1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Racing Shifter Home-made;21aug, updated 23 August

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by DjLECTRix, 21 Aug 2006.

1. DjLECTRix

DjLECTRix What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone,

My project is a Racing shifter with 5 speed and 1 backfoward i like to play some racing simulator and a lot of simulator can able to use a real shifter i've already seen the Act-Labs RS Shifter. but a lot of money for that.. and i can build one for my simulator. and i'm tired to use the wheel shifter.. or shifter like High LOW lol for shifting. anyway my project are not completed yet its why i log it here. sorry for my english are not the best lol.

Here i begin the work with a old joystick system, with a wood stick and a real racing shifter
    [​IMG]

another one picture of the joystick system
    [​IMG]

now i need to build a system for i can swap my shifter and the wood case for the system.

for moment its just this part are done. :p i know i have a lot of work for this project but its cool. tell me yours comments about my project or questions..

Last edited: 24 Aug 2006
  2. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

keep up the work dj, I wish there were more of these around. If yours is easy to build this log could be real useful :)

3. DjLECTRix

I think yes b'cause i'm sure someone wanna know how to build one... the act-labs i never seen the pcb or the interior of this nice shifter but im not sure anyone wanna pay more than 150$ usd just for a shifter. but my idea will maybe help some to own a home-made shifter and sometimes. the home-made product ;) are very great and quality. i hope my own will be nice tomorrow i will purshase my "micro Switch" for begin to build the system for the shifter :D

4. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

A simple setup of switches and a little elctronics knowledge could do it. Place limit type switchs with the metal springs for damage prevention and just line them up with every spot R 1-5. Simple and with a little bit of ability to trasnform the signal from 6 switches to a readable input you could do it. Cheaply too.

5. DjLECTRix

My idea to explain how my shifter will work with micro Switch :p that's not the best ive seen but i think i will get a quality of shifting anyway i will begin with this try and if work bad i will try another system for create it.

sorry for this bad design but tomorrow i will get my electronics parts for begin my project :D

[​IMG]

6. DjLECTRix

hydro_electric_655
    Nice idea but for the signal i have already the Pcb of the Logitech Attack III joystick ... i think i can take some controls of buttons for my shifter.. or other way with the old game port under a pci soundcard that's not hard to build it anyway i have seen another way to build the contact btw the wood stick and the wood plate if i put a metal part on my woodstick and will touch the metal for shift 1 to 5 and Backfoward.. thats another way to try this..

thanks for ur ideas guys and comments.

7. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Actually the microswitchs that you posted was my idea exactly. The thing to think about is getting reistance on the shifter. Maybe springs

8. DjLECTRix

ahh i see but i have buy another switchs without metals. b'cause theses micro switchs here are more expencive i've think. :/ but i have another idea i will post it tonight when i will build a part of my shifter hehe :D i work on it now and i will takes somes good pictures :)

9. DjLECTRix

New Update sorry for the quality of the images i will take theses in good quality tomorrow b'cause now my battery are dead :( and at this times stores are closed. anyway take a look of my shifting system

[​IMG]
    the micro push button with the universal PCB (Printed Circuit Board)

[​IMG]
    Shifting System Installed on the wood plate

[​IMG]

Small Video of the shifter