1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conroe Overclocking...hit a wall

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Delgado, 7 Aug 2006.

1. Delgado

Delgado What's a Dremel?

Hi,

This is the system which is nearing completion here

Specs are:
    e6600 Conroe
    Connect3D X1800XT
    Gigabyte GA_965P_DS3
    2GB Gskill DDR2 HZ PC2-6400
    Samsung SATA 160GB
    Samsung PATA 120GB
    Enermax Noisetaker 600W

It's running stable at the moment at 300x9, but I've discovered if I try much higher than that it's either very wobbly or freezes which is a bit dissapointing as I was hoping for nearer to 400fsb :blah:

These are the things I've done/ checked so far:
    1/ Upped the vdimm and increased the CAS to 4 as this a problem with the DS3 board, as it sets these too low by default.
    2/ All voltages are ok.
    3/ CPU temp never goes above 30 under full load so that shouldn't be the issue.
    4/ Running BIOS F4
    5/ I haven't tried increasing many other voltages as yet, at this speed I don't really think I should have to looking at other people's results with the same hardware.
    6/ The only thing that really stands out is the passive NB heatsink, it's hot....really hot. I'll try with a fan over it, but again there's been plenty of reports of this and people are still getting much higher fsbs without actively cooling it.

I'm a bit confused really, I'm stuck at 2.7ghz and I'm not sure why. It's literally twice the speed of my Winchester 3200+, but call me greedy, i was hoping for 3Ghz really at least :sigh:

Anybody have any ideas about what I might have missed?

Cheers

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Try nudging the core voltage up, maybe just try burning the CPU in at that speed for a few days? It could just need a while to burn in tbh.

Try lowering the multiplier and reaching max FSB as well - that'll tell you if you've reached the chip's max or the RAM's max. :)

Don't forget that you could just get a badly-clocking chip. There's no guarantees with these things. Do be sure you're not looking at results exclusively from people who've got Engineering Sample chips - made from the best silicon. :)

3. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Have you got an option to disable hyper path 3? Give that a shot and see what happens :)

4. Delgado

Delgado What's a Dremel?

yeah, I know these things are never a sure thing, but it isn't just ES chips that are getting quite a lot higher, between 350 and 400 seems to be about average for practically all the retail chips from what I've seen, and over 400 is pretty common too - so when I can only get to about 300 stable it seems to suggest I have either a really poor chip or I'm missing something :blah:

I'll try lowering the multi to see, the RAM should be fine up to 400 as that's its stock speed so it's actually underclocked at the minute. Thanks for the advice :)

Highland3r, I don't think I've seen that option in the BIOS but I'll check again. Spot the AMD boy who's found himself in the Intel pool and has forgotten how to swim :p

Edit: Not stability tested it yet but lowering the multi does seem to have helped...
    [​IMG]
    I also noticed the board is playing up again and has reset the CAS to 3 when it ought to be 4/5.

Last edited: 7 Aug 2006
  5. Delgado

Delgado What's a Dremel?

Lowering the multi has definitely helped :D

[​IMG]

It's odd really, I do remember now reading somewhere that people were struggling using the 9 multi, so maybe there is some truth in it... before I could only get 300x9=2700mhz, but it would flake out if the fsb was any higher. Obviously lowering the multi lowered the overall speed so you could say that would give a bit more fsb leeway up until the point it was again 2700mhz if it was the CPU topping out - but as you can see from the above it's already gone 300mhz beyond that and is showing no signs at all of slowing down, I've been playing X3 at this speed for the last three hours. I'll be priming it tonight, but i'm confident it'll pass. It must be, at least in my case, something iffy about the way the CPU and mobo run together at 9 multi? I'll keep upping it tomorrow and see how far it goes :)

Last edited: 8 Aug 2006
  6. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Damn, thats some nice clocks, keep going ! :thumb:

7. findme

findme What's a Dremel?

eh 3.0 ghz.. i love the whole numbers.

very nice oc. i wonder how much can you oc a e6400...

8. Delgado

Delgado What's a Dremel?

I'm sure this thing is trying to wind me up....apparently if it's a Tuesday the 9 multi works fine at higher fsbs :duh:

[​IMG]

As you can see it needed a tiny nudge up on the vcore to run stable but nothing at all drastic.

I primed 375x8 last night and it was still running no errors till about half an hour ago when I stopped it, so at least I know I have that setting to fall back on as I continue the experiments :)

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

if you've got the cooling, 1.5v should be fine :)

10. Delgado

Delgado What's a Dremel?

Yep, it's watercooled and at this speed is hitting 32 degrees full load. But I'm always a bit nervous upping the voltage on chips that still feel 'new', it's once I start taking them for granted they're really in trouble :naughty:
    I'll prime it at this speed first and see what improvements I can make later. I quickly tried 9x390 but it bombed in windows, so it probably needs a bit more vcore.

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Be a bit more delicate with the FSB tbh - jumping 15Mhz at a time seems a bit rash... :p

Nice clocks though, keep burning her in and she'll go far. :D

12. Delgado

Delgado What's a Dremel?

I'm going up in 5mhz increments, I just didn't think people would really want to see 'Whoo another 5mhz!' so I'm only posting significant progress :) (Oh I see what you meant now, yeah I booted with 380 and 385 in between :D )

Edit: Had the CAS at 5 but dropped it to 4 (still at 375x9), it took a whole second off super-pi which surprised me, i was expecting half a second tops really.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Aug 2006
  13. Delgado

Delgado What's a Dremel?

It would seem I didn't get one of the 'good' DS3s :blah:
    I've tried every setting and every voltage, but can't get over 375 fsb. It's prime stable at this speed with all voltages at stock, but it won't go any higher at all no matter what I change so I think I've hit the fsb wall of this board.