1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Apple wireless networking sucks ass

Discussion in 'Software' started by Guest-16, 26 Aug 2006.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

For starters airport has no WPA, only WEP. And it doesn't work with our netgear router, it will ONLY connect to non-encrypted networks. I can't even get it to connect to our router through the wired connection!? Ive no idea how. It even has DHCP so it should be a simple pnp effort but it isnt. Apple is great for stuff it produces itself, but add some other manufacturer into the mix and everything goes to ****. At least windows works. :miffed: It's not for me, it's for my brother and his MacBook.

Would someone please explain to me how to get wireless working with a netgear router, as I am NOT unencrypting our network. It wont work with 40 or 128bit WEP and I know the key is correct. The router is set to g only and is on channel 3.

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Really? My wife has a Mac mini (PowerPC version) which connects to the wireless network (Belkin bridge) using WPA just fine. Don't remember any problems setting it up...

3. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I could be reading that wrong, but am I right in thinking you can't get the only Mac you have to connect to a previously PC only wireless network as the router won't allow you to connect with the WEP password set?

Have you tried adding a $ (dollar sign) infront of the WEP password on the Mac first? I know that on both my old D-Link and current Belkin jobbies I need to type in the WEP password prefixed by a $ or it won't recognise it.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You, Sir, are a Genius of Genius Bar proportions.

Still cant get ethernet to work. Have DHCP enabled and it sees the network but the "apply" button doesnt highlight!?

5. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

You should just use a normal wireless router belkin or netgear the apple one is crap. I run my laptop via my netgear wireless route using wpa fine :)

DHCP should just work, sounds like their is something odd going on, may I suggest popping over to http://forums.macrumors.com/ and seeing if anyone their can help? :)

6. simon_C

simon_C Minimodder

no i have this dhcp issue sometimes myself. turn off the mac, then restart your router and modem simultaneously. wait for them router and modem to finish booting, then turn on the mac. it should see that its on a network.

dont need to hit apply, dhcp does things automatically. only need to use the apply button when a gateway or dns server is added. or if you change the protocol.

And dont you just love it how people just automatically say something sucks ass because they cant figure out how to use it correctly?

7. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

You don't need to click apply.

Wireless on Mac's is pretty lame if you use encryption in all honesty, but if you don't its perfectly fine.

On the DHCP front, you don't need to click apply unless you're changing from Static to Dynamic (DHCP) or vice versa.

With DHCP you need to click 'Renew address' or something like that.

Try setting the ethernet port speed manually, set it to this, just to make sure it can get a connection:

[​IMG]

8. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

funny how i've never had an issue with that...

older version of OS X?

OS 9 maybe?

I know 10.2 or better I've never had to prefix with $ using any router or connecting any system to my airport extreme or airport express base stations

9. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I had to use the $. I think it depends on whether you're using a hex key or a ascii one. I remember having a lot of fun and games with it, there's no doubt it's not the easiest thing in the world. Having said that, nor is wireless in Windows so I'd say it's about evens.

10. EK-MDi

EK-MDi What's a Dremel?

Wow! That is really bad, LOL. That's Macs for you, :hehe:.

11. simon_C

simon_C Minimodder

EXCUSE me? did you even read any of the posts in this thread?

12. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Get out.

13. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

seriously though, did you read?

it was a simple case of not knowing an odd thing about a mac/mac os...

14. Abydox

Abydox What's a Dremel?

dunno what you do wrong but i've setup a couple of networks with a mac included and it works fine. I used the $ only on 1 of the networks whch was using a bekin router.... i use a cisco linksys myself and that works perfect 2

Tags: