1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project:Chunk

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Chewy_27, 27 Aug 2006.

1. Chewy_27

Chewy_27 What's a Dremel?

Well, after many years of reading the forums on Bit-Tech it is finally time for my own work log. Instead of doing the sensible thing and start with putting a window into a case or something small, I jump right in the deep end with a brick tied around my ankle.

**Background of project, skip to pictures if you bore easily.

I don't have a place of my own in my house anymore. I am going to eventually renovate the basement and have a huge computer/gaming room, but that is still at least two years off. So I need a mobile computer. I have an IBM r40 laptop that is great, but it just isn't a gaming platform. I considered a true gaming laptop, but you end up paying a fortune and then a year down the road you are lagging behind again. So what I really need is to have a computer that I can drag out every night, and pack up again when I am done at the end of the night. I toyed with a number of layouts, but none of them of them really had a good self contained mobile container. There were cables hang or other problems, so then I hit on this idea.

[​IMG]
    Dual 19" monitors and all full size components. So that was what I starting with in my head. Since the plans have undergone a fair number of changes, but that does give you a good idea of what I started working towards.

I had a buddy who owns a steel shop in Southern Ontario make me up a basic box out of 1/8" aluminum. Overkill I know, but I have kinda lost my feeble grip on reality, so I may as well go all the way.

[​IMG]
    That is what the box looks like now that I have it back from Big Jay. (Thanks buddy, sorry we drank all the money I gave you to pay for the case that same night at the bar...hehe) It is 42" wide, 19" deep and 7" high hence the Chunk name.

[​IMG]
    Now the motherboard I went with is the Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi Edition. Hey, if the case if overkill, why not go all the way. I have it sitting on what is going to be the basic motherboard tray a chunk of carbon kevlar with epoxy resin. (I work in a place that manufactures canoes and kayaks so we test new layups on a regular basis. This is one of those tests)

[​IMG]
    There is a better picture of just the carbon Kevlar.

2. Chewy_27

I did some thinking and came up with a fairly simple bolt/nut/washer combo to get my motherboard attached to my kevlar sheet.

[​IMG]
    The motherboard will be at the far left of that bolt, 5 washers underneath for spacers then two nuts to clamp it on the tray.

[​IMG]
    Here is a better picture of one on the motherboard to give you an idea of what I am talking about.

[​IMG]
    Here is the tray market for drilling.

[​IMG]
    And here is the motherboard mounted on the tray and just set in the case. I still have to figure out exactly where it is going to sit for sure, but that will come. It gives you a good idea of how big this silly thing is.

I hope you guys enjoy this Project. I am going to do my best to keep the updates coming on a regular basis. (I am hoping the guilt of not posting will help keep me motivated.) I am ordering the rest of the parts I will need on Monday. The monitor (one of the two to begin with) is here, but you guys will have to wait to see exactly how bad I have lost it with the monitor.

Chewy27

3. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

nice man

are you going to use the vesa mounts on the monitors then, to flip them into the case ?

also some sort of sprung thing so they can flip up / down ?

interesting project :) gonna be a interesting one ;)

4. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

Yo! That **** is wack!

5. Chewy_27

Thanks guys.

yahooadam - that was originally the plan, but I think I have another way to go about it. The plan is to jam two 21" LCDs into that thing. I am fairly sure it is going to fit, but we will have to see as we go along.

6. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Wow Get some Friction hinges for the mointors or some of the wall mount swith that articulation. Also give it handles or wheel cuz its gonna wieght a ton and a half.

7. OldY

OldY What's a Dremel?

Great design, keep going all the way :D
    What's the spec of the computer?

OldY :thumb:

8. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

that is a very nice idea for a ... 'portable' computer :p (can't call it a laptop...)

I really hope this'll work, good luck on your first mod, you're doing well so-far (you're full of ideas, and that's all you need for modding :) )

9. JAxen

JAxen What's a Dremel?

Looking forward to more of this :D KUTGW M8 :thumb:

10. Muon

Muon What's a Dremel?

i dont know if you've thought of this or not, but if u mounted the monitors on the top of the case, and put a keyboard and mouse in next to the mobo, it'd be kinda all in one ^-^ but in any case keep up the good work, ur off to a good start

11. ssR

ssR Carbon God

sweet idea. beware of that carbon/kevlar. carbon conducts electricity so beware of EMI. i work with composite materials so i know what im talking about. other than that gl, it will be interesting to see how this will turn out :)

12. ZenX

ZenX How are you gentlemen?

You must have bigger muscles than Arnold Schwarzenegger to even "move" that case :D. Definitely gonna follow this log, GL&HF

13. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

maybe, for portability, putting some wheels on one end of the case might be a good idea? Just like those big travel-cases, just like this:
    [​IMG]
    pair of wheels on the left, pair of feet (and a handle) on the other side

14. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

Oh wait, WAIT, DON'T

The vibration of dragging a thing like that will KILL the computer components inside... DON'T give it any wheels, just carry it like a real man would do ;)

15. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

haha yes transportation is gonna be a problem, unless you can like side it out from under your bed and slide it back in when your done xD

16. Heero195

Heero195 What's a Dremel?

Well considering he's building the entire thing from scratch, I don't think some form of vibration damping it's beyond him. Very nice work by the way :rock:

17. Chewy_27

Well, thanks a lot for all the positive responses guys.

First as for wheels, not going to happen. I am far from a skinny guy, so I don't have a big problem lifting a 100lbs case on a regular basis. It won't have to go far on a regular basis, just packed up and set away until the next evening. I don't picture myself having to walk a couple km carrying the beast, then I might have a problem... :D

The computer specs haven't been nailed down for sure yet, but here are the basics.

Asus P5B Deluxe Wi-Fi Edition
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
    Zalman CNPS9500 CPU Cooler
    Western Digital Raptor 74GB SATA 10000RPM 8MB
    Some kind of GeForce ~7300
    2 gigs of DDR2 Ram
    Logitech G5 Mouse
    Logitch G15 Keyboard
    External DVD burner

I can hear the screams of pain already about the video card. Here is the plan, I want to spend about $100 and just get a card to hold me over until Vista hits and the DX10 cards come up. Then I drop the $400-500 and see what that gets me. See, I am not completly mental.

The RAM I am still very torn about what to get. I could go with some basic RAM and spend $150, or I spend $350 and get the crazy high end RAM. I just don't think that the extra $200 is going to give me enough of a performance difference to make it worth the cash. Convince me if you think otherwise.

I love Zalman CPU coolers, I have had very good luck with them. The only problem I have with this cooler is that it is pretty high. I would really prefer a much lower profile cooler so if anyone has any solid suggestions let me know. (Air to start, but I am fairly confident that this system will be water cooled after I get it up and running and assembled)

So I picked up some new hinges today, so hopefully I can get them bent to the shape I want and get the lid attached tomorrow. I will post pictures when I have them. Thanks again for all the positive responses guys.

18. simon_C

simon_C Minimodder

yeah suspend the hard drive with some bungee cords in a frame. basically weave the bungee cords in the frame and slide the drive between them