1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Explorer 7 v FireFox 2.0

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 22 Aug 2006.

1. nemesis80

nemesis80 What's a Dremel?

hmmmm, sauce :D

2. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

i really dont like the cluttered look of IE7 at all. im very much so a minimalist. everything i need nothing i dont when it comest to my browser. everything on my browser (FireFox) is on one line, not having the tabs open by default is nice. it just takes more away from the viewable space. as far as the spell check not working, ive never had a problem with it.

what about the recovery feature of firefox and that it is still a beta. im kinda a fanboy just because IE6 and before were that bad. i was never a fan of mozilla or netscape. but i did cross over when they released phoenix though, then firefox after that. ive concidered opera, but if it aint broke dont fix it

3. Renoir

Renoir What's a Dremel?

Tbh I haven't looked into add ons for IE because FF has just the ones I want. Looking back at my post I realise I hastily wrote it without mentioning that I also appreciate the added security (I don't seem to get any spyware anymore where as I did with IE6) FF brings. I guess we'll have to see how secure IE7 is when it's been out in the wild for a while.

I'd like to echo the points made about how if it's not broke don't fix it. With that in mind I think it's gonna require something quite compelling for me to switch away from FF.

4. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

I've been using IE7 at work since the first beta (Still FF at home though). I have to say, it was a bit of a change getting used to the new layout, but I have to say. I am very pleased with this new version. Once I got used to the new layout of everything, I think I have to say that I might switch back to IE at home too, once the final release is finished.

One thing I do have to mention about IE7 though. The memory consumption is way higher than in previous versions. At times I saw it using somewhere around 300MB of active memory, and 200MB of swap space. This was with Beta 2 though. Since I've installed Beta 3, the memory management seems to be much better.

As for the people who miss the old style menus, I believe that you can configure the browser to show them....or for the one time selection, hit ALT.

5. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

can i scroll through tabs with the mouse wheel in ie7? if not i dont care how much better it is than firefox, im not using it :p

i also am a fan of the "no tab bar with 1 page open", i have the close tab button on the tab itself turned off too

6. An0nymouse

An0nymouse What's a Dremel?

Ahaha hah haha hah <whipes tear> hah
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

Go FF for standards compliance! :rock:

7. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Meh, I don't see any useful features that Opera hasn't had for ages. It'll take a lot for me to change from Opera as my prefered browser.

8. [Jonny]

[Jonny] What's a Dremel?

Atleast get the latest version of Firefox maybe?

[​IMG]
    There is the new theme. (which they seem to change with each nightly :p) You should also note that you are viewing IE7 in Vista, it looks bloody awful everywhere else. (IMO) One of the reasons the Firefox people are going to MS (it's a trap!) is because they want to make Firefox look good in Vista.

Links that open in a new window open in a new tab by default in Firefox, and you can also add a "New Tab" button if you so feel like it.

[​IMG]

It's also in 1.5 and earlier if you look.

It's called OpenSearch, and yes it's also supported in Firefox 2.0, along with microsummaries.

[​IMG]

Maybe you're not l33t enough? :yawn: But seriously, you should probably get the latest beta. :p
    [​IMG]

There are also a few things you missed too, for one,Firefox remembers your sessions when you crash. You can also set it so it will remember what you had open next time you open it again.

[​IMG]

Opera isn't as pretty as Firefox. :D

Oh, and btw, are you now raking it in with all these articles you're getting on digg? I've been wondering why there has been a sudden increase in article activity recently. Where are the articles about ponies? :waah:

9. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

does anyone else think IE7 looks very similar to Safari on OS X?

10. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Does it have mouse guestures ?

I can't live without them now.

11. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I very rarely want a new blank tab, I very often want a duplicate tab so I can keep that page handy and back-arrow to where I came from, one of the nicer features of my Firefox. Middle-clicking on the tab bar re-opens the page I didn't mean to shut. :duh:

After a lot of customising and extension selection, I've got Firefox reacting just as I like, to me its main strength. But it's also its main weakness, out of the box I don't agree with many of the default settings, and it takes a fair bit of study to find out just what tricks this dog-fox can do. Not n00b friendly. Take Search Engines. 8523 available, but check out how long it takes you to find what's on offer in, say, the UK, starting at 'Add Engines'.
    • Add Engines
    • Scroll right down to Additional Resources, spot "Browse through more search engines at mycroft.mozdev.org."
    • Spot "You can use the Advanced Search to browse the categories and search by country or language."
    • Click on that, Bingo!
    Now you're on the page "Add Engines" should have pointed at in the first place. It still lists the most popular (perhaps no.6 shows the typical Firefox user's morals off, can't quite see MS offering that... :naughty: )

Microsoft have a massive advantage when it comes to designing a user interface for non-geeky customers, they actually consider the n00b and research what defaults suit most and annoy least. A decent IE7 interface will just stop n00bs even investigating Firefox. :sigh:

12. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

What I've always wanted is the history of a link to be loaded into a new tab with it. A better explination would be:

I load google, search for "Saved by the bell episode guide" I get a page of results and middle click a few, loading them into new tabs. I then close the google search tab and browse through the 90's comedy goldmine that is in front of me. Those tabs exhausted, I want to be able to click back on them and get the google results back. Unfortunately no browser has this feature, AFAIK :(

13. user0001

user0001 What's a Dremel?

That would explain why IE6 has the same exact aplet.

14. quack

quack Minimodder

Fantastic post. :thumb:

15. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

just to note

the auto search filling in thing, and speel checkers are part of the Google toolbar, and work very well

Its a great system, Ive been using it since i got FireFox now, just another reason to use FireFox (the IE version doesn't/didn't sport these features)

16. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Not quite the same as a "tree" back button, but I use this a lot in similar circumstances.

[​IMG]

Part of Tab Mix Plus, and one of the snags with the way Firefox is developing, they're incorporating some good features from this and other extensions, but leaving other features out that I really must-have. Makes for a clash with the need to make Firefox more complete out-of-the-box for n00bs, and letting me add my own carefully-selected bloat. Would be nice for there to be a lean version available alongside the Home version. :hip:

17. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

middle click the back button :p

18. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

That's why it doesn't work for me! :idea: Well... gotta live without it.

19. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I should have phrased that "I more commonly create..." hence "one of the nicer features of my Firefox." [​IMG]

Love the Smiley Xtra extension...[​IMG]

20. draxar

draxar What's a Dremel?

Same here. At some point I need to find & download the mouse gesture thing for XP that I pointed a friend at a while back.

Right there with you. Especially as Opera 9 now has widgets to fill in the Extensions side of things. Though I'll admit I use Camino on Macs, largely because the computers at my university don't have Opera, and as network computers, it'd take too long to install it every time I use them. Plus I find the command click for new brower window slightly more convienient on one button mice.

With both Camino and Opera, I like the fact that they're simple to use - Opera has a lot of features under the hood, but both have a very simple interface that doesn't throw/push those features at you.

Tags: Add Tags