1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a question on the show "spaced"

Discussion in 'General' started by bbigboy101011, 5 Aug 2006.

1. bbigboy101011

bbigboy101011 What's a Dremel?

I was just wondering, would it be illegal for me(from America) to download the show "spaced"?

i looked and the most i could find is that Bravo channel has US broadcast right, other than that nothing. To be safe i searched for "spaced" dvds, but they were all region 2(i'm region 1).

so does anyone know if it's legal for me to download the show?

Last edited: 5 Aug 2006
  2. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Since it is available on DVD. I reckon it is not legal. Don't you have a region-free DVD player?? .. I didn't knew anybody still cared for these 'regions'.. all modern DVD players are region-free. (at least they are here)

L

3. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

I always find this to be a grey area as far as i'm concerned, as if a friend had recorded it from tv then made a copy of it for me, no one (myself included) would bat an eyelid, but as soon as downloading is involved, people start getting twitchy and throw words like 'illegal' and 'stealing' around, but technically the two situations are one and the same.

If you record somthing off tv (in england, not sure about US law) only you are allowed to watch it and you have to destroy it in 2 weeks (might be wrong on the time, but it's something like that) but no one obeys this, infact very few people know, where as downloading always has a lot of propoganda surrounding it.

The way I see it, if there's no other way to see the show, then download, just be sure to buy it when it's out on region 1.

My appologies if this post is in breach of forum rules....

Matt

4. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

"If you record somthing off tv (in england, not sure about US law) only you are allowed to watch it and you have to destroy it in 2 weeks"

Oops..

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Lack of availability doesn't change the legal status of pirating material, at least not in the UK.

I know what Jeebus would do though.

6. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

I believe it would be illegal to download it. Just go buy it and play it on a region free dvd player or watch it on your pc.

7. Shuriken

I don't think any one was saying that, we're all in agreement it's definalty illegal, but I feel if it's a case of downloading or not being able to watch it at all then download, I don't know much about region free DVD payers, but I know my copy of power DVD will only allow me to change regions 5 times, so if the OP were to buy it region 2 they'd only be able to watch it 5 times :wallbash:

8. bbigboy101011

i see what you guys are saying, but the best i can tell on these laws is if i download it i would be comiting a crime against the owner of distribution rights in the area I am in, from what i can tell no one owns the US distribution rights to "spaced" meaning there wouldn't be anyone to commit a crime agianst. The closest anology to this is a fansub of a show or movie, a fansub is legal as long as the movie or show is not licensed in the area of the downloader.

9. padair

padair Inebriated

Just because you can't tell who owns teh US rights to the show is not a reason to illegally download it.
    As the production company was Paramount UK productions (aka Paramount Comedy Channel) which is part owned by Viacom and News Corp (Uncle Rupert), both of which are US based, I'd think twice before pirating it.

10. bbigboy101011

crap

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You can probably buy it from PlayUSA, or import it from Play or Amazon.

12. bbigboy101011

you're right, it's only $10 so i'll just buy it

13. Shuriken

A good option would be to buy the region 2 version, and if you can't play it on your DVD player/PC then just download it, as you've actually paid for it.

Matt

14. mushky

mushky gimme snails

:D spaced :D

15. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Twiglets make me Violent :D

16. mrpete

mrpete What's a Dremel?

technically it would be illegal.

17. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest