1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Rant?

Discussion in 'Software' started by DreamTheEndless, 8 Aug 2006.

1. sk8ter646

sk8ter646 Minimodder

the comparason that works best i think is Skoda and VW as they are now basically the same cars on the inside but the outside is alot better

2. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

It won't throw a bluescreen, but it'd throw a kernal panic!

True, Macs are "meant" for professionals, but how do you explain iMacs, Mac minis, and Macbooks? If those weren't targeted at grandpa, or the rest of use consumers, I don't know what is. With that Final Cut Pro thing, I'd like to see a Mac mini play FCP. With your comment about a Celeron Dell taking on FCP, that's the same as trying to run 3DS Max on a Mac mini.

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

A Mac Mini can take on quite a bit... it's got a pretty decent chip in there. It's all cute and tiny, but it packs quite a bit of punch. I'd be surprised if it doesn't have the world record of performance/cm^3, at least among consumer-grade stuff. It'll certainly kick the crap out of any Celeron system out there. As for FCP - I was under the impression that it's mostly CPU-based (could well be wrong there, but a lot of video type work won't use a GPU at all), so a Mini would be just as fast as a MBP.

You're right, those systems are not aimed at pros, but they're not intended to be a budget machine by any stretch of the imagination, nor do they perform as one. My tiny little EPIA system is probably 3-4x the size of a Mini, costs almost as much, and has a miserably slow VIA 1GHz chip in it (which is quite acceptable for office type work, but even the pretty little bouncing and waving effects of OS X would drag it down to nothingness).

4. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

everyone i know with macs get them from work for free otherwise they wouldnt buy one :hehe: and i swear dell and companys like that also sell core duo systems so again compairing somthing with low specs that we all know isnt as good as somthing with much higher specs(and a much higher price tag) seems alittle silly to me.

"my ferrari can get to 200mph! and your ford focus can only get to 80mph!" kinda thing.

my laptop is a cele and ive used it to compile an animation out of 200+ digi cam shots at full res(lame cam cant change the res) and it took awhile but with freeram pro thingy on it, it didnt run out of ram and just say sorry im too stupid to do this then crash.

macs are nice i think most will agree but to me they are marketed as the trendy laptop to own if your an artist or trendy city guy with millions for your loft apartment in the center.
    all the people i know who have considered buying/bought macs have decided to soley cos its a mac and because of that cool trendy image they link to owning a mac, when the reality is they will use it for alittle photoshop maybe but mostly word and the internet.

i gotta go now tho so i will prob post more later or somthing :p

5. tacticus

tacticus What's a Dremel?

hrrm i got my macbook recently quite stoked with it
    on the price issue its very close to the price of a dell for the same specs the size was a requirement for me

on the os issue not a big thing for me as i dont have many apps on my laptops that need windows
    if any

the biggest reason i bought it

every toshiba i have worked with was built like ****
    same with every sony
    same with all the compaqs in that price range bar evos
    asus, dell, benq all suffer the same issue

the other issue was warranty
    considering i know most of the people who do laptop repairs in this town i hesitate to get anything touched by those guys :|

small towns suck

6. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Minimodder

Cost issue wise I'm 100% with everyone that's said they cost more but there is kind of a difference in the fact they don't necessarily run the same software etc.

I think Dell's got some amazing deals, hell even a Walmart had a $400 machine that wasn't bad at all. I think comparitively though with PC's you usually expect to upgrade them every couple years, like at my office, we roll out new ones every 3 years to get the latest and greatest. Macs however tend to be more compatible and still run decent for a period of time. I've got a 450mhz G4 that still runs awesome where compared to a 500mhz pc the pc is complete crap. I think that's definitely an issue with the two. PC you upgrade much more frequently than you would a mac.

At my office we're Dell computers which if treated well run just fine. Save for a few ones we've had with bad mother boards or failed hard drives they're running awesome. I don't think the build quality is any better on a Mac than a Dell persay, I've had some dells come (Gx620's) with amazing quality, wire management (zip ties) everything looked really nice in them. So that I disagree with on tacticus's remarks. Compaqs home users I dunno about but we've got several Proliant servers with really nice build quality on them as well.

When I purchased a laptop for college, and I checked it out the Powerbook was like $600 more than the Sager I eventually got and I don't regret that at all :)

Tags: