1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Widescreen Projector, update: DEC 12 - 2006

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Gnu, 26 Apr 2006.

1. kbates666

kbates666 What's a Dremel?

If you mean the VGA connector then that can be found at any local radio shack or any electronic parts store.

2. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

What do you mean with vga setup?. If you mean the VGA connector It is called "D-sub 15-pin connector" And as kbates666 says, it can be found at any local radio shack or any electronic parts store. But the connector I'm using , comes from the VGA kable that came with the screen. I cut away the surrounding plastic of the cable and attached the connector to the case. If you can't find any place to buy the connector you could always use a VGA extension cable and cut it out like i did.

Was gona post a new update today but I forgot my digicam in the workshop :wallbash: .... and it's a 30min walk to get there. So it will have to whait fo tomorrow.

/GNU

3. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

This is what I have been doing lately..

This is the buttons for the tft controlls. Its a 7mm steel rod from an old printer.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

After putting them in the drillpress and smothing them with a file and 80-120-240-800grit sandpaper. They look like this. The surface is so reflective it was hard to get a good capture of the true look. They look dirty but they are not.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Backside
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Stole some pens from my mum and took the springs out
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

When pushing the buttons, the springs will push the buttons back. I can adjust the buttons to be even with the front surface later, by screwing the M3 screws in or out. The electronical parts of the buttons will be added in the end.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Mounting plate on the backside of the front panel.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Buttons mounted.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

To get the holes for the buttons lined up correctly I taped this PCB card to the plastic front and drilled every 7th hole using a 1mm drill.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

The holes where perfectly aligned. Here I have used a 3 mm drill to enlarge the holes a little bit to get a better aim with the drillpress when heading on to the big 12mm and the 7 mm drills.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Here is a sneek peak of the front. Still need to fabricate the 12mm main power button. But so far, I am more than satisfied.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

On with the zoom mechanism.

This was the first method i was working on.. I spent alot of hard work trying to get the design to work, but it was to hard. Hardest part was to get the holes in the plastic to align perfect with the metal rods. IN the end..it turned out very wiggly or it was totaly jamed. I don't want to think about how many hours I have wasted on the zoom mechanism design, but I'm shure its more than 25hours of head scratching.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

I have seen people use these type of sliding rails in other projectors but I didn't think they would work any good. They look so wiggly and unstable. But when I found one of these laying around in a shop nearby it blew my mind. It was just the perfect thing, very firm and stable in the sliding. How could I bee so stupid to doubt on these things.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

... the lengt I need
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

The new triplet lens holder...
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

..with both of the triplet spacers I fabricated earlier
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Attaching the sliding part to the bottom of the lens holder..
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

...and the sliding part and the rail together. The zoom mechanism is done and it slides great and is very stable.. [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)
    Now I need to attach it to the case bottom...but that's another story ;)

/GNU

4. kbates666

Nice Zoom, I also would have thought that the rails were unstable but obviously I was wrong.

Nice work

5. xpc

xpc What's a Dremel?

nice work!!

[​IMG]

did you really made all this small holes? nah. :eeek: :eeek: :eeek:

6. smartdude24

smartdude24 What's a Dremel?

7. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

no thats protoboard, so all those holes are pre drilled, if you read what he said - he says he used it as a guide :)

8. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

that is freaking awsome i love this project

9. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

I need some advise on the finishing touches of the buttons. I am thinking of using my sandblaster tool to create symbols on each button.
    These are the symbols I'm thinking of:

[​IMG]
    POWER -------- MENU -------- LEFT -------- RIGHT

I made a test, with one spare button I had laying around. It's hard to show on the photo but the symbol has very sharp edges and it's sandblasted into the surface and will not come of.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Don't care about the surrounding material. It was just an alu rod with a hole in that the button fitted nicely in.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

This is how they look at the moment. Simple and clean without any symbols.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

What do you think....???
    With the symbols or without??

Please post what you think.....

/GNU

10. smartdude24

Personally, I think the symbols add a nice touch to the already beautiful buttons. I really like the look

11. GT40_GearHead

GT40_GearHead What's a Dremel?

without, it looks so clean, and original, the symbols can be seen on every amp or cd-player, electronical stuff, this clean and it runs in with the brushed aluminium, if you sand them it ruin the balance

12. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

I think just having the symbols on there with nothing else would look pretty slick.

13. wahoomcdaniel

wahoomcdaniel Minimodder

I vote for no symbols on the buttons. Why not try a mock up of symbols on the black plate?

14. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

i probably would put some simple, black symbols on the buttons, otherwise no-one except you will understand the projector

small pics can be very subtle

15. davidbacsik

davidbacsik What's a Dremel?

I like the sandblasted, simple symbols. They add a simple elegance, and don't look cheesy or stock at all in the very classy and well crafted way you plan to install them. I disagree with the idea of symbols on the backplate, as I think it would kill the brused alluminum look (sorry wahoom, it was a nifty thought, I just don't think it quite fits iwth this mod).

Oh, and I would do something slightly different for power, as that's also the record symbol. I think the I/O symbol would be too complex,and kill the simplicity though. What about a square diamond? or some other simple shape. an upward pointing triagle?

16. luvbug

luvbug What's a Dremel?

The buttons will rotate from use, I'd put the symbols on the backplate.

17. kbates666

Yeah maybe something like this

[​IMG]

18. davidbacsik

davidbacsik What's a Dremel?

The traditional power button stems from 1 + 0, binary representation of on and off.

19. zachjowi

zachjowi What's a Dremel?

hey OP I have been following this pretty closely but what do I need to make my own like yours since I already have a MAG 15" LCD monitor. Can I just get a cheap overhead projector and use those parts? I was also wondering what 3d software did you use? Thanks

20. smartdude24

zach... go to lumenlab.com and you will find the answer to all your questions.