind the computer to the chair to provide the stero sound, mic and USB (there are enough pins if you tie the two ground lines for L and R audio channels together) lines to the chair and then a small cable from an AC-DC adapter for power is something else thats not out of the ordinary to the common or garden gamer.

to keep the cable from going under the chair i was thinking, how about it there is a seperate either desktop or floor standing stand that hold the cable up off the ground so they won't become tangled or go under the wheels such an excellent chair would obviously have. you could even sheath the cables which would make the look even more neat and tidy.

the expensive office chairs and such like that someone referred to earlier i would assume is this stuff Anthro Corporation

the peltier drinks cooler would be nice but it kinda impratical because you need to beef up the power supply system (and eveyone knows how much peltier PSU's are) and also you need to cool the hot side of the peltier which would more likely than not mean fans unless you make the frame of the chair out of an extremely heat conductive metal (of which Gold is the best) and use the frame as a aheat sink, but again that would be expensive and impractical...but i guess you could offer a version with a peltier drinks cooler if the person so wanted and were prepared to have the extra noise and cabling and cost incurred.

i hope at least some of this 'chain-of-thought' bomb helps...

8. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Most gamers want a comfy chair, most likely made out of leather, some people want those ButtShaker things, like force feedback for you butt, high quality speakers, not Linn high obviously, but something like Logitech Z5500's.

9. luvbug

luvbug What's a Dremel?

How about including a floormat? Plug the floormat into a power source, plug the chair into the floormat (out of the center hub of the chair 'stand',) with a retractable cable. That way, the cord moves when the chair does and never gets near the rollers. Please see attached idea image.

[​IMG]

I'd like to also see the chair with a mesh back to allow airflow - maybe something to actively cool either/both the back and seat (fan or whatever, with switches on the armrests for on/off/auto). Maybe not "mesh" per se, just something that breathes well enough to allow an airflow.

Would be nice to include a retractable footrest.... so the feet and legs aren't dangling or in the wrong position for too long. thrombosis you know......lol

USB, bluetooth or IR for wireless headsets/microphones, I don't care how "out of the way" headset cords are... they're always in the way! Definitely a drinkholder - maybe detachable, .................can't think of anything else at the moment, I'll add more later.

luvbug

Last edited: 5 Aug 2006
  10. [<x>] Kiyusoma

[<x>] Kiyusoma Deus Ex Machina

built-in massage!
    reclining action
    wheels that don't grab cables
    adjustable headrest and lumbar support

that's all i got for now

11. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Needs usb. Keyboard tray/mouse tray. Cup holder 2 armrest speakers under mesh 2 rear speaker at your eardrums the standard headphone mic jack. Needs a 1 cable connector for power/sound. Must be either adjustable or preset to balance in the middle of the chair. Needs to look nice. Nothing super modern or retro. Maybe some leather and ducktape around a metal frame. jk. I think mesh unit. And mount a sub woofer right onto the metal pole under the chair for bass and thumb on your rump. I guess. ALso If yo ucould put a pelt. in the arm rest cupholder with heat or cool switch that would be sick. Make ti as light as possible to wheel room to room.

12. GameChairDeveloper

Thanks you guys,
    Definitely all great ideas. I'm gonna look into all of them. Keep the ideas coming, I really want this chair to be perfect.

13. gometro33

gometro33 What's a Dremel?

The ultimate chair would be a Herman Miller with all the fixings suggested above. You really can't get more comfortable than an Aeron Chair.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Second that. I have an Aeron chair and it is heaven. :thumb:

15. wajt

wajt What's a Dremel?

- comfort
    - good specs
    - upgradeable

16. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

I want a comfy char that is NOT leather. I stick to it in this heat. not nice.

17. kbates666

kbates666 What's a Dremel?

Comfort
    Mouse pad built into chair arm
    Customizable keypad
    Easy to use
    Headphone, Mic, usb jacks
    nice sound capability's

To keep it simple I dont think they will be able to have a chair with wheels with any sort of cables going to it. I would be perfectly happy with a non-wheeled version with said features.

Last edited: 5 Aug 2006
  18. Onyx

Onyx What's a Dremel?

bluetooth and a drink holder :thumb:

19. The_Gimpy

The_Gimpy What's a Dremel?

Personaly one of my big beefs with chairs is the armrests. I don't always just use my computer chair for gaming, its nice to sit back and play guitar sometimes by my computer, and the one thing that I always keep my eye open for is moveable arm rests. If they can slide down or out of the way, it gives so much more comfort. And not jsut the armrests, you have to make sure its really adjustable in all the major places. Everyone is different, and long hours can get uncomfortable, make sure it can be adjusted as you slowly slouch more and more while watching google video :D.

20. parag0n

parag0n What's a Dremel?

What i look for in a chair is width, so i can fit my fat ass in it without being uncomfortable.

Tags: