1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News iTunes to soon allow DVD burns

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 11 Aug 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

How exactly is a computer going to see this as "un-rippable" exactly? The only way that can happen is by ensuring the computer can't read the disc surely?

3. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I'm surprised at this, given that CSS was smashed wide open yeeeeeears ago by "DVD Jon". I'm sure there's hardly a user on this forum that hasn't heard of DeCSS, as applied in DVD Decrypter.

This is a good move, however. The burned discs will be as 'secure' as store-bought DVDs, and *should* be playable on any standard DVD player, unlike the current 'burn your own' systems, which seem to try to protect content by introducing deliberate errors which push a DVD player's error correction algorythms to the extreme, which are unplayable on many DVD players, and which are damaged beyond use by tiny scratches, which defeats the whole point of error correction in the first place!

4. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Just remember, mclean007 - DRM is not there to actually prevent piracy, it's just there to confuse the casual dude who wants to let his brother watch his favorite movie.

5. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

i predict this will be a failure

it will end up that a whole load of DVD players wont be able to play the disc beacause of this, and it will be hacked anyway ...

6. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

it's already been cracked. DVD dycrpter can rip all current dvd's and for the new dvds to be playable in current players then they can't introduce any new protections.

7. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

This isnt a current DVD tech though ....

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

it will be hacked, cracked, sliced, diced, and roled in onions within 1 week.

9. Nezuji

Nezuji What's a Dremel?

One word: Macrovision.

Nezuji :)

10. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

Move over Blu-Ray and HD-DVD... we have a new King of Failed Formats. :)

I can just imagine this scenario: some random person hears that "that thar iTunes can burninate me some DVDs", so he runs out to buy a 10-pack, comes back, pops a disc into his drive, and is rewarded by iTunes telling him he bought the wrong kind of DVD. "What? But this is a DVD! I asked specifically for DVDs at the store!"

Ahem. Not Shakespeare, I'll give you that, but it's the best I can do right now.

Tags: Add Tags