1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

phone drowned :( advice please

Discussion in 'General' started by finboz, 16 Aug 2006.

1. finboz

finboz What's a Dremel?

ok so my k700i mysteriously got really wet (wife was washing her car at the time) and died, but as its under a year old i was going to try and return it as faulty, does anyone know if they have water indicators in them or any other general advice to make my claim go successfully :worried:

2. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Minimodder

Had a friend in a simliar situation, her phone dropped in the toilet haha.

Most phones have a white indicator on the battery that will turn pink/red when in contact with water. Bleach will clean that up and restore it to white. I would have a look at the phone itself and see what's up with it. On that back part (where the battery goes) there is sometimes one of those white/red indicators, just bleach that one as well. I would take off every cover and part you can and just give it a visual look over. We bleached that friend's phone and everything went through a ok.

Also - have you tried just letting it sit out in the sun to dry out? I took a dirty pc (long story) to the car wash and blasted the crap outta it, and let it dry for 3 days and it's 100% fine

3. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

yeh, take it apart as much as possible and let it dry out. It should work after that.

4. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

search google. There was a story on digg a while back that you can pop that battery out and put the phone in the oven at about 125 degrees for 5 hours and it should work again. I did it on my phone when I dropped in in a pool earlier this summer at a theme park and it worked again... but then my sister got hers wet when she was getting ice out of an ice machine and it didnt work for that.. something inside had to have shorted out becuase it will turn on but the backlight no longer works and it cant get past a funky loading screen. If you drop it in something that has more than just plain water i would make sure to pop the battery and rinse the phone with clean water so that the salt or soap doesnt destroy the circuits and contacts.

edit:

some phones like the razr have a holographic sticker on the battery and phone that turns purple if it is in contact with water.

5. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

in the oven for 20 mins on low heat. Remove the battery first (and sim) and open it up as much as possible. Then just leave it somewhere toasty waaam for a week or so.

If u didn't try and turn it on after it got wet you should find it will work again.

edit! U got there first...

6. finboz

finboz What's a Dremel?

7. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

I washed mine. Bounced around in the washing machine for 45 minutes. Let it dry, works perfect (got a little scratched though).

8. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

Prehaet oven to 400 degrees. Rub the phone
    with drops of lemon juice and sprinkle lightly with
    salt and pepper. Heat butter in a casserole dish
    until foaming. Quickly roll the phone in the
    butter, lay a round of waxed paper to fit the
    casserole on top of them and place in a hot oven.
    After 6 minutes, press tops of the phone with your
    finger; if it is still soft and squashy, return to
    oven for a mnute or two more. It is done when it
    feels lightly springy and resilent; do not overcook.
    Remove casserole from oven, put phone in a hot
    serving dish; cover and keep warm while making hte
    sauce which will take 2 to 3 minutes. To make sauce:
    Turn a burner to high and pour the stock or bouillon
    and the wine into the casserole with the hot butter.
    Stiring the liquid constantly, boil down rapidly over
    high heat until lightly thickened. Season carefully
    with salt, pepper, and drops of lemon juice. Pour the
    sauce over the phone, sprinkle with parsley and
    serve immediately

9. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

do you have a micro-wave version of that?

10. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Put it in the recovery position.

11. Ozric

Ozric What's a Dremel?

My present job at the moment is to "Officially" repair Sony Ericsson phones, If the little red sticker at the bottom of the phone is Red (and not white), and the phone does not power up at all, chances are it will not be repairable.

You could open it up (avoids warranty) then look at system connector, and open up the cans that protect the ICs and use some alcohol and a small brush to clean the liquid ingress, but chances are it will still not work.

It is what we refer to as BER and will be chargeable to get your BER phone back if you sent it in.

Sorry mate.

Ozric