1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mk.6 EMP -Experimental Modular Project-

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Captain Slug, 20 Jun 2005.

1. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

The drive cages are done
    [​IMG]
    These are the optional spring-loaded retention clips. The set screws match upto and insert into the drive mounting holes which keeps the drive in the correct position. The drives are supported from underneath by clear L-brackets seen in the previous image. This setup allows me to simply slide the drive into the bay and it locks itself in place. But I still have the option of mounting drives with screws.
    [​IMG]
    The pump bracket lines up perfectly.
    [​IMG]
    And I swapped out the Panaflo fans for some trusty old Delta WFB1212M. It's the one fan I would recommend unconditionally. The whole WFB series is just awesome but these in particular, despite being absurdly cheap in surplus at $4 each, produce NO motor noise and are very difficult to hear even though they output 75CFM at full speed.

2. Yumadil

Yumadil What's a Dremel?

wow, just wow, your doing an incredible job with such attention to detail. Are you going to keep the same checkerboard/grill theme for the front of the case?

and when will we get to see the fast change connectors that were mentioned in the beginning?

keep up the great work!

3. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

Excellent as ever Captain!

5 Stars & Subscribed :)

4. customh

customh conflagration.

Yeah, i always forget to rate, even though most dont look at it...grrrrreat!!!

5. Captain Slug

1. All of the drives and bay units are going to have stealthing covers made from a thin layer of aluminum underneath some heavy black tint polycarbonate.
    2. The plug-bus is still going to be made. Just have to get around to it.

6. leviathan18

leviathan18 What's a Dremel?

CTP congrats on you case i missed this project but now im subscribed nice work you have done here

7. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Really coming together now Capt..
    very-nice..

8. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

9. Captain Slug

Now at the halfway point in this project (not in a time-span sense but in terms of work completed). And that means it was time to clean up the gargantuan mess that the first half of the project completed. Took me 3 or 4 hours to clean up my 3 seperate work areas but my sanity is much relieved now that everything is back in an orderly state.
    Next item on my agenda is the plug-bus, which I've been having trouble getting started on because I've been so busy at work.

Something like a real update to come soon.

Jaydee finished a comparative test between the nozzle top and the one without them.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 18 Aug 2006
  10. modsquad

You would have a heart attack if you viewed my work area..
    I don't call it the SlaughterHouse for nothing.. :hehe:
    BUt-seriously, looking forward to your next update Capt..
    This is "getting-good".......

Last edited: 19 Aug 2006
  11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

can you please post more pictures of the drive load mechanism? it is very interesting.

i mean... the hole case is awsome, how are you going to suport the hard drives? with the same mechanism as the optical drives?

12. Captain Slug

Well, not all of my work areas are clean. The ping pong table where I do assembly, testing, soldering, glueing, and raw cutting is what I needed to clean up the most because it was affecting my sanity.
    [​IMG]
    Then there's the hidey-hole where I do detail cutting and sanding. It just stays messy until I can't move in there anymore. It's the one place I can leave a mess and nobody cares because I'm the only person that can manage to get in there.
    [​IMG]
    And in my bedroom I have a small table I use for assembling delicate or small things that I don't want anyone to mess with should I only make it halfway through.
    [​IMG]
    And for more complicated machining I go to the machine shop to work with their Bridgeport Manual Knee Mill, Machine Bench Lathe, and 6-foot Bandsaw.
    To make my drive-clip system you just make a regular drive cage, but add a few threaded holes for the spring-loaded clips to attach to. Then add L-channel pieces (or whatever means you can think of to add shelf lips) for the drives to be supported while you slide them into place until they get locked down by the spring-loaded clips.
    [​IMG]
    Those will allow you to move the brackets in 1/4-inch increments and remove them if you want to use screws to solidly mount the drives.
    The hard drives are going in these huge passive heatsink aluminum bay adapters in the top two slots.
    [​IMG]
    I was really busy at work this week so I haven't accomplished much since the last update. And today I'm spending most of the day helping a friend I haven't seen in over 3 years cut some sizable holes in his brand new case.

Last edited: 19 Aug 2006
  13. ssR

ssR Carbon God

looking sweet so far, waiting for more updates

14. JAxen

JAxen What's a Dremel?

Boi-oi-ong-ng

15. Captain Slug

Project is stalled until my body will cooperate with me. After a 6 months of trials I still haven't found any medication that alleviates my arthritis symptoms. Which is unfortunate because this is the worst time of year for me due to the frequency of barometric pressure frot changes.
    Classes also start up again this week.

16. modsquad

That is a shame Capt..
    Have you tried Alcohol, it does-wonders for me..
    JUst-kidding..
    Take your time, do what U have to do..we will be waiting... :thumb:

17. customh

customh conflagration.

yes, MS we shall....

18. Captain Slug

19. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Grats!!!

20. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude