1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Yuugou" Finished (1 Buy.com Lan pic)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by greensabbath, 23 Mar 2006.

1. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

I would say go all pelts. Go 1/2" and go for 2 yes 2 aquastream pumps. I say powdercoat the aluminum maybe hmm black will prolly look best.

2. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

its very tempting to go balls out on this case as people gave me a lot of gruff last time around for having a really nice case with crap inside it. But why two pumps, i've heard 2 isn't really better than one, especially a nice powerful one.

3. hydro_electric_655

if you run it overclocked It shou dwork I suppose. Generally being a water man myself not just computers but fountains ponds pools etc. Better to have a pump with the same size as the pipe or one size smaller. So I suppose one is the way to go. I actually want to order on. Just make a little something Kinda wanted to mod a case with WC but sine I can't afford to leave it empty or use my current comp. Think It might be fun.

4. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior What's a Dremel?

greensabbath - just a hypothetical, but in keeping with the current theme, would it be possible to make two front/back covers out of wood as well (not necessarily koa) instead of having the black alu ones?

From my experience with woodworking, it has been easy enough to route holes with a good degree of accuracy...surely it wouldn't be beyond the reach of your skills to do something like that...especially considering it is your second case :)

all said, just a hypothetical. what do you think?

5. LOTTARO

LOTTARO What's a Dremel?

BEOTIFOLLL! :D

6. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Thanks a lot guys. I've already ditched the peltier idea since its just not worth the hassle.

its definately possible but there are a few issues with it. For it to work with solid wood the panels would have to be pretty thick or else they'd warp and eventually crack. Also they have to hold up quite a bit of weight. If they were thick then the routing would be a pain, thin and they wouldn't hold up since there are about 40 bajillion holes in the back panel. Now, if I used plywood, it would work a little better but eh, plywood kinda sucks. The best option besides those is putting veneer over the alu that i already cut. this would make the panels the same strength but they'd look like wood. Then i'd have to decide what kind of wood, etc.. Its a fair idea though and i'll definately consider it. Any wood suggestions?

Update tonight, the side panels should be further along, stay tuned.

7. Mr_SCSI

Mr_SCSI What's a Dremel?

You options are endless!

How far you wanna go?

How about some inlay work... Maybe trim the 5.25" with some boxwood inlay with a nice rosewood face?

So instead of having stealthed drives you would make a feature of them?

Or go the other way... say beechwood veneer with ebony inlay?

Do you want the front and rear panels to match or stand out from the main frame/case?

8. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Noooooo, endless options give me a headache!!!! i don't know what i want to do now. I was planning on going with a slot loading drive so the only thing that was going to be on the front is a single slot in the middle of a lot of blackness.

Inlay hmmm, could be interesting for the front panel. The back panel i'm less concerned with it since it will have so many holes you won't be able to see much of a design, although i can put any base wood from the front on the back to make it look more finished.

I'll have to think about this more during today's training ride. More suggestions and ideas from you all would be much appreciated too.

9. hydro_electric_655

Just take some koa plane it really thin and glue it onto the aluminum.

10. Mr_SCSI

Mr_SCSI What's a Dremel?

lol, sorry for the headache! :worried:

Well maybe instead of inlay around the drives, keep the slot load and use the inlay to form a picture/scene/name etc?

like etching a window but using the inlay. :idea:

would help break up all that 'blackness' you mentioned.

11. z4114

z4114 FACE!

I'd have to agree. You would retain the great look of the wood while having the strength and support of the aluminium. Plus you could do some good looking stealthing for any optical drives you plan on having.

12. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

That might actually look quite nice. I could just get some veneer too since koa is the biggest pain to plane and i saw a nice bundle at my local shop...hmm....

Actually you guys are on to something. In my stash of veneers i have a lot of curly maple and the store has curly koa and a design out of that to tie the sides in with the top and front would look pretty sweet, good work everyone

13. z4114

z4114 FACE!

Definetly go with the curly koa veneer to keep the materials uniform.

What type of wood shop do you go to to find such woods?

14. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

it depends a lot on the wood. For most hardwoods i go to either White Brothers or Mcbeath which are both specialty hardwood shops but also have plywood and moulding and crap like that too. My dad got the koa from hawaii on his honeymoon since koa is really hard to get here. The veneer i'm going to get down the street at Japan Woodworker which is actually a japanese tool store but they have a lot of other cool stuff too like veneer. I've also gotten a lot of veneer online, preferably when they show pictures of what you're actually getting.

15. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior What's a Dremel?

i'd reccomend keeping with the koa to keep a constant theme throughout the case. Going on what you've shown, it's a fairly simple design. It would be a shame to add too many textures/colours and make the case look too "busy".

16. Mr_SCSI

Mr_SCSI What's a Dremel?

The curly koa sounds the best, just trying to remember the correct name for it! :thumb:

If it's what I think your describing it's the effects of a disease, dog gambit, whats it called!?! :grr: :duh:

17. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

For fun, these are some of the woods i might be using:

Curly Koa
    [​IMG]

Curly Maple
    [​IMG]

Birdseye Maple
    [​IMG]

I did a bit of googling and i couldn't find any disease associated with the curly figured. They pretty much labled it as a mystery. The Birdseye i always thought was cause by a fungus but they seemed unsure about that too. Whatever the cause is, it produces some really nice lumber.

18. Mr_SCSI

Mr_SCSI What's a Dremel?

That's it.... although I was thinking about 'Burr'.

and yes your right fungus is the cause, though fungus is a disease of sorts I think?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: 29 Aug 2006
  19. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I absolutely love the curving on the wood across the panels. To me it could be interpreted as the harsh lines of PCBs and components calmed and retained by classical design.

20. Mr_SCSI

Mr_SCSI What's a Dremel?

madulery rays (sp) look superb once finished and polished. :hip:

EDIT~

My spelling's getting worse! :blush:

Last edited: 29 Aug 2006