1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abominable Chenming

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Son1990, 12 Aug 2006.

1. Son1990

Son1990 What's a Dremel?

Gonna post the log here too cause at least maybe I'll get some critisism and help :rock:

Link to old thread: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=440889

I had the other thread close because it lacked updates and was so old. I started up on the project again since then and have a good case plan/layout in my head and I feel this will turn out to be a good final mod. I also got a new camera, a 350D, which im quite happy about and feel is a good investment. I not only will be using it for my projects but for many other things such as sports and scenic shot's. The school year is quickley approaching and with two more trips, I will be taking, coming up soon, I need to get this done before my sophmore year of High School starts :bang head:

The case:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a concept picture of the front bezel (Thanks Slug):

[​IMG]

Basically the main idea is to flip the case upside down. A little wacky but here are pics of the case flipped.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hardware list:
    *will be complete near end of project

2. Son1990

Son1990 What's a Dremel?

First update:

Decided to remove the "support" bar which, irronically, after testing, didn't really support much to make a diffrence. I removed to to make room for at the time, what I thought would be a mount for the radiator, but will turn out to be both a mount for the suspended/silenced hard drive rack and the pump.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More updates to come

3. Son1990

Son1990 What's a Dremel?

Been workin this half the day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im pretty sure this is what the final product will look like. If not there will only be slight diffrences. The only thing missing from these is the base that was made in the update above.

I finnaly came up with the design for the shroud which will attach to the front of the case and support the rad inside. I still need to draw that up and when thats drawn, it will be posted. Waiting on a few tools and supplys to get in, made an order to mcmaster and mouser.

4. Son1990

Son1990 What's a Dremel?

Here is the final design for the rad mount. The finned area will mount to the front, inside, of the case as seen in the above models.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just waiting on my heat gun to come from mcmaster and we can get started on it.

5. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

Looking good :dremel:

One question, from the designs it looks like you are mounting the optical drives at the botom of the case, which was formerly the top? so I assume you have to turn them up the other way, will they still mount in the holes, it wont create clearence issues or mounting issues?

6. Son1990

Son1990 What's a Dremel?

They will mount the same way. I will be making an entirely new bezel so there will be no such problems.

7. Son1990

Son1990 What's a Dremel?

Any idea's or suggestions?

8. Son1990

Son1990 What's a Dremel?

Just decided to show you how the rad will be mounted with the new design:

[​IMG]

Been doin all these models in preperation for when my orders arrive from the varying suppliers, not much I can do in the mean time except cut out fan grills and all of the front bezel to be ready for some bondo work and a face lift:)

9. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

what do you make these 3d models in? there's quite a bit of z-fighting there... that ain't right :rolleyes:

10. Son1990

Son1990 What's a Dremel?

Milkshape 3D. Im not sure what you mean in your second sentance.

11. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

More importantly is it free?

12. Son1990

Son1990 What's a Dremel?

It has a 13 day, or so, free trial and then its a small fee of about $15.

13. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

You have some duplicated faces or unwelded verteces which is why the shading is funny.

Last edited: 14 Aug 2006
  14. Son1990

Son1990 What's a Dremel?

I need everyone's oppinion on what rad mount/shroud they like better. I really would like at least 3 people to decide which one they like better. The choices are either the one above this post or the one in this post. Simply reply with 1 (for the first mount) or 2 (for the second mount).

[​IMG]

This mount is a little diffrent because it will be an actual shroud. The radiator will go inside and the fan's will be on the exterior.

15. Son1990

Son1990 What's a Dremel?

Kinda upset my mom threw out the small box of button head screw's but that's ok. Here is "mockup" of the rad and shroud. There will be diffrent screws and diffrent fan's (delta's of course). Now all I need to do is make the back plate for the rad to mount to the case and this will be completed and I can move on to other part's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

nice shroud :)

(back off-topic :p why don't jou just use Google Sketch-Up? That's just completely free and you don't need any skills to use it)

17. Son1990

Son1990 What's a Dremel?

Never heard of it, gonna take a look at it now but why not learn to use the ok softwere so you become better and can one day use AutoCad and the likes.

18. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

AutoCad Pwns and is uber usefull. That will drive a career knowing autocad. To bad its like what a few hundred dollars?

19. stevehp

stevehp What's a Dremel?

Try more like eight hundred, but that's after an educator discount without it's a little more than 1100-1200USD.

20. Son1990

Son1990 What's a Dremel?

Exactly what im sayin bro :rock: